Continental 520/550 AD

And big brother smites the voice of reason once again, what happens when bureaucrats are allowed to regulate unchecked.

How is there no manufacture responsibility? Ford, Chevy and Honda fix safety flaws free. Yet we accept a$12k recall for hundreds of pilots?

How is there no manufacture responsibility? Ford, Chevy and Honda fix safety flaws free. Yet we accept a$12k recall for hundreds of pilots?
Valid question, although I shudder to think what the impact would be if that kind of manufacturer responsibility was in place.....ie those new cylinders would double in price.

There's not enough evidnce to support the mfg doing a recall. This is a silly gov't action, nothing more. Blame those who bear responsibility!

me thinks the MFG wants to sell more cylinders....since ECI cylinders was bought....CMG thinks they now have an opportunity. :eek:

Last edited:
Ouch yeah its very cruel action by the bloated bureaucrats in the FAA that will drive a lot of Bonanza owners out of general aviation!

Ouch yeah its very cruel action by the bloated bureaucrats in the FAA that will drive a lot of Bonanza owners out of general aviation!
Not just Bonanza owners. Going to be even worse for the Baron and Twin Cessna and other owners that are affected.

I'm seriously considering buy a new cylinder every other year until I do an overhaul, in hopes of dodging a yet-to-be proposed AD.

I'd be livid if all my cylinders were consecutive serial numbers and all were affected by an AD.

And Navion owners and a bunch of others, but I've still got factory cylinders on my engine.

I'm seriously considering buy a new cylinder every other year until I do an overhaul, in hopes of dodging a yet-to-be proposed AD.

I'd be livid if all my cylinders were consecutive serial numbers and all were affected by an AD.
well....that wouldn't work for this AD.....it covers a broad range in years...2002 thru 2009. :eek:

I'm sure Continental loves this AD....they have a forced sales campaign coming....and are ramping up production. $$$$$

companies love ADs.....specially when it's not theirs. :D

I don't think the bureaucrats at the FAA much care....one way or the other.

Valid question, although I shudder to think what the impact would be if that kind of manufacturer responsibility was in place.....ie those new cylinders would double in price.
A valid point for sure!! Just smells bad that the end consumer pays the price!

Which is why if I bought a plane with Continental cylinders, get a run out engine past TBO, budget for new cylinders and save on purchase price.

If the stats don't back it up, the NTSB and many other organizations feel it's BS, why not get a class action against the FAA.

If the stats don't back it up, the NTSB and many other organizations feel it's BS, why not get a class action against the FAA.

Agree 100%. Just thinking out loud, however, doesn't NTSB have something that keeps their findings from being used in civil court? Seems like I heard that somewhere. Might only be for probable cause findings after incidents.

Back