Cost of Avionic Install

BARRY BORUTSKI

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Avionics Unlimited
When i read the post by someone that stated they paid $800.00 in labour....i felt i had a duty to enlighten. I am a retired Canadian Avionic Tech...still holding a valid E21 Canadian Licence.
The most hours a technician could squeeze out of a G5 Installation is 2 or 3 hours....after installing CB and connecting the lights...well.....time to cruise the net for the next 2 hours....

It is a crime for a shop to charge that. I have been building Garmin Harness Assy for the past 2 years now. Last project was for a...complete...G3 system...all interconnected to the multiple Avionic Units for $2200.00 USD.....complete harness flowed imto Aircraft as a continous loop..hook up pwr..gnd...DONE...

Its so sad that shops are taking advantage of pilo

In defense of whoever installed the G5, potentially, not all G5 installations are equal. In a certified plane, besides the paperwork, the G5 either needs to be connected to a WAAS navigator or needs a GPS antenna installed. If it is a DG, it will need the GMU11 mounted and wired. If it is an HSI, it needs the GMU11 and GAD29 mounted and wired. If there is a plastic panel overlay, that needs to be cut and fit to the G5. If it is going to be flush mounted, the panel needs to be cut and the flush mount adapter mounted to the panel.

We are fortunate in our part of the world. We have an absolute top notch avionics shop 49 nM from our airport that doesn’t gouge on price, very good and very fair. Southern hospitality at its best.

Not sure which thread it’s being referenced here, but when I had my G5 s installed , it noticed first hand how much work it was with everything Jesse mentioned. I think I had a bargain back then , some shops charge a whole lot more. My shop is 8 miles away, good guy, charges you per install, not hour.

I am going to miss him when I move from here.... but I will be lot closer to Jesse

In defense of whoever installed the G5, potentially, not all G5 installations are equal. In a certified plane, besides the paperwork, the G5 either needs to be connected to a WAAS navigator or needs a GPS antenna installed. If it is a DG, it will need the GMU11 mounted and wired. If it is an HSI, it needs the GMU11 and GAD29 mounted and wired. If there is a plastic panel overlay, that needs to be cut and fit to the G5. If it is going to be flush mounted, the panel needs to be cut and the flush mount adapter mounted to the panel.
And, optionally, installing and interfacing to an OAT probe, and connecting to the autopilot, the testing the who thing, doing a revised W&B, …

Also, what's involved in hooking up the pitot and static lines?

I’ve installed 5 G5s.

I bet it took me two hours just to complete the log entry, equipment list revision, weight and balance revision, 337, electrical load analysis, print and fill out the airplane flight manual supplement, and print new compass correction placards post-compass swing.

I farmed out the pitot & static system inspections to a CRS. $400 per airplane for that. In reality there should be a pre-mod inspection to catch bad instruments and/or out of tolerance leaks so appropriate action can be applied on the front end and not find it on the back end.

I wouldn’t touch a dual G5 (ADI & HSI) for less than 40 hours. If the airplane hasn’t passed a pitot/static system inspection in years expect additional costs.

one thing I really don’t like, the way a lot of these are being bused, just thrown onto an existing breaker, and god knows what else was already on it.

I spent at least 2 hours just pattern, fabricating, acid etch, alodine, prime and painting the doublers and fillers for the G5 & GMU mounts.

Last edited:
...I am going to miss him when I move from here.... but I will be lot closer to Jesse

Your airplane is going to hate you. You know, high humidity corroding everything, salt air oxidizing the paint, sun bleaching the interior, all those bikinis...

Last edited:
Often a good rule of thumb is that the list price of the avionics will be the price of the installation plus the discounted price of the unit. Of course, some things (like audio panels) are a bit more involved in the installation for the price.

Been looking seriously at the GI 275 ADHRS + AP to replace my KCS 55 system. I grabbed a look at the IM, and the installation of this unit looks much simpler than a G5. Ethernet from the GPS, RS232 from the Nav, OAT probe, a GMU 11 and the outputs to the A/P. Yeah, the unit itself is spendier, but install should take half the time if you have later gen avionics. It kills me to have to have a shop install it though, not so much for the money, but I hate having anyone else work behind the panel.

Your airplane us going to hate you. You know, high humidity corroding everything, salt air oxidizing the paint, sun bleaching the interior, all those bikinis...

upload_2021-2-3_9-54-27.png

Back