Correct way to pick up the wing in a stall

Question for the CFIs, but it's really just a technicality:

In some trainers, intentional spins are prohibited. One of several good lessons I got was when my CFI did exactly what has been described - slow flight, juuuust above the stall, then apply aileron inputs and cause the unexpected wing to drop. That would set up an incipient spin that would require inputs to correct, but simple enough for a low-time student to handle. The lesson was to show what can happen, and why, at high angles of attack.

At what point does "no intentional spins" become an intentional spin?
Dunno. My personal view is that an intentional spin is when you hold pro-spin control inputs through the entry to fully develop the spin, rather than apply anti-spin control inputs at the entry and incipient phase.

Maybe I'm missing something.

If you're stalled...it's too late to use the ailerons, you're falling with style.

If you've fully stalled and you're uncoordinated, then whether you lifted the wing up or not is irrelevant, you're spinning whether the wing was up or down.

In the incipient stall, you're still flying, so you're use the ailerons. If you let a wing drop, then you're flying a different direction.

I have read things that say to use rudder at slow speed because that great big rudder will be more effective than the ailerons. But I don't think that advice was meant for incipient stalls, it was meant for slow flight. The trick is that the two are very close to each other.

Maybe I'm missing something.

If you're stalled...it's too late to use the ailerons, you're falling with style.

If you've fully stalled and you're uncoordinated, then whether you lifted the wing up or not is irrelevant, you're spinning whether the wing was up or down.

In the incipient stall, you're still flying, so you're use the ailerons. If you let a wing drop, then you're flying a different direction.

I have read things that say to use rudder at slow speed because that great big rudder will be more effective than the ailerons. But I don't think that advice was meant for incipient stalls, it was meant for slow flight. The trick is that the two are very close to each other.

Here's how I would explain what you're asking above:
An uncoordinated stall is the recipe for a spin AKA incipient spin.
In a stall, MOST modern airplanes are designed such that the wing is stalled out to the few inches or so where the ailerons are. In such situation, use of aileron may result in reverse command and agravate any attempt to correct a wing drop, possibly producing a wing over into a spin, which is why it is best to neutralize aileron.
The rudder is usually by design the last airfoil to give up the ghost, so it is usually still effective for directional control and lateral stability.

Back