controllers reporting runway incursions

\__[Ô]__/

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
david
Are controllers required to report pilots that cause runway incursions? I seem to recall reading that this didn't used to be the case but is now required because the FAA started focussing on runway incursions.

Correct. It's a "surface deviation" and reported on an 8020-17 form.

AFAIK, ATC has been reporting runway incursions for more than a decade. Maybe two.

Mine was reported 16 years ago and I'm pretty sure the mandatory reporting policy was already in effect.

Well, I never said I heard it was a recent change.
Although it's quite possible I read it in an article that claimed it was a new policy. Of course that article might be a decade or two old :)

I'm putting together a presentation about avoiding runway incursions for a local group and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't passing along false information.
Sounds like my recollection was correct. Thanks everyone.

Well, I never said I heard it was a recent change.
Have you heard there didn't used to be airplanes but now there are? :D ;)

More seriously though, if you are doing a presentation on the subject, don't forget some of historical context and other things that have happened in addition to the the controller reporting requirement. The introduction of "hot spots" on taxi diagrams. The Runway Incursion Information Evaluation Program which, although it expired some years ago, was instrumental in getting information from pilots in exchange for waiver of enforcement. The FAA "road show" that did live presentations around the country to illustrate the problem.

Are you going to show the 1999 KPVD incursion - always a great attention-getter at an incursion presentation

Thanks, Mark, for the suggestions. I'm still refining exactly what will be included. A couple historical items will be mentioned for context and motivation but my presentation time is more limited than I'd like so I'm trying to focus on a couple items of particular relevance. A lot of other things I'd like to include, including a lot of the background to the current state of affairs, probably won't make the cut.
The controller reporting requirement isn't a key part of the presentation but it's mentioned and I just wanted to ensure I have my facts right.

If you have time, show this video, too. It demonstrates the need for pilots to be assertive about their runway crossing/hold short instructions. It is shown to every new controller at the FAA Academy. One of the contributing factors here was a staffing decision that had one controller working tower and ground.

Runway incursions are reported in accordance with Order 7210.632, Air Traffic Organization Occurrence Reporting.

The biggest problem, IMO, with this specific rwy incursion was the controller's reaction. Once she went into sensory overload, her brain shut down and she could not comprehend a simple piece of information such as "we are on an active runway".
Thank God that the USAir 2998 captain had more brains than her. That could have been a bad disaster, just like the on at Tenerife.
Yes, 1448 sure messed up and took a wrong turn but the resolution by the controller was less than desirable. Again, IMHO. I hope she learned from it, got re-training and is now controlling with better situational awareness.

Thank God that the USAir 2998 captain had more brains than her.

That CA has given me a couple of checkrides over the years. Really good guy, and like you said, heads up decision by him.

If you are still looking for information, I do these presentations at my facility and might be able to provide some help. PM me.

Back