Coordinates?

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
let's say you have some friends out on the lake and they WANT you to buzz their boats, but you have no idea where they are. do you just buzz every single boat on the lake, or has anyone ever gotten coordinates for a waypoint and entered that into a 430/530 or even garmin pilot/FF? any other way to get a GPS fix from someone and punch it in?

btw, buzzing boats is bad, m'kay?

Have em shine a flashlight, or do a right 360 followed by a left 360, or any number of other things. It's not like the lakes down there are that big.

let's say you have some friends out on the lake and they WANT you to buzz their boats, but you have no idea where they are. do you just buzz every single boat on the lake, or has anyone ever gotten coordinates for a waypoint and entered that into a 430/530 or even garmin pilot/FF? any other way to get a GPS fix from someone and punch it in?

btw, buzzing boats is bad, m'kay?

Have 'em fire a flare! Or have the ladies aboard topless, wait, that would be more than one boat wouldn't it. Yeah just buzz 'em all then.

I had done this before(not the buzzing of boats thing) in Avare and at some point it stopped working, I could go to google maps and find anything, say a house or whatever, long press on it, then in the sharing options i could send the location to Avare and it would show up as a desination. An update of avare or google maps must have broken it. Now after avare launches, it just pops up destination not found.

If you have coordinates you can enter them in the 'find' field on Avare and it will draw you a magenta line to follow to the target.

Edit: I think its google that screwed this up, when I share via 'copy to clipboard' and paste it somewhere, I get a google link instead of coordinates. I think before it just sent coordinates.

Last edited:
....I could go to google maps and find anything, say a house or whatever, long press on it, then in the sharing options i could send the location to Avare and it would show up as a desination....

something like this is what I'm talking about.......someone being able to send u a location that doesn't have an address and u enter it into the 430 or GP.

Google maps.. share location, Apple Maps, any number of apps allow you to share your location.
Find my Friends (iphone and android). I assume if you're low enough to buzz, you probably have service.

Google maps.. share location, Apple Maps, any number of apps allow you to share your location.
Find my Friends (iphone and android). I assume if you're low enough to buzz, you probably have service.
I'm not seeing it on android google maps, if you see it, please let me know how you're getting the coordinates. It shows me the coordinates on the screen, but you can't copy/paste them anywhere, I guess you could get out a pencil if you still have one of those.

You just need to know what the boat looks like.

Out on the Detroit River on a buddy's fly bridge cruiser - we get a call from "Joe" on the marine radio - "where are you?" back and forth, "Joe" claims to be just a couple miles south - but we don't see boats down that way - we continue up the river.

Then we hear "Joe" on the radio - "Don't stand up."

What?

VROOOOOOMMMM. "Joe" flies over us from behind at least a few feet above our heads. Never heard him coming over the engines of the boat.

I had done this before(not the buzzing of boats thing) in Avare and at some point it stopped working, I could go to google maps and find anything, say a house or whatever, long press on it, then in the sharing options i could send the location to Avare and it would show up as a desination. An update of avare or google maps must have broken it. Now after avare launches, it just pops up destination not found.

If you have coordinates you can enter them in the 'find' field on Avare and it will draw you a magenta line to follow to the target.

Edit: I think its google that screwed this up, when I share via 'copy to clipboard' and paste it somewhere, I get a google link instead of coordinates. I think before it just sent coordinates.

You can still do that with Avare.... but you have to copy/paste the Google maps address into the FIND section of Avare and replace the comma that Google uses with an ampersand.

eman, an ampersand is the & symbol. It's isn't an ample bosom in the sand.

I'm not seeing it on android google maps, if you see it, please let me know how you're getting the coordinates. It shows me the coordinates on the screen, but you can't copy/paste them anywhere, I guess you could get out a pencil if you still have one of those.

I don't have an android, but I have google maps. If you drop a pin, then click the address you have the option to "share".. you can then text it, email it, whatever and it should open on the friend's devise. If you get one of the FInd my Friend apps its real time. I think Google+ will do it natively on an android too.

I don't have an android, but I have google maps. If you drop a pin, then click the address you have the option to "share".. you can then text it, email it, whatever and it should open on the friend's devise. If you get one of the FInd my Friend apps its real time. I think Google+ will do it natively on an android too.
Yea, the shared 'dropped pin' is a url, so you have to open that with something then get your coordinates, so silly when it displays them right on the screen in google maps on android, but no way to copy them directly from there. Pencil to the rescue i guess. Like I said it used to work, before they 'improved' it.

You can still do that with Avare.... but you have to copy/paste the Google maps address into the FIND section of Avare and replace the comma that Google uses with an ampersand.

eman, an ampersand is the & symbol. It's isn't an ample bosom in the sand.

Yea, seems to take some finagling to get to the coordinates, now I can't get avare to take the deg/min/sec format(which google maps is giving me) vs. the decimal.

something like this is what I'm talking about.......someone being able to send u a location that doesn't have an address and u enter it into the 430 or GP.

You can make a user waypoint based on a transmitted latitude and longitude. Be careful about the transmitted form, as Garmin doesn't like decimal degrees much, and lets you choose between DMS and DM.MM.

There are better ways to do this, which have been described before. Coordinates are a last resort. And a toy GPS is a lot less accurate than you might think. I've measured 0.3 miles error at 1000 AGL using an iPad. A WAAS GPS can do much better than that.

that kinda works. I can even get it to send me the coordinates, but on a quick first try I couldn't get garmin pilot to recognize it. I'll try again later. thanks!

If you both have iphones, then the person on the boat just shares the location in a message. Done.

You can enter latitude and longitude on FF as well. I have saved a couple of landmarks and friends houses on FF that way. The other option is using something like "Find Friends" that the iPhone offers and have your buddy share his location on the app. then you just fly to the dot.

You can enter latitude and longitude on FF as well. I have saved a couple of landmarks and friends houses on FF that way. The other option is using something like "Find Friends" that the iPhone offers and have your buddy share his location on the app. then you just fly to the dot.

Yep, seems like for the few times I'd need something like this, that's the way to go.

This is among the reasons that general aviation has a bad rep with the public at large. The charge under 61.13 would be "Unwarranted low flying." The fact that your friends want you to do something stupid and illegal doesn't mean that you have to do it.

Bob Gardner

This is among the reasons that general aviation has a bad rep with the public at large. The charge under 61.13 would be "Unwarranted low flying." The fact that your friends want you to do something stupid and illegal doesn't mean that you have to do it.

Bob Gardner

Jumping to conclusions are we? He can pass over the boat at 500' agl and be perfectly legal.

Bob Gardner

sigh, Bob. I'd say "thanks, Captain Obvious", but since this was clearly my first attempt ever on this forum at sarcasm and playful bantering, I'll give you a pass. really, I never joke around on this site, aviation is not a joking matter. in fact, I'm surprised you didn't find a far/aim regulation to site about using joking references when talking about aviation. I guess this: "btw, buzzing boats is bad, m'kay?" from my original post clearly meant I was dead serious.

I'd think a simple phone call would suffice if both the pilot and the boat captain are familiar with the waters.

Ex:
Captain Obvious: "Joe Pilot, we're a few hundred yards east of Snake Island."
Joe Pilot: "Okay Captain Obvious, I'll come by and give you a wave, ETA 2 minutes."

This is among the reasons that general aviation has a bad rep with the public at large. The charge under 61.13 would be "Unwarranted low flying." The fact that your friends want you to do something stupid and illegal doesn't mean that you have to do it

Does this apply to flour bombing also? What's different?

I'd think a simple phone call would suffice if both the pilot and the boat captain are familiar with the waters.

Ex:
Captain Obvious: "Joe Pilot, we're a few hundred yards east of Snake Island."
Joe Pilot: "Okay Captain Obvious, I'll come by and give you a wave, ETA 2 minutes."

appreciate that, but I really don't know the lake very well.

I wrote a really long thing and decided it was dumb and deleted it.
But be aware I put a lot of effort into this.

sigh, Bob. I'd say "thanks, Captain Obvious", but since this was clearly my first attempt ever on this forum at sarcasm and playful bantering, I'll give you a pass. really, I never joke around on this site, aviation is not a joking matter. in fact, I'm surprised you didn't find a far/aim regulation to site about using joking references when talking about aviation. I guess this: "btw, buzzing boats is bad, m'kay?" from my original post clearly meant I was dead serious.
I think your avatar is actually your first attempt!

I really really really WANT you to buzz my boat. Would you please? I'll be on the eastern shore of the Potomac river and right next to the I-66 bridge. The boat will be pointed to the north so an east-west approach would be preferred.

Can't vouch for boats, but I've been given directions to someone's private airstrip by having them give me the GPS coords.

Not buzzing boats, and IAW all FARs ofcourse, but finding two moving boats and doing turns around a point is great fun and polishes your ground ref skills.

Not buzzing boats, and IAW all FARs ofcourse, but finding two moving boats and doing turns around a point is great fun and polishes your ground ref skills.

It's actually a higher-dimension of ground reference skills, as you'd be doing turns around a point which isn't a fixed position since the boats would be subject to drift unless employing a GPS-position hold themselves (kind of a juxtaposition labeling a point as a non-fixed location). :)

appreciate that, but I really don't know the lake very well.

69446199.jpg

Does this apply to flour bombing also? What's different?

Flour bombing is almost always a part of an organized event, like a pancake breakfast, and all of the participants know at least a little about aviation and participate willingly. If you are out in a watercraft just enjoying the experience and, without any warning, a general aviation aircraft comes zooming over you at 50 feet or so and folks on another boat are waving at the plane, you might think "I'm writing a letter to the editor and to my congressman as soon as I get home...those little airplanes are just noisy toys for rich people, and maybe I'll sign that petition to close the airport!" That's the difference: perception.

I've been involved in this industry since 1960, and the number of pilots who figuratively shoot themselves in the foot by annoying the general public never seems to diminish.

Bob

Back