Could you do this?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I get that dying is dying and 1000 feet is just as fatal as 15000 but something about this gives me the heebejeebes (sp)

You've got a reserve 'chute dont you? I see motorless paragliders climbing waaay high, far more peaceful than with that lawn mower behind you.

No way in fu $$ing hell. The on only reason I jumped out of a plane was ...I had no choice, the jump master made the call..ready?..er... here we gooooo

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Doesn't bother me at all. In fact, this time of the year, that's probably the safest place to be in an open-cockpit aircraft. The raptors get very territorial at lower altitudes this time of year. They're protecting their mating and nesting areas.

Rich

I love this guys YouTube channel. A friend of mine recently turned me onto it. I don't think I'd ever muster up the courage to try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh hell yeah...as long as I had a reserve chute on.

I have zero desire to Skydive but after checking out his channel for some reason that thing looks like a blast.

He's young and in shape and basically just sitting still and you can hear the hints of hypoxia in his speech and thought patterns of what he's talking about.

Other than that, those things look kinda fun. Just don't see any reason to take them up quite that high.

Having flown paramotors for about 5 years, I can say that anything over a thousand feet or so is just boring. Plus, it gets cold up there. Yeah, I climbed to 5280' once just to day I did, but most PPG flying is at low altitude.

Now unpowered PG, that's a different story, the whole point is to get high and stay high.

Last year a guy at our local HG site climbed to 8800msl before running out of lift. He was but a wee speck in the sky.

I would hate to see someone dangling from nowhere at 8k in my flight path

I would hate to see someone dangling from nowhere at 8k in my flight path

And we all know cirrus pilots only see traffic if their plane tells them it's there huh @SixPapaCharlie

I've always been told if I repeat jokes they get funnier. ;)

Last edited:
Always wondered about this guy. He is right in between philly and new york. Do they need to file a notam for parachuting at those altitudes?

Hoping to try out a parameter this summer at low altitude.

Always wondered about this guy. He is right in between philly and new york. Do they need to file a notam for parachuting at those altitudes?

Hoping to try out a parameter this summer at low altitude.

He's not parachuting; a paramotor is an ultralight operating under Part 103.

And we all know cirrus pilots only see traffic if their plane tells them it's there huh @SixPapaCharlie

I've always been told if I repeat jokes they get funnier. ;)
I've heard of 3 midairs in the region... 2 involved cirri...and the third involved a DPE...

He's not parachuting; a paramotor is an ultralight operating under Part 103.

Yeah, i haven't reviewed their rules. Just guessed there would be something, as he would make more of mess than a 3 lb drone.

I've heard of 3 midairs in the region... 2 involved cirri...and the third involved a DPE...
Which region? I remember the one where the cirrus hit the glider tow pilot outside of Boulder. That was sad. The parents of the tow pilot set up a flight scholarship in his name.

Which region? I remember the one where the cirrus hit the glider tow pilot outside of Boulder. That was sad. The parents of the tow pilot set up a flight scholarship in his name.
If you remember that one then maybe you know bout the DPE intersecting a training flight....and then there was cirri intersecting a cezzna near Rock Springs (well somewhere in western Wyoming, think it was Rock Springs).

So no NOTAM's?

No, not as long as the requirements of Part 103 are adhered to.

Ultralight operators are required to adhere to NOTAMs and TFRs (FAR 103.19, 20), but not to file any sort of notice of their own activities.

Rich

No, not as long as the requirements of Part 103 are adhered to.

Ultralight operators are required to adhere to NOTAMs and TFRs (FAR 103.19, 20), but not to file any sort of notice of their own activities.

Rich
nice!! just when i thought i could find some peace at 9000 AGL

You can. Do it at night. Or within the lateral boundaries of a Class E airport. Or above a cloud layer (once you have your private pilot certificate). Or in Class B.

Personally, I think the higher you go in an ultralight that's under power, the less fun it is. Everyone climbs to max altitude for their machine at least once or twice just to get it out of their system, but that's about it. It takes forever to climb to the top, and there's nothing especially exciting once you get there.

Rich

You can. Do it at night. Or within the lateral boundaries of a Class E airport. Or above a cloud layer (once you have your private pilot certificate). Or in Class B.
After my real world cloud flying today, I am signing up for IFR, the very next day I get my PPL

I would do this but unfortunately I would become bored with the 200fpm climb and abort real quick.

I like how this event has almost become a pandemic for members here! " oh no, now I have to look out the window for other aircraft flying legally"

Done it. Not that high but I didn't have a motor either, just lift from the side of a mountain. Say what you will about this but I can tell you - this is the closest you will ever come to actually flying like you do when you dream about flying.

What's the matter with you guys ? Don't you want to get airborne every possible way ? There's more to flying than just hammering around in a noisy spam can !

I would do this but unfortunately I would become bored with the 200fpm climb and abort real quick.

200fpm (though most do quite a bit better than that) at 20mph is actually a decent climb angle. Besides, even at 200fpm you reach your cruise altitude in a minute or two...

Not my video, but it's me with the yellow and black wing over the quarry:

200fpm (though most do quite a bit better than that) at 20mph is actually a decent climb angle. Besides, even at 200fpm you reach your cruise altitude in a minute or two...

Not my video, but it's me with the yellow and black wing over the quarry:
Great video, thank you. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have one and I would enjoy the heck out of it. One of the reasons I want to get an ultralight.
Now you got me looking at a paraglider, my wife might want to have a talk with you! She is five foot of fury! :D

Back