Cost of PPL training?

Got any data to backup your assertion that quality of primary training is lesser with a lower-hour CFI vs. an old goat? You're painting with a very broad brush.

Edit - I see you gave yourself a way out with the word potential... and I don't disagree with you in that instance.
I've seen 300 hour guys that flew their daddy's taildragger that are of pretty good, and I've seen a few older guys that weren't that great, but generally, the guys I respect and know in the industry, and the guys that are the "go-to" guys for any given problem are 40-60 years old with experience. I'm not going to throw data at you, but that's my observation over the last 10 years that I've been flying airplanes. You'll also note that it's pretty rare to see a DPE that is any younger than that.

Fair enough. I just think we should be careful saying things like

Just make sure he loves to teach and isn't a rookie shooting for the airlines.

Because a CFI could fit both of those criteria. A student's primary training isn't necessarily compromised because the CFI is a young kid aiming for an aviation career.

That said, yes, age and experience usually trumps youth and inexperience:)

No wonder active pilot numbers are plummeting. Who would want to start up with this info?

We could lie, and tell people getting your license is free, and the govt pays you to finish your comm cert because there's a pilot shortage, and the starting pay is mid-six figures.

I don't like to lie to strangers. People I know, sure - I'll lie right to them but strangers, well I want to get to know them better before I start telling the fibs.:redface:

We could lie, and tell people getting your license is free, and the govt pays you to finish your comm cert because there's a pilot shortage, and the starting pay is mid-six figures.

I don't like to lie to strangers. People I know, sure - I'll lie right to them but strangers, well I want to get to know them better before I start telling the fibs.:redface:

Uhh, wasn't suggesting lying. Learning in Napa Valley is going to cost more than upstate NY. But so is living in general, relatively speaking.

There are still ways to get your PPL on the cheap around here. I'm guessing, by the posts here, that this doesn't apply everywhere.

And I don't consider headsets and flight bags part of the price. That kinda stuff drives me nuts.

What a difference 7 years makes! When I started end of 2006 finishing 2007:

1. Pilots were screaming that fuel would eventually go over $3 a gallon
2. The C-152 I rented initially at $60 increased to $70 for checkride
3. CFI was $30/hr and increased to $35 last couple of lessons.
4. Finished with multiple "goof off" flights that I asked for at about 60 hrs total.

1. fuel $0.50 gal
2. 7AC wet $7.00
3. CFI $2.00 hr
4. Average time required for ppl 40 hr
GA has increased a lot since then, I like to think for the better.

Fair enough. I just think we should be careful saying things like

Just make sure he loves to teach and isn't a rookie shooting for the airlines.

Because a CFI could fit both of those criteria. A student's primary training isn't necessarily compromised because the CFI is a young kid aiming for an aviation career.

That said, yes, age and experience usually trumps youth and inexperience:)
True, but I've seen at least 6 instructors in my circles that fit my description dump 5-10 students for their new job. Left 'em hanging and cost most of their students more in the long run than the other guy would have. It may not be fair to the young buck CFI, and I've been there, but a student should at least be informed going in.

I definitely agree with you from that perspective.

I was certain to inquire about my CFI's intentions before I started because I was not interested in switching instructors midway through.

JoseCuervo, I actually did find a guaranteed ppl price at one place out of Caldwell Idaho I believe. Think it was around 8k.

My grandpa who I flew with growing up actually told me before he passed away it was cheaper to buy a Taylorcraft. Something to look into, but I might have to see how comfortable it would be. Really I should have thought about getting my ppl before my family sold my grandpa's super ultra decathlon last year. It was a tail dragger, might have been harder to learn, but would have been cheaper and I was sort of familiar with it.

Also fiveoboy01, thanks for the break down. Very helpful.

Glad I found this forum a lot of good info. I really like to research before dive head first into things.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Oh, so old guys can't become a CFI?

I know a guy who only learned to fly at age 65 got his PPL and then went on to
get various other tickets and his CFII, he is now 70 and his services are very much in demand with students at the flight school he works out of.

The same flight school also employed the services of a young CFI around 3 years back, he had held his ticket for only a month, his first ever student a young lady in her twenties stalled the plane on landing as they had just got over the threshold! The plane was bent beyond economical repair, thankfully they both climbed out uninjured. The CFI decided the job wasn't for him...the girl went on to get her PPL a year later.

Back