Continuing Ed; aviation

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Pilots are required to receive; so are IAs.
Dispatchers?
Flight attendants?
ATC?
Airline rampies?
Sort of surprised A+Ps do not have to. (not that I want to get them thinking too hard about that)
Who else is there?

I don’t think that what’s required of pilots (professional or hobbyist) could be considered “continuing education” so much as “periodic checking”.

Last edited:
Sort of surprised A+Ps do not have to. (not that I want to get them thinking too hard about that)
Who else is there?

Mechanics have currency requirements that take care of those concerns. How many people follow those rules? I’m sure some do and some don’t.

Lots of companies have a ton of online recurrent training, everything from weather, OSHA, sexual harassment, survival, FARs, etc.

If the mechanic is an employee of a 121, 135, or 145, he will fall under a FAA approved training program which should include both initial and recurrent training. The FAA will inspect training records as part of their normal surveillance.

If he is an employee of a good Part 91 corporate flight department that has any sort of standards, he will also receive a decent level of training both initial and recurrent. No sane owner of a multi million dollar plane that they fly on wants untrained people working on their plane.

The mechanics that might not get very good training are the ones employed by smaller non certificated shops or the solo mechanics working out of a t-hangar or the back of a truck. Still even they have to remain somewhat actively engaged in their profession by exercising the privileges of their certificate for at least 6 months out of the previous 24.

Also recall that a mechanic “may not supervise the maintenance, preventive maintenance, or alteration of, or approve and return to service, any aircraft or appliance, or part thereof, for which he is rated unless he has satisfactorily performed the work concerned at an earlier date. If he has not so performed that work at an earlier date, he may show his ability to do it by performing it to the satisfaction of the Administrator or under the direct supervision of a certificated and appropriately rated mechanic, or a certificated repairman, who has had previous experience in the specific operation concerned” per 65.81. This in a way becomes a de facto OJT standard. Of course compliance with this is mostly on the honor system and about the only way that a violation of this part will be noted is if there is an incident/accident or if someone makes a hotline complaint.

That’s my view of it in a nutshell but I could go on and on about it but the above should suffice.

regardless of the specific word definitions, I am still curious.
We'll, if you're not worried about definitions, the guy that sold you the cheeseburger-like substance in the terminal last year probably had to take the same test, with the same answers, every year since he started.

Airport operations personnel who work at Part 139 certificated airports, which are usually commercial airline service airports, must receive training under various subjects including Part 139 itself, its Airport Certification Manual, various Airport Advisory Circulars, Letter of Agreements, learning to drive on the movement areas (ie. taxiways & runways), etc before we start operating an airport. And we must receive recurrent training every 12 consecutive calendar months (CCM). However even though we must receive recurrent training for driving in the movement areas every 12 CCM, my airport requires us to take recurrent movement area driver training every 6 CCM.

You could also get certifications and recurrent training through the American Association of Airport Executives as well.

Back