"Controls free and correct" in the run-up area - why wait until then?

Over thinking it - check them, sometime, whenever, as long as it's before you rotate. Make your own checklist if you think you might forget.

I lost an rc plane because of a failure to do a control check. The aileron servo was reversed, and when I pushed the control stick for a left bank, it banked right. Of course, the instinct is to give it more left (which in fact, is more right). Instant crash...you simply can't get your brain around it quickly enough

Same happened to me with an electric Corsair. It was a hand launched plane so I always pulled up first for altitude. But on turning I found the reversal. Whew, that was fun to bring down. I feel like kinda a dork but I do the thumb thing also at the RC field.

As you step up into more advanced airplanes...did the autopilot accidentally get turned on? H ice form in the hinges because you brought a warm airplane out of the hangar into cold, moist air, or maybe splashed water up into a cold-soaked airplane? Did you have the control lock installed for taxi in 30+ knot tailwinds so the controls wouldn't slam around?

Any number of reasons exist to check controls before pulling on to the runway...and as has been indicated, there is no prohibition on doing additional checks earlier.

The control check is the last chance to discover a problem that could result in catastrophe, and even the most advanced aircraft aren't immune.

The need to perform this check religiously was demonstrated by the Katz G-IV takeoff crash at Hanscom.

The very experienced crew of the aircraft had eliminated the control movement checklist item from their preflight routine, and the gust lock system was engaged when they began the takeoff roll.

The crew became aware of an issue after the takeoff roll began, but instead of aborting they continued accelerating until it was too late to prevent the fatal outcome.

I check it before engine start........ I look for smooth operation, correct movement and unusual noise.

Hard to do with the fan turning......

Then there's the Ford Tri-Motor replica, a Bushmaster, that crashed at Fullerton years ago. The gust lock wasn't removed from the rudder.

ncfs13-b88208192z.120140924195059000gg657ng0.10.jpg

Back