Controller Mistake at KLGB

Right, but at 20 you can make any turnoff, and there are no shortages of runways and taxiways to turn off at LGB. :lol:

Without perusing the in's and out's of this thread I just wanted to add (hopefully this hasn't been said) that the margin between a slick, supremely professional sequence and a bewildered pilot is razor thin.

What is legal to me as a controller and something I may do dozens of times tomorrow without hesitation in my experience may even throw airline pilots for loops at times. Not only that, but what works at say one tower (check the user name, not a tower guy) will absolutely not be risked at another. Replace Op's LGB example with DCA and I'm pretty sure that tower could have departed a 737 instead of the original traffic and scrounged a way for it to work and be safe/legal.

LGB tower was always good to me. If I was on downwind 25L in my Travelair with a line of 150/2s in front of me, they'd give me the option of turning base at the tower and landing long, which I always took. Sometimes he'd give me the option for 30. They're usually pretty good about working a lot of various speed traffic.

Back