Control cable pulleys for Taylorcraft.

bluerooster

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
shorty
It seems that there are none anywhere, in any way shape form or fashion. The closest I can find are MS20220-1, and MS20220-2. While the outside diameter, and groove diameter are the same as what I need. The width of the pulley, and hub, are too wide by way too much. And the bore diameter is just over a quarter of an inch, where I need 3/16".
Taylorcraft part numbers are A-229, and A-228. I tried typing in to the search function of all the various parts suppliers, with zero results.

It seems that there are none anywhere, in any way shape form or fashion.
Call up Wicks, Univair, and/or Wag-Aero with your T-craft numbers and pulley dimensions and see what they can get you. Just be sure your mechanic is good with any substitutions. But you need to call them.

Can you post some type of description / dimensions here?

I have a pile of pulleys but no idea of p/n.

My guess is others do as well.

Can you post some type of description / dimensions here?

I have a pile of pulleys but no idea of p/n.

My guess is others do as well.
Yes: Fits 1/8" cable. Outside diameter 3.005", Groove diameter, 2.522", Width .337, width at hub .375", with a bore of .1875".
For the layman that's; 3" outside diameter, groove of 2 and a half inches diameter , pulley is ~23/64" wide, the width of the bearing is 3/8", and the bolt hole is 3/16". All is allowed .006 tolerance.

Call up Wicks, Univair, and/or Wag-Aero with your T-craft numbers and pulley dimensions and see what they can get you. Just be sure your mechanic is good with any substitutions. But you need to call them.
OK, I'll call them all. But it would seem that they would at least offer that on their website.

But it would seem that they would at least offer that on their website.
Not really. If they put it on their website they'd have to state it was a replacement for your T-craft pulleys. What you're going to have instead are acceptable substitutes for those T-craft pulley P/Ns which is up to your mechanic whether thats good enough and it should be. Welcome to old aircraft maintenance 101.

They have other pulleys with no specific application, just a part number, and description giving the dimensions.

Did you check with McFarlane? A phone call is best that way you can ask where to find them if they don't have em. Good luck

They have other pulleys with no specific application
And in a number of cases you wont find an application part. The majority of parts used on these older CAR 3 aircraft all started as standard AN parts which the OEM assigned an in-house number to. So the task at hand is to figure out which current standard pulleys (AN or MS) are the substitute for your A-228, etc. by their dimensions. This is no different than substituting hardware, rivets, etc during the course of maintenance which an A&P can do. And with some older models this is your only option. So you take the dimensions of your current pulleys, talk to the vendor rep and he gives you the P/N of an MS pulley with the same dimensions and you buy that one. Then indicate the pulley sub by P/Ns in the log entry. AC 23-27 was issued to assist in substituting parts on older aircraft but its premise has been in practice for many years prior to its issuance.

I guess I'll get on the land line and talk to a person, (is that even possible anymore?) and see if they can come up with what I need.

“ The box” had 1 3incher but other dimensions were off.

Got on the phone this morning, called, AS, Univair, Wicks, Chief, Wag Aero, and Classic Aero LLC.
Wag has the smaller pulleys (listed as a J-3 aileron pulley), but not the others. No-one else has the 3" pulleys, or even a listing for them. No sooner than I posted this, the phone rang. It was a nice lady from the Luscombe Foundation,( I'd left a message earlier asking about pulleys). She has them, and I ordered the full set. Should be here in the next week or so.

Last edited:
Back