Cool Gifts thread

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
OK, if you've seen something just "far out cool" and would like to share it, post it here.

I saw this today in a printed catalog from Sharper Image. I don't normally like most of their stuff, but this was just "far out cool" to me. I don't even have a vinyl record collection but I know folks that do, who also use an iPOD, and they'd get a kick out this:

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/product/sku__IA002

It's USB, has all the drivers loaded; you plug it in and play your 33/45/78 albums and get either CD or MP3 format on the PC.

That's pretty cool for an easy means to convert them. I'm sure there's a lot of stuff yet to be digitalized.

If you want to go truly high-tech with a turntable...

Check THIS out! It uses a laser rather than a needle.

It's only $9,990 at the new lower price and it plays both 33's and 45's.

For another $3,000, you can have one that plays 78's.

If you've ever played a record designed to be at 78 RPM, you may want to keep that information held closely. :)

Troy that is kool . i definately need one of those. I have around 300 albumns on viynl and would love to put them on CD's
Thanks
Dave G.
P.S. just talked to my sisters and they both have thier albumns yet so i ordered one
Thanks again Troy

Last edited:
Troy that is kool . i definately need one of those. I have around 300 albumns on viynl and would love to put them on CD's
Thanks
Dave G.
P.S. just talked to my sisters and they both have thier albumns yet so i ordered one
Thanks again Troy

Cool! Let us know how it works... hope I didn't steer you wrong!

...or, you could run your existing turntable to the line-in on your computer, through a receiver or a preamp.

The built-in USB is a nice touch, I must admit.

...or, you could run your existing turntable to the line-in on your computer, through a receiver or a preamp.

The built-in USB is a nice touch, I must admit.

Exactly what I have. You need the pre-amp as the magnetic cartridge just won't drive the input on the sound card adequately without it.

Exactly what I have. You need the pre-amp as the magnetic cartridge just won't drive the input on the sound card adequately without it.
I tried doing that, but was getting some horrid noise artifacts. I might try the USB route. I saw another stand-alone unit at Target the other day that does something similar. It was about the same price, but had more of an "antiqued console radio" look to it.

Trying to save you all some cash...

ThinkGeek has the same item for half that price.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/mp3/90a0/

Ion USB Turntable - $99.99

Edit: The one on Sharper Image looks like it may be a new design of the item, but otherwise the specs look the same.

Last edited:
Trying to save you all some cash...

ThinkGeek has the same item for half that price.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/mp3/90a0/

Ion USB Turntable - $99.99

Edit: The one on Sharper Image looks like it may be a new design of the item, but otherwise the specs look the same.
I decided to peruse the site and see what else they had. I'm not sure if I should be shocked or not. Something tells me this site is supported by the same folks as Spencers Gifts.

Particularly after I saw this...
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/9c89/ :eek:

I tried doing that, but was getting some horrid noise artifacts. I might try the USB route. I saw another stand-alone unit at Target the other day that does something similar. It was about the same price, but had more of an "antiqued console radio" look to it.

What kind of noise? I have a good friend who has ripped his entire record collection (including a great many 45s), with no difficulty. He used some software published by (shudder!) Microsoft, which did a great job of separating the tracks into... ummm.... tracks, and which also removed most objectionable noise from the recording. My recollection is that the M$ software was nominal in cost (well, that's if you have to buy it, my friend got *his* for free, since his brother is well into the process of becoming another Microsoft Millionaire).

OK, if you've seen something just "far out cool" and would like to share it, post it here.

I saw this today in a printed catalog from Sharper Image. I don't normally like most of their stuff, but this was just "far out cool" to me. I don't even have a vinyl record collection but I know folks that do, who also use an iPOD, and they'd get a kick out this:

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/product/sku__IA002

It's USB, has all the drivers loaded; you plug it in and play your 33/45/78 albums and get either CD or MP3 format on the PC.

Saw one of those for sale at Costco this weekend. I suspect it's a lot cheaper than Sharper Image.

What kind of noise? I have a good friend who has ripped his entire record collection (including a great many 45s), with no difficulty. He used some software published by (shudder!) Microsoft, which did a great job of separating the tracks into... ummm.... tracks, and which also removed most objectionable noise from the recording. My recollection is that the M$ software was nominal in cost (well, that's if you have to buy it, my friend got *his* for free, since his brother is well into the process of becoming another Microsoft Millionaire).
It was a couple of years ago that I tried, so I don't remember, except that it was abnormal and obviously added by the transfer process. I might revisit it one of these days!

If you've got the need (say in Detroit or parts of Albuquerque) and the ca$h........
This would be perfect for protecting the wife and kiddies on the way to and from church or the mall....
I'll bet it's tough on windshield wipers though, unless you opted for the heat shielded ANCO wiper inserts (available by special order only from your local distributor). Or perhape the shell casing recovery bin.:goofy:

Attachments

• president_car.wmv
    4.1 MB · Views: 16
Update ......................... I ordered this turn table on Nov. 25 and it came Nov 27 will let you know how it works. Boy that was fast delivery
Dave G

The problem with this technology is the same as with DVD burners used to convert all those home video tapes.

It doesn't create the time you need to use it.

The problem with this technology is the same as with DVD burners used to convert all those home video tapes.

It doesn't create the time you need to use it.
Are you one of those folks who needs seven-day weekends and two-day workweeks, too? :)

Built-in line in ports on PCs are notoriously noisy.

Get an external USB sound "card" for much better results.

The Griffin iMic even comes with Final Vinyl software (for Macs).
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic

The free open source Audacity is very good.

If you've got the need (say in Detroit or parts of Albuquerque) and the ca$h........
This would be perfect for protecting the wife and kiddies on the way to and from church or the mall....
I'll bet it's tough on windshield wipers though, unless you opted for the heat shielded ANCO wiper inserts (available by special order only from your local distributor). Or perhape the shell casing recovery bin.:goofy:

The Mythbusters used that thing on a show a week or two ago...good times!

Back