Cont GO300 cylinders??

t30mg

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
t30mg
Anyone know where to get them?
I've looked all over, called shops, and can only find 2 available. Some shops said Cont isn't offering anymore and 1 shop said they were given a 375 day lead time on new orders!

Are they not the same as O-300 cylinders? O-200 for that matter? If not, what are the differences?

They are different. I don't know the specifics but definitely different part numbers and you cannot use 200/300 cylindes on a geared engine

IIRC there was something different about the head/barrel connection?

IIRC there was something different about the head/barrel connection?
That's on the old cylinders. Anything made since the 80's should be good.

Can they be converted with just a log entry or do they need a field approval or stc?

I believe the GO-300's reputation would be much better today if Continental would have made sure that the O-300 cylinders could NOT bolt on to a GO-300.
FWIW: In my experience, the GO-300 reputation was hurt by people not operating them correctly vs a bad engine. However, it did have some quirks but was/is a solid engine if one flew it properly.

Yes not operating per POH was a problem as well but my conclusion/theory has been that another contributing factor is the installation of O-300 cylinders leading to premature failures. I'm no cylinder expert, just what I came up with several years ago. Keep us updated on your search...

Back