Continental Control Area....please explain.

maduro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Maduro
Can someone please explain what the Continental Control Area is? How is it controlled and used? Thanx.

Can someone please explain what the Continental Control Area is? How is it controlled and used? Thanx.

That airspace designation hasn't existed in many years. It used to be airspace over the U.S. at and above 14,500. It was just controlled airspace, not unlike today's Class E.

I am looking at the Twin Cities Sectional and near Aberdeen, South Dakota.... I do believe there are some Continental Control Areas. My question is that does Class G air space go up to 14,500 feet in those areas? To enter a Continental Control Area, do you have to get permission like say the controlling Center?

I am looking at the Twin Cities Sectional and near Aberdeen, South Dakota.... I do believe there are some Continental Control Areas. My question is that does Class G air space go up to 14,500 feet in those areas? To enter a Continental Control Area, do you have to get permission like say the controlling Center?

I suspect you are looking at areas where the ceiling of Class G is 14,500 (not CCAs, which is a retired concept/term.) It would be Class E above that to 18,000, with Class A to 60,000, and Class E above that to where ever "outer space" begins as far as the U.S. is concerned.

No permission is generally needed to enter Class G or E (except for areas around towered air fields.)

EDIT: We have some areas like that in Oregon that I've flown through. I noticed the air in higher altitude Class G is cleaner and freer than any other air spaces. I have not spotted any winged unicorns, but I've been told such airspace is where they might be seen.

Last edited:
The Continental Control area no longer exists.

Continental Control Area is an obsolete airspace term. It became obsolete in 1993 when the US adopted ICAO airspace classifications. It was defined as; "In general, airspace above the contiguous US and most of Alaska, at and above 14,500 feet MSL and at least 1500 feet above ground level." The airspace that was formerly Continental Control Area is now Class E airspace up to the base of Class A airspace where Class A airspace has been designated.

You'll find some areas of Class G airspace near Aberdeen, I don't think you'll find any mention of "Continental Control Area" on that or any other current sectional. What you will find is the following notation:

"Class G airspace within the United States extends up to 14,500 feet MSL. At and above this altitude all airspace is within Class E Airspace, excluding the airspace less than 1500 feet above the terrain and certain special use airspace areas."

Continental what ,that went away years ago.

One of our club members just passed his commercial license and he was asked about the Continental Control Area by the FAA examiner.....hence my confusion.

One of our club members just passed his commercial license and he was asked about the Continental Control Area by the FAA examiner.....hence my confusion.
FAA examiner or DPE? Either way they must hast been joking, or eating shrooms from the early years.

One of our club members just passed his commercial license and he was asked about the Continental Control Area by the FAA examiner.....hence my confusion

How did the club member answer the question and what was the examiners response?

You've got it essentially right. The Continental control area begins where
the class G uncontrolled airspace ends at 14,500' and the "control" is basically the same as class E airspace in that you must either adhere to VFR cloud clearances or operate on an IFR clearance. And no, you don't need permission (aka clearance) to operate there under VFR.

Back