Cost effective autopilot option?

zbrown5

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Zach
I am looking at a Debonair that does not have an autopilot other than the basic Beech wing leveler gizmo. While the dream would be a GFC500, I am wondering if there is a more cost effective option for now that would just be a nice single axis AP that could track a heading or a course from the 530. Any thoughts? Is there anything you know of that can use the existing servos from the wing leveler? The biggest hurdle with a 2 axis is getting the elevator servo installed and i don't have a tremendous need for altitude hold or the ability for an AP to fly a glide slope intercept.

Thanks.

I am looking at a Debonair that does not have an autopilot other than the basic Beech wing leveler gizmo. While the dream would be a GFC500, I am wondering if there is a more cost effective option for now that would just be a nice single axis AP that could track a heading or a course from the 530. Any thoughts? Is there anything you know of that can use the existing servos from the wing leveler? The biggest hurdle with a 2 axis is getting the elevator servo installed and i don't have a tremendous need for altitude hold or the ability for an AP to fly a glide slope intercept.

Thanks.
Is TruTrak an option for your airplane?

The GFC500 is pretty inexpensive, especially considering what it is. The STEC30 with GPSS works really well, though I don't know how much they cost.

Interesting. So itll track course input from the 530-driven CDI? Any guess as to ballpark pricing and install cost?

The Husky I bought last fall has one of these in it. The plane will cruise at 115 knots all day and has 50 gallons usable fuel, so I do some solo cross-country with it. The Century 1 works rather well imo.
Heading is selectable from either the King KX-155 nav VOR or the King IFR GPS that is in the plane. All this stuff is more than I would ordinarily have in a Husky, but Aviat delivered it equipped exactly this way to the original owner, and everything still works fine.

I would expect it should be no problem for an avionics shop to wire one up with heading info from a GNS-530. No idea on costs, but I would expect installed it is quite a bit less expensive than a Garmin GFC500 or STEC. It looks like it is approved for the entire series of Beech 33s. Contact Century. I am sure they would be happy to help you with the info you need.

Last edited:
I started with the basic Brittain wing leveler in my Debonair. I then added the accutrack that will follow a gps track. I picked it up used and sent it to Brittain for them to go thru it. Unfortunately they are currently in limbo, but hopefully will be back in business soon. That would probably be your cheapest option.

Zach, just sent you an e-mail in case you might be interested in a Century 1, we are thinking about upgrading to a Garmin to get the altitude hold and approach capabilities.

I was wondering if anyone was going to say wife, but I’m not sure that falls under the “cost effective” requirement.

^ that.

Way more economical to get that GFC500

The GFC500 is pretty inexpensive, especially considering what it is. The STEC30 with GPSS works really well, though I don't know how much they cost.

Our club plane has a STEC30 with altitude hold. But no GPSS. I really like it though.

A good otto pilot can't be that expensive....

16446157.jpg

Back