cost for private pilot lic

I dunno, maybe it's me. I think I keep typing "I know they charge $40". But somehow people keep thinking I'm unaware that they do.

So... I know flight schools charge $40 and up.

(Let me pause here, for that to sink in.)

I was just curious as to how long it's been that expensive.

I think people are confused because you are asking for an arbitrary date to describe a change that happened over may years and varied by region...

I think people are confused because you are asking for an arbitrary date to describe a change that happened over may years and varied by region...

Naaa. They're not confused. They just don't read for comprehension. It's easy to skim posts (I do it), and not get the question being asked.

I doubt it was a smooth increase over time. Gas price increase sure wasn't.

The more often you fly when your training, the cheaper it will be. I was flying 4 days a week which kept it fresh. Only flying a couple hours on a Sat is gonna end up being more expensive.

Find a free lance instructor that is in it for the fun.

if you can afford a new car you can afford to fly.

Paying $10k over a year an a half to get a PP is not extraordinary for some, but for a young kid, a student, or obviously someone with a family income in the working poverty range, it's out of reach.

There are no tax breaks, it's strictly a luxury item. But one of the most expensive hobby's out there (feeding the hobby by either owning or renting in an ongoing basis).

Racing cars, yachting and thoroughbred horse breeding might be higher in cost, but flying has to be the more practical of the group. Since part of it is actual transportation, and sight seeing.

Find a free lance instructor that is in it for the fun.

if you can afford a new car you can afford to fly.

This is a misleading statement, especially since MOST people finance a new car for 4-5 years now a days. This puts monthly payments in the $300 range.

$300 month is not enough for primary fight training.

Somebody mentioned $1000 per month. This seems about right.

Racing cars, yachting and thoroughbred horse breeding might be higher in cost, but flying has to be the more practical of the group. Since part of it is actual transportation, and sight seeing.[/QUOTE]

And it's way cooler! ;-)

Racing cars, yachting and thoroughbred horse breeding might be higher in cost, but flying has to be the more practical of the group. Since part of it is actual transportation, and sight seeing.

And it's way cooler! ;-)

Horse breeding can actually make money, let me know when you get a stud fee for your plane.:rofl:;) Racing cars can be done on a much smaller budget than flying unless you include Pt 103 Ultralight flying. For transportation and sightseeing, the yacht is strong completion especially for practicality since you travel in your home. Dollar for dollar on the travel and sight seeing I would say a Diesel powered Class B or C RV would be of greatest value, or something built on an FL50 chassis.

why dont you put advice instead of being a pumpus ass people like you are the issue with the world you go out of your way to be a dick with no benefit to you or the rest of the world

why dont you put advice instead of being a pumpus ass people like you are the issue with the world you go out of your way to be a dick with no benefit to you or the rest of the world
Who was this directed to:confused:. I think everyone posted an average cost and what to expect to pay for a PPL.

Who was this directed to:confused:. I think everyone posted an average cost and what to expect to pay for a PPL.

In the upper right of your display locate the "Display Modes" drop down menu and switch to the threaded mode. The resulting tree structure should show you the post he responded to. You'll probably want to switch back to linear mode afterwords.

I'd like to add for the OP that you can greatly influence the cost of getting your license by how hard you work at the process. Don't wait to be spoonfed everything. Know what you're going to work on for each lesson and read up on it ahead of time. Be prepared. Make sure at the end of each lesson you understand what you've learned .. if not ask questions. Review what you learned when you get home. Think about it for a while.
Fly enough for optimum retention ... whatever that is for you. I found 3 times a week best. Have time to mentally review before next lesson .. but not so much flying you get over loaded.

Have fun.

RT

Back