Coronavirus... a positive story...

Hey Tim, J and I have lots of friends that are school teachers, including my daughter. Where as many people think they are taking a two week paid vacation, I think they are working harder now than if school were in session. All of them are involved in getting food to their students (although I don't think they have come up with the school bus idea). In addition to that all of the teachers had to make lesson plans up where the students could use the internet to keep up with their studies. Since they know some students may not have decent or any wifi access they have also put together paper lessons that they hand out with the food, and yes sometimes they have to go the extra mile to drive to their homes to get those lesson plans in the students hands. I know Ashley (my daughter) is also actively involved in calling to check in on her students and give them any assistance she can.

It is just this dads opinion, but I don't think our teachers are paid enough for what they do.

Hey Tim, J and I have lots of friends that are school teachers, including my daughter. Where as many people think they are taking a two week paid vacation, I think they are working harder now than if school were in session. All of them are involved in getting food to their students (although I don't think they have come up with the school bus idea). In addition to that all of the teachers had to make lesson plans up where the students could use the internet to keep up with their studies. Since they know some students may not have decent or any wifi access they have also put together paper lessons that they hand out with the food, and yes sometimes they have to go the extra mile to drive to their homes to get those lesson plans in the students hands. I know Ashley (my daughter) is also actively involved in calling to check in on her students and give them any assistance she can.

It is just this dads opinion, but I don't think our teachers are paid enough for what they do.

My daughter is a teacher in the Hilliard School District. I agree. She is doing all this while her husband teleworks, and with three kids under the age of 5 at home. Not an easy task, and she doesn’t want help from us because we are in the vulnerable age group. Maybe they should all get a bonus or raise for going above and beyond.

My daughter teaches high school in a small rural district. I think this year she has 30(?) seniors. With all K-12 public schools shut down they have next week to figure out how to go online. This is not a college prep school, but some kids will go to college, most won’t. If the seniors can’t finish either on time or at all, I suspect too many will just leave and get a GED later. Not every student has internet at home, those that do won't have high speed or even reliable connections. And if they do have a computer at home it may have to be shared with a parent trying to work from home or siblings also trying to get their schoolwork done.

She had a head start on converting lesson plans and teaching style because the college where she also teaches announced a couple weeks ago they are going online.

The teachers will figure something out, but I really am not sure how a lot of those kids are going to get through all this very well. One of her seniors has a D-I football scholarship waiting for him. But if he can’t graduate on time, or get the proper credits because of all this, I wonder if he’ll be academically eligible by NCAA rules for his freshman year of college?

...my allergies must be acting up. My eyes are watering. Guess that means I have no balls...eh?

https://www.npr.org/player/embed/818797764/818797765

Listening to NPR is worse than taking a sleep medication.

I will add that the subject matter is crap. If you decide to have kids, you should be able to feed them. If a kid is hungry, they can walk to the school and get the food... especially if the food is being given to them.

Delivering it in a school bus is a bigger load of crap.

If a kid is hungry, they can walk to the school and get the food... especially if the food is being given to them

It kinda sounds like you're suggesting children walk to school during a pandemic to get their own food. I know it's just the way you worded this and not really what you're trying to say, but I read that before coffee and was like, "I'm not letting my kid walk to school and back during a pandemic." My IQ goes up with my caffeine intake.

We're not using the school to feed our son, and I don't think our county is delivering food. I've heard of volunteer parents around here doing a meals on wheels kinda thing for the kids lunches and breakfast. That's nice and thoughtful of those parents and I can believe that there are families that are truly in need of the food AND the delivery.

Disorderly conduct I get, but "perpetrating a hoax in a public building"? How many jurisdictions have a law specifically prohibiting that? And a felony no less?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they were able to charge him with something, it just sounds like one of those laws that might exist in only a few places, like the ones against riding a horse through downtown on Sunday.

Disorderly conduct I get, but "perpetrating a hoax in a public building"? How many jurisdictions have a law specifically prohibiting that? And a felony no less?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they were able to charge him with something, it just sounds like one of those laws that might exist in only a few places, like the ones against riding a horse through downtown on Sunday.

I'm guessing it's a common, purposely vague law that can be associated with things like yelling fire in a crowded space.

I will add that the subject matter is crap. If you decide to have kids, you should be able to feed them. If a kid is hungry, they can walk to the school and get the food... especially if the food is being given to them.

We live in a world where not all people are outstanding individuals, like those of us on POA. While I agree with your "pull yourself up by your boot straps" philosophy, the children shouldn't suffer if they don't have to. Rather than take this down the negative road, I choose to see the positives of what our school teachers and administrators are doing.

And with that, I am done.

Consider that a lot of charitable organizations rely on food and paper goods donations from those that have to help those that don’t. I haven’t heard, yet, of shortages or calls for additional support. With hoarding wiping out some staples in stores, it’s tough to buy an extra package or can of anything for a donation. I’m starting to hear stories of places like Costco refusing returns on toilet paper. Maybe the hoarders are realizing they can’t eat the stuff and maybe those food banks will start getting donations of some items soon.

I am sorta with you on this. The school system for 1st to 6th grade here is just a free baby sitting service where breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack is more important than any other subject. When the district office announced that school will be closed for the next 3 or 4 weeks, the complaints were, ''how will we feed our children?'' and ''we can't stay home to take care of our kids, who is going to do that?''.

My wife is a non-contract teacher and she is not getting paid for the time the school is closed.

I’m starting to hear stories of places like Costco refusing returns on toilet paper.
Actually, my local Costco has signs above many items stating that it's not returnable.

Actually, my local Costco has signs above many items stating that it's not returnable.
Ace hardware had a sign at the checkout that said "Covid 19 related items, such as toilet paper, masks, hand sanitizer etc. . . cannot be returned.

Why would someone return toilet paper..?? :lol::lol:
If someone stupidly bought a truck load of the stuff and realized they couldn't use it all for a couple of years or more, and it was taking up space and they also realized that they could use the money for better things, they may decide to return it. Personally, I'd tell them to eat the damn stuff.

If someone stupidly bought a truck load of the stuff and realized they couldn't use it all for a couple of years or more, and it was taking up space and they also realized that they could use the money for better things, they may decide to return it. Personally, I'd tell them to eat the damn stuff.

I think that's what's going on - people bought decades of supplies like that and now are having to figure out 1) how to pay for it when the credit card bills come in and now they are unemployed, 2) how to live with a garage full of the stuff.

That has to be one of the most callous, uncaring and azzhole-ish posts I've ever read here. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're from the south.

...oh wait.

and sleep medication? It's amazing how boring reporting the news can be when there aren't panels of people interjecting op-eds and yelling at each other.

Back