Could we do an "outside turn" in our spam cans?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Instead of banking into the turn, applying back pressure, bank away and use downward elevator to do an outside level turn...

Would it work?

Thinking it would require a good amount of rudder to keep the nose up.
My plane is in annual or I would go try it.

You will rip the wings off of it doing it that way. And when you get back to the airport all your so-called friends will laugh at your now funny looking airplane.

Other than that, it should work perfectly.

Instead of banking into the turn, applying back pressure, bank away and use downward elevator to do an outside level turn...

Would it work?

Nope, in a normal plane not successfully without losing a ton of altitude.

Aerobatic plane, yup.

Since you load the wing in an inside turn, you would be unloading the wing in an outside turn. You would be unloading it past 0. So negative Gs.
And for that, you'd need an inverted fuel system.
Let us know how much that STC costs for a Cirrus and then post a video. (of you paying for the STC, not the flying) :D

Would it work?

Only if you’re inverted.

Not your way in the air, but a penguin can do it that way in the water. To do it in the air, just bank a little and use a lot of (opposite) rudder. Or start from inverted.

Last edited:
Your lift vector needs to be in the positive direction to keep you in a level turn. That means any turn will be an inside turn unless you're inverted.

Sure you could, but you'd be gliding through the turn and descending since your engine would have quit under neg G. No need to use rudder for the turn itself - of course you'll be doing a little more than a half roll to get inverted and may or may not use rudder depending on how you roll in. Don't f'n try it of course. LOL

In case I wasn't clear enough in my above post last night, you CAN do this, "this" meaning "turn opposite the bank" (I used to do it with my students), but not by using forward elevator. You still need to hold back pressure. Bank, say, five or ten degrees in one direction and use opposite rudder in the direction you want to turn. Then I'd ask my student if we were making a skidding or slipping turn.

As for the penguins--I've studied how they bank when turning at the Detroit Zoo back in the early eighties. They bank belly-side inward. Go fig'r.

Last edited:
There was an air show guy that would do a 360 clockwise turn while doing counter clockwise rolls. Thinking of the required inputs makes my head hurt.

Back