Continental motors

frfly172

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
ron keating
Rant can’t say how much I dislike continental motors product support. I have a io240 b fadec motor coming up on overhaul replacement. They don’t have any rebuilt motors in stock and don’t know when they are going to build any . When you talk to them if they answer your calls they just say your in a tough spot. I guess the fadec was an idea that just didn’t work out so stick it to the little guy.

...I have a io240 b fadec motor coming up on overhaul replacement...

What does "overhaul replacement" mean? You can't just overhaul the motor? You have to replace it with another supplied by Continental? Or is this a parts supply issue?

Not familiar with this motor and curious.

You may be able to replace it with a Rotax 912s with an STC.
Wikipedia
In April 2011 the company announced that they had developed a 100 hp (75 kW) Rotax 912S powered version that runs on auto fuel aimed at Asian markets, due to lack of 100 octane avgas fuel outside North America. The engine will be available as a factory option and also as a retrofit under a supplemental type certificate and saves 150 lb (68 kg) in empty weight, due to the much lighter engine.[6]

Not familiar with this motor and curious
FYI: the 240 was the little engine that could. However, the market went to 300> size engines from what I recall and it never took off. It was a downsized 300 something to fit in the same space as an O-200. I believe the OPs issue is more due to it being a 240 than FADEC as few aiircraft use any variant of that particular 50+ year old engine model.

It was a downsized 300 something to fit in the same space as an O-200.

For lack of a better description it is essentially an o-200 with IO-360 cylinders. The mechanical fuel injection used on them is similar to the 360 as well. It isn't a real common engine but I maintained and flew a Diamond DA20 that was powered by one. I'll probably be the outlier with this but I always liked the engine and am kind of surprised it never really saw much use. I think it would be a good engine for a Cessna 150 STC because it would basically bolt in.

I believe the OPs issue is more due to it being a 240 than FADEC as few aiircraft use any variant of that particular 50+ year old engine model.

I agree.

Last edited:
I think it would be a good engine for a Cessna 150 STC because it would basically bolt in.
I tend to believe it was the O-200 replacement aftermarket TCM thought the 240 would take off in, but it never materialized.

I’ll add on that Reims built O-240 powered 150s for the European market, so at least some legwork has already been done.

Back