Continental Cylinder Deck Studs Trouble

Jeacarl

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jeacarl
Last month I had an emergency with my C182 / Continental O470U. After take off and at about 3000 ft, I began to hear a loud noise in the cabin, and decided to land as quickly as posibly, that happend 17 minutes after take off. When the mechanic checked the airplane, he saw a fracture in the exaust tube of the 3rd cylinder, that was the cause of the loud noise, but also 4 of the 6 deck cylinder studs of the same cylinder were broken. Before this happened I had never experienced any power loss, wrong indications of oil or temperature. The mechanic made compression test and they were ok.
The engine had 373 hours from its overhaul, by Airmark Overhaul Inc. These people just said that the problem could be due to detonation, but all the parts, spark plugs, cylinders, etc were ok.
We are changing all of the cylinder deck studs, to be safe. I would like to ask if anybody had something similar happen to them?
I’ve been told this issue could be due to over-torque of the studs.

I’ve been told this issue could be due to over-torque of the studs.
What is the total time on the engine?
Previous overhaul history?

This might get more views in the maintenance section. One of the mods can move it if you'd like.

Welcome to POA. Sorry to hear about the engine problem.

The engine had 373 hours from its overhaul, by Airmark Overhaul Inc. These people just said that the problem could be due to detonation,
Is Airmark trying to snivel on warrantee ?

Is Airmark trying to snivel on warrantee ?
They just said that the warranty is no longer valid because was 1 year or 480 hours, I dont worry if they dont asume the responsability, but really want to know what really happens for security matters.

This might get more views in the maintenance section. One of the mods can move it if you'd like.

Welcome to POA. Sorry to hear about the engine problem.
How I can make that happen? Thank you

Cylinder hold down studs get stretched each time a cylinder is changed. They can only be stretched a certain number of times until they brake.

no history on the case, no work order saying what was done to the case at last overhaul.

we can only guess why they broke.

How I can make that happen? Thank you
I’ve asked for it to be moved using the ‘report’ feature. Just wanted your agreement to have it moved before asking a mod.

I can say that TCM changed the torque values and increased them on the 520/550 crank case. Not sure about 470 cases....but, it could be related.

another thought.....TCM calls for a "wet" torque. Ask, were the bolts torqued wet? It makes a difference. A dry torqued bolt will not develop the same loading as a "wet" bolt.

I can say that TCM changed the torque values and increased them on the 520/550 crank case. Not sure about 470 cases....but, it could be related.
We don't know if this was a used case, reworked case, or a new case. or if they even replaced both halves.
I would suggest that the OP try to get the WORK ORDER for the rebuild. see what it says.

We don't know if this was a used case, reworked case, or a new case. or if they even replaced both halves.
I would suggest that the OP try to get the WORK ORDER for the rebuild. see what it says.
Ask for it, and the OP said that after 1 year they get rid off the info.

Enviado desde mi VTR-L29 mediante Tapatalk

Ask for it, and the OP said that after 1 year they get rid off the info.
If they are a CRS, they are required to keep those records for 24 months

work orders are retained for two years.....
unless they are not a certified repair station. It doesn't matter how big the facility is, If they are operating as a company, hiring A&P mechanics who sign off their own work.
The company isn't required to keep records of who did what.

unless they are not a certified repair station. It doesn't matter how big the facility is, If they are operating as a company, hiring A&P mechanics who sign off their own work.
The company isn't required to keep records of who did what.
they also are not authorized to keep work orders....they must log their work.

Back