Continuing on with the grass strip tour

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
It would be fun to pick back up where the original trip left off. :) Seems like Tom and I started a lot of trips that we didn't really get to finish the way we'd hoped, and my grass strip tour is one of those. So, I'd like to try to finish it this coming May. :yes: Surely there won't be any stormy weather in May, right? :D

Here is the original thread:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12659

Finding grass strips with fuel is the most challenging part of the planning phase, so I would appreciate any suggestions that you all might have. :yes:

I'm attaching a rudimentary map of the first draft of the route. That will likely change about 20 or so times before the trip,and change constantly during the trip. :D I just arbitrarily picked an airport along the Mississippi until I get that part figured out.

After I get to the Mississippi River south of Memphis, I plan to follow the river and then hop off and head to Bayou La Batre, AL (5R7). Does anyone know of any grass strips with fuel along the Mississippi River south of Memphis? Anyone have recent info on 5R7 or on Shade Tree Field (MS82)? Steve See? Tim Winters?

You all were a really big help with planning my last grass strip tour. Any input you're willing to share this time around will also be appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• grass tour 2010 1.jpg
    grass tour 2010 1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 81
Well, I think you need to land at Wolf River (That's where Jim Rice is based) 54M. There is no fuel on the field but you know folks that have pick-ups and 5 gallon cans... I'm just sayin'

Plus I think it only fair if you plan on spending the evening on your way through. :D I bet Rebecca would insist.

Diana:

Instead of stopping at Paragould, AR, you might want to consider the Classic Strip just east of Jonesboro. The local EAA chapter meets there. Not sure whether or not they have fuel, but will see if I can find out. Sounds like a fun trip!

Stacey

It looks like you have Shade Tree Missippippi marked. Be sure to get there. The owners are some of the nicest people and they have gas and a nice "terminal"-club house with a bedroom if some one else hasn't claimed it. Say Hi to everyone there for me if you make it.

Barb

It looks like you have Shade Tree Missippippi marked. Be sure to get there. The owners are some of the nicest people and they have gas and a nice "terminal"-club house with a bedroom if some one else hasn't claimed it. Say Hi to everyone there for me if you make it.

Barb

+1

Janet and Danny Miller are some of the best people you'll ever meet. I stayed there for a few months when I built an O'Reilly in that area. They now have an apartment on the field and I'm sure they'd love to have you stay there. Tell them that I said "hi" also! They have a cookout every wednesday night so if the timing works...

Also, Dallas South Port (T13) is grass and has fuel (cheap fuel the last time I was there). It's nothing special, but it's grass so if you're in the area.........

Last edited:
Also, Hayti, MO (Mid-Continent, M28) is grass. No fuel though AFAIK. But maybe you hit that one on your last trip.

And my home field is grass (Marble Hill, MO 0T3). Again no fuel, and again you may have already been there. I'd be glad to bring some mogas to you if I'm around though!

Well, I think you need to land at Wolf River (That's where Jim Rice is based) 54M. There is no fuel on the field but you know folks that have pick-ups and 5 gallon cans... I'm just sayin'

Plus I think it only fair if you plan on spending the evening on your way through. :D I bet Rebecca would insist.
Wayne, tell Rebecca I would love to stop by :yes: but I'm avoiding cities like the plague and hope to land on only grass, in rural areas. Do you have a grass field near you? If so, I'd love to stop by and see you guys. :yes:

I forgot that Jim is based on a grass field. :) If I make it east of Memphis, I'll give him a holler. :) The plan (which will change about 52 times :D) is to hop on the Mississippi River south of Memphis and follow the river south from there.

Diana:

Instead of stopping at Paragould, AR, you might want to consider the Classic Strip just east of Jonesboro. The local EAA chapter meets there. Not sure whether or not they have fuel, but will see if I can find out. Sounds like a fun trip!

Stacey
Stacey, I just looked that one up. It's 23AR? Looks like a lot of airplanes are based there. I may stop in and see if anyone is around as I pass over. Thanks for mentioning that one! :)

Barb
Barb, I didn't realize that you landed there! How cool! Thanks for the information! Did you call them first, or just show up?

+1

Janet and Danny Miller are some of the best people you'll ever meet. I stayed there for a few months when I built an O'Reilly in that area. They now have an apartment on the field and I'm sure they'd love to have you stay there. Tell them that I said "hi" also! They have a cookout every wednesday night so if the timing works...
Ohhh, that place is sounding better all the time! :D I'll try to make it on a Wednesday. :yes: Did you stay in the apartment on the field?

Also, Dallas South Port (T13) is grass and has fuel (cheap fuel the last time I was there). It's nothing special, but it's grass so if you're in the area.........
That looks good! If I get that far north in Texas, I'll stop by for fuel! Thanks! I was thinking about landing at Sulphur Springs and then heading to Cedar Creek, but I've already been to those places and want to go to new ones this trip.

And my home field is grass (Marble Hill, MO 0T3). Again no fuel, and again you may have already been there. I'd be glad to bring some mogas to you if I'm around though!
Thanks for the offer! :)

Wow, that looks like fun. Enjoy!!

Not a grass strip, but a very nice place to stop in the Biloxi area if necessary; very nice folks and great service. They also have the fattest FBO cats I have ever seen.

http://www.oceanspringsairport.com/
That looks like a neat place. Too bad it's paved. :D And here I thought we had the fattest airport cat here at the farm. :D

It would be fun to pick back up where the original trip left off. :) Seems like Tom and I started a lot of trips that we didn't really get to finish the way we'd hoped, and my grass strip tour is one of those. So, I'd like to try to finish it this coming May. :yes: Surely there won't be any stormy weather in May, right? :D

Here is the original thread:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12659

Finding grass strips with fuel is the most challenging part of the planning phase, so I would appreciate any suggestions that you all might have. :yes:

I'm attaching a rudimentary map of the first draft of the route. That will likely change about 20 or so times before the trip,and change constantly during the trip. :D I just arbitrarily picked an airport along the Mississippi until I get that part figured out.

After I get to the Mississippi River south of Memphis, I plan to follow the river and then hop off and head to Bayou La Batre, AL (5R7). Does anyone know of any grass strips with fuel along the Mississippi River south of Memphis? Anyone have recent info on 5R7 or on Shade Tree Field (MS82)? Steve See? Tim Winters?

You all were a really big help with planning my last grass strip tour. Any input you're willing to share this time around will also be appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Is dirt out, Diana?

edit: Also, the grass runway at X54 was closed last time I was in that area. Would not surprise me to find out that is still true...

Diana,

Boy do you have a lot of turf runways near you.

Attached is a GoogleEarth kmz file showing turf runways within 300 nm of you. I count 1304. Click on the airport and it will tell you if it has fuel.

I'll try to get one like that further south before I have to leave for class, if not I'll have it late tonight.

Joe

edit: it was easier to upload the 4146 turf airports within 550nm of you.

Hope it helps.

Note that there are no turf airports within 100 miles of me.

Attachments

• TurfWithin300nmOf08mo.kmz
    72.7 KB · Views: 5
  • TurfWithin550nmOf08mo.kmz
    231.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Hey Diana,

Shade Tree is a must stop if at all possible. Just be sure to get prior permission from Danny. See the inbound link on their website.

http://shadetreeairport.com/

A fellow is building a 2800' grass strip less than 4 miles from our house, but it won't be ready before mid-summer.

If you get weathered in within a 100 miles of HEZ-VKS-MCB you've got my number. Also if you otherwise need to make a stop in the general area I can provide ground support.

If you want to go a little more south there's a nice strip at Ama, LA, St. Charles Airport.

http://amaairport.com/

Prior permission is also required, but just tell them you're a member of the WHODAT Nation and you're a shoe-in.

Several other grass fields around, but few with fuel. They show up in this link, if you need any re-connoitering the plane should be available by weekend after next.

http://www.aviationacres.com/mississippiairports.asp

Oh yeah, there's this place called Gaston's, too, that has a grass strip. ;)

Last edited:

...and fuel.

And Merlot.

And people what loves you.

---

I note you're not limiting yourself to turf (witness, Junction), so if there's any chance you might stop over at T82 (Fredericksburg), let me know; I'd like to see you there.

Did you stay in the apartment on the field?

No, Janet hadn't built it yet but about a year ago she sent me an e-mail inviting me down again, telling me that they had built an apartment and had a car stationed there for guests' use.

Great people.

Is dirt out, Diana?
Dirt would be okay. :) I won't be flying any farther west than my proposed route, but if you know of any dirt strips with fuel near my route, I'd be interested in checking them out. :)

edit: Also, the grass runway at X54 was closed last time I was in that area. Would not surprise me to find out that is still true...
Thanks for the heads-up. :) I wonder why they closed it. Hmmmm. I'll call and visit with them to see if it will be open when I'm planning to pass through there.

Diana,

Boy do you have a lot of turf runways near you.
:yes:

Attached is a GoogleEarth kmz file showing turf runways within 300 nm of you. I count 1304. Click on the airport and it will tell you if it has fuel.

I'll try to get one like that further south before I have to leave for class, if not I'll have it late tonight.

Joe

edit: it was easier to upload the 4146 turf airports within 550nm of you.

Hope it helps.
Wow! Thanks! I couldn't find GoogleEarth on my computer, so I'll have to wait till I get home from work later on to find it. But, it looks like what you figured out would be really cool! :yes:

Note that there are no turf airports within 100 miles of me.
Dang!

Hey Diana,

Shade Tree is a must stop if at all possible. Just be sure to get prior permission from Danny. See the inbound link on their website.

http://shadetreeairport.com/

A fellow is building a 2800' grass strip less than 4 miles from our house, but it won't be ready before mid-summer.

If you get weathered in within a 100 miles of HEZ-VKS-MCB you've got my number. Also if you otherwise need to make a stop in the general area I can provide ground support.

If you want to go a little more south there's a nice strip at Ama, LA, St. Charles Airport.

http://amaairport.com/

Prior permission is also required, but just tell them you're a member of the WHODAT Nation and you're a shoe-in.

Several other grass fields around, but few with fuel. They show up in this link, if you need any re-connoitering the plane should be available by weekend after next.

http://www.aviationacres.com/mississippiairports.asp

This looks like a lot of great info for me to check out when I get home from work today. Thanks!

If they get that grass strip near your house finished any sooner, please let me know. :)

:D And food! And fuel! A little slice of heaven. :yes: I'm planning to make that my first stop on the trip. :yes:

...and fuel.

And Merlot.

And people what loves you.

---
:blowingkisses:

.I note you're not limiting yourself to turf (witness, Junction), so if there's any chance you might stop over at T82 (Fredericksburg), let me know; I'd like to see you there.
I'll let you know when it's closer to time for the trip. :) It would be good to see you again. :yes: BTW, Junction lists a turf strip...don't know if it's any good or not...does anyone know about their grass runway?

That grass airfield south of Dallas that Tim mentioned earlier sounds intriguing. Have you flown into T13?

Is there a site dedicated to public grass fields?
I don't know of one, but it sure would be nice to have one. :yes: I spent a lot of time researching them for my initial trip in 2007.

Several years ago someone made a list of grass strips with fuel for classic/antique airplanes flying to OSH and I used that list to help find a few strips. I can post the link later when I get home. It's old, though.

No, Janet hadn't built it yet but about a year ago she sent me an e-mail inviting me down again, telling me that they had built an apartment and had a car stationed there for guests' use.

Great people.
I'll get in touch with them. Thanks! :)

:blowingkisses:

I'll let you know when it's closer to time for the trip. :) It would be good to see you again. :yes: BTW, Junction lists a turf strip...don't know if it's any good or not...does anyone know about their grass runway?

That grass airfield south of Dallas that Tim mentioned earlier sounds intriguing. Have you flown into T13?

Diana, I have not been to T13, but its ounds nice, so next time I a m out tooling around (God, it has been a while since I was able to do that), I'll go take a gander. The fuel price is certainly right!

As for JCT, by God, I had never even noticed the grass strip, but there it is.

Of course, it will almost always be a direct crosswind, but that's no hill for a stepper like you.

Junction is the nearest TAF to T82, so when I am flying to Fredericksburg, I have to sort of average JCT and AUS to decide what he weather at T82 might be, and that does not always work, because T82 is right at the edge of where central Texas becomes west Texas, including weather-wise. A while back, we launched for T82, where the ceiling was 1,600 with no reason to expect a lower one (no reason in any forecast, that is); I filed Junction as an alternate, without any expectation that I'd need an alternate, but (yikes!) when I got in-range, T82 AWOS was reporting 500' (the best approach gives 700'). We took a shot, and were about to go missed when I got the ground and airpoort, and landed. It was indefinitie and 1/8 mile within 20 minutes, thick fog.

Junction? Clear. Just 60nm west, and clear.

Stacey, I just looked that one up. It's 23AR? Looks like a lot of airplanes are based there. I may stop in and see if anyone is around as I pass over. Thanks for mentioning that one! :)

That's it Diana. If you are there on the weekend, there may be some activity. Also, I saw your post back to Wayne. Hernando, MS has a grass strip just south of Memphis. There is also one just northeast of Olive Branch on the TN/MS state line (Colonial I believe is the name).

That's it Diana. If you are there on the weekend, there may be some activity. Also, I saw your post back to Wayne. Hernando, MS has a grass strip just south of Memphis. There is also one just northeast of Olive Branch on the TN/MS state line (Colonial I believe is the name).

Colonial is under the Olive Branc D ring. Usually some guys are hanging out there on the weekend telling lies. I think Jim Rice's brother is based there.

I did a bit more work on the airport info searcher and attached is a GoogleEarth kmz file of airports within 550 nm of you that have at least 1 turf runway and have fuel. Also the same data is in an excel spreadsheet is attached as a zip file (Jesse won't let us upload spreadsheets:D).

I really need to get the ability to select airports within X miles of a route, but that will have to wait.

Hope it helps. I did include public and private airports.

Joe

Attachments

• TurfWithin550nmOf08moFuel.kmz
    38.6 KB · Views: 19
  • TurfWithin550nmOf08moFuel.zip
    51.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I can't remember the entirety of your original trip, but I seem to recall it was more or less on the eastern half of the country. Why not do something going around the western parts? Or are you specifically trying to do something that's shorter?

I did a bit more work on the airport info searcher and attached is a GoogleEarth kmz file of airports within 550 nm of you that have at least 1 turf runway and have fuel. Also the same data is in an excel spreadsheet is attached as a zip file (Jesse won't let us upload spreadsheets:D).

I really need to get the ability to select airports within X miles of a route, but that will have to wait.

Hope it helps. I did include public and private airports.
Wow! Joe, how did you do that!?!? Both of those are going to help a lot! :yes: :yes: :yes: Thank you!

Barb, I didn't realize that you landed there! How cool! Thanks for the information! Did you call them first, or just show up?

Ohhh, that place is sounding better all the time! :D I'll try to make it on a Wednesday. :yes: Did you stay in the apartment on the field?.

You have to send them a "hold harmless" type paper. It is on their website that Steve listed. I printed a copy, signed it and faxed it to them. Then, I just called to let them know I was going to stop in "sometime-if the weather allowed" They said drop in anytime. There seems to always be some one around. Danny and Janet work so they aren't always there till afternoon sometime.

As Tim said there is a cook out there on Wednesday evenings and Coffee and donuts on Saturday morning. Here is a picture of Saturday AM at Shade Tree. I had a real hard time leaving!

And I was able to stay in the apartment at the field, it is really nice. Almost as nice as Dave Taylor's guest house!
Barb

Attachments

• Shade Tree.jpg
    Shade Tree.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 41
I can't remember the entirety of your original trip, but I seem to recall it was more or less on the eastern half of the country. Why not do something going around the western parts? Or are you specifically trying to do something that's shorter?
Well, the way I end up going about it, it would take forever to add any more to the trip. :D I can end up staying for days in one place if it looks interesting or if I want to explore that area and the people more, or if I end up staying in a hotel for days d/t the weather. :D The first attempt was flight-planned for over 7,000 miles and ended up being 4,000 miles and took a month. Several people told me I took on too much the first time around. I only have a wet compass and a Garmin 496 (only had a 296 the first trip) and I fly low and slow and leisurely...VFR. If I had a lot of time and a lot of money, I'd do this a lot more. :D

I would love to see someone do the western half of the country. :)

Diana,

What day are you planning on leaving on your trip? I was thinking I may be passing through your neck of the woods on May 1st.

Barb

That looks like a neat place. Too bad it's paved. :D And here I thought we had the fattest airport cat here at the farm. :D
I know- I'm just sayin'... it's the only airport I know at all near your route. :D
You never know; the wx in that area can keep you ziggin' and zaggin' in the spring and summer.

Those cats were even bigger than the one picture shows... they must take up half the place by now. :D

Diana, I have not been to T13, but its ounds nice, so next time I a m out tooling around (God, it has been a while since I was able to do that), I'll go take a gander. The fuel price is certainly right!
Cool! We'll be expecting to hear your report on the airfield. :yes:

Junction is the nearest TAF to T82, so when I am flying to Fredericksburg, I have to sort of average JCT and AUS to decide what he weather at T82 might be, and that does not always work, because T82 is right at the edge of where central Texas becomes west Texas, including weather-wise.
That's good information to keep in mind. I don't know much about flying in Texas (yet :D) so that's good to know. :)

Those looks like airports that Wayne needs to go check out. :yes:

Usually some guys are hanging out there on the weekend telling lies.
Sounds like my kinda airport. :D

You have to send them a "hold harmless" type paper. It is on their website that Steve listed. I printed a copy, signed it and faxed it to them. Then, I just called to let them know I was going to stop in "sometime-if the weather allowed" They said drop in anytime. There seems to always be some one around. Danny and Janet work so they aren't always there till afternoon sometime.

As Tim said there is a cook out there on Wednesday evenings and Coffee and donuts on Saturday morning. Here is a picture of Saturday AM at Shade Tree. I had a real hard time leaving!

And I was able to stay in the apartment at the field, it is really nice. Almost as nice as Dave Taylor's guest house!
Barb
Love that photo! :D Thanks for the info about the "hold harmless" paper. I'll get on that. Since I can't fax from here, I'll have to use Pony Express. :D I can't wait to check out this airport! :yes:

Diana,

What day are you planning on leaving on your trip? I was thinking I may be passing through your neck of the woods on May 1st.
Oh, I don't want to miss you if you're coming through! I was thinking of leaving in late April or early May, depending on the weather. I'll keep you posted. You're still welcome to stop and see Tom if I'm not here and you can still stay here at the farm. :yes:

I know- I'm just sayin'... it's the only airport I know at all near your route. :D
You never know; the wx in that area can keep you ziggin' and zaggin' in the spring and summer.
Absolutely! Seems like I did a lot of that last time. :D And I ended up landing on a bunch of paved runways, especially trying to get home. When it got to that point I didn't care what I landed on. :D

Those cats were even bigger than the one picture shows... they must take up half the place by now. :D
Oh, my. :)

I found out something else interesting about Colonial today. It seems one end of the runway is in Tennessee and the other end is in Mississippi. If you weren't doing a tour you could color two states by landing one direction and taking off the other direction!

I've been to Colonial in a Cub and I landed said Cub at Wolf River. I'm usually looking for traffic from Colonial when I'm downwind for 18 at OLV. Downwind is almost directly over Colonial.

I would love to see someone do the western half of the country. :)

I've traveled from PA to the western half of the country twice in the past month in the Aztec, but I was in a hurry both times. :)

I found out something else interesting about Colonial today. It seems one end of the runway is in Tennessee and the other end is in Mississippi. If you weren't doing a tour you could color two states by landing one direction and taking off the other direction!
How neat! Reminds me of a strip we landed at in Montana on the border where we went through customs flying into Canada. One side of the grass runway was in the U.S. and the other side of the grass was in Canada.

Wow! Joe, how did you do that!?!? Both of those are going to help a lot! :yes: :yes: :yes: Thank you!
You're welcome Diana.

The data comes from the FAA's FADDS database. I've been playing with different ways to present it. This motivated me to search by fuel availability.

The other thing that might help your trip is the name and phone number of the contact person for the private airports in that list. Yours and Tom's are in there.

Joe

Back