CorrosionX treatments....what gets treated?

Unit74

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Unit74
I was at the shop and the Corrosion X guy was there, so I said what the hell, go for it. Prevention is cheaper than replacements.

I know he did the engine bay, because I can see/smell the treatment. But when I pulled an inspection cover on the empanage there was no evidence what so ever of any coatings. The metal was dry and nothing has touched it all all.

When they do a plane, what is supposed to be done? I was under the impression, the whole thing sans the cabin. Doesn't make sense to me why the empanage was skipped.

They should treat everything that can be physically accessed.

He either missed it, or is cutting corners.

Yep, typically you remove every access panel or plate or anything that can be removed and then you shove the fogging wand anywhere you can reach. It's really handy to do this at annual since you've opened up all those things anyhow.

Looks like I was short changed then.....big time! The log book says he did it, no evidence of it being done at all!

Don't be surprised if you see some smoke for a few seconds from the engine compartment after start up. If you get overspray on cylinders or exhaust, it'll smoke that stuff right off. But yeah, he should've done the airframe as well. That stuff stays oily in there for a couple years after application. ACF-50 is also a popular application although I think it costs more.

I didn't have smoke, but I did smell some type of burning fume.

Let us know how he responds when you tell him that you think he's a crook!

:popcorn:

:)

I already called... He sounded surprised. It was farmed out to a local Corrosion X rep. I was charged full tilt and he said he would take care of it. When I drop the airframe off, I'll have him do a cursory inspection for what was done. I think he will be surprised at what was NOT done. I know he'll take care of it.

I already called... He sounded surprised. It was farmed out to a local Corrosion X rep. I was charged full tilt and he said he would take care of it. When I drop the airframe off, I'll have him do a cursory inspection for what was done. I think he will be surprised at what was NOT done. I know he'll take care of it.

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt for now. Although he's responsible for the guys he uses, things happen. Hopefully he'll make it right.

It's a messy process,and if done properly,the treatment will leak out of the aircraft joints for a short time.

Yeah, mine was treated sometime long before I purchased it. There are still areas where you can see the remnants of the corrosion-x seeping out.....the inside of the airframe, everywhere, is completely coated. Makes a big mess of you when you are reaching inside to do something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Someone was griping to me about the Corrosion X ooze and I said I hadn't noticed. I did go out eventually and look carefully. Yep, it was oozing. There are just some advantages to having a dark colored aircraft...

How much weight does it add?

Just curious, after reading about extra pounds that unexplained by logbook entries.

How much weight does it add?

Just curious, after reading about extra pounds that unexplained by logbook entries.

ACF-50 is about like WD-40, maybe a little heavier. I "soaked" a plane with it that we were pulling out of storage and literally dripped out for weeks while we were still finishing up inspections. That airplane had been stripped and repainted, brand new interior with sound proofing foam insulation throughout the cabin and it weight about 40 pounds heavier. It had a lot of Arizona reddish looking dirt in the wings.

Back