Considering PPL, OCD/"approved" SSRI

A

Anonymous

I would appreciate any advice folks can give . I have considered getting my private pilots license for about 10-15 years, and just started thinking about it again and am kicking the tires. I have been watching lots of training videos etc lately, and today stumbled on information regarding the use of SSRIs which I was quite surprised about.

I was diagnosed with OCD about 10 years ago (type of contamination OCD) and have been on 2 different SSRIs since then, both on the “approved” list (switched meds, not taken together). When on the medication I lead a very normal life, so much that my psychiatrist is now very slowly lowering the dose so we can get to a lower dose that is still efficacious. I have no intention of stopping the medication. (I stopped once and after 9-12 months symptoms came back) I also take benazepril and hydrochlorothiazide that controls moderate hypertension. I am relatively healthy, don’t smoke or drink.

From what I have gathered the SSRI I take is not completely disqualifying, but it sounds like the hoops and money involved for evaluations can be significant. I guess I am looking for confirmation that getting past this is quite prohibitive. If it was just a couple extra appointments and and a little extra money I would considerate it. However, if it is a huge hassle, costs an extra $5-10K like I have read, I don’t think it is worth it for me. I guess before I just give up, I want to make sure that my understanding of the situation is at least semi-accurate.

Thanks.

Didn't realize there was a pretty significant limitation on aircraft with the sport pilot license. I am a fairly large individual, and this may be a bit limiting. 6'6" / 250

Not much, but maybe I will. I guess eventually I dreamed of taking the family but maybe that would just have to wait and my wife and I could go. For the most part I am just really interested in aviation and knowing that "I can pilot a plane"....guess I just wanted all the benefits that came with that.

If that were my only option "For the time being" and i had a passion to fly? I would be on board with it. Easy transition from sport to PPL should things change in the future. You still get to fly and you and your wife can have quality alone time for the adventures. MHO. Family members one at a time. But thats just me and my thinking. All boils down to how much you have the desire to fly. Obstacles in most case can be overcome. I hope you find a solution and Hope it works for you.

Last edited:
I've been thinking a lot about this. I may reach out to get a confidential consultation from a HIMS AME as seems to be a recommendation often in this forum. In the meantime, pursing a sport pilots license is probably the best route. I get to see how I like flying and kick the tires a bit, and still be part of "aviation".

My biggest concern with the sport pilot is the limited number of seats and the limited plane options regarding comfort and payload. I am not a small person...6'6" / 250. I am also not super thrilled about flying a plane somebody built in their garage either, which appears to make up a substantial part of the LSAs. With all the above said, it appears the FAA is considering changes to expand the restrictions on planes a bit....sounds like maybe 2023. In the grand scheme of things that isn't that long, although I am sure it could/will drag out a bit.

Lastly, it appears pretty hard to actually find an LSA to rent which is probably the most immediate hurdle I would face. But like I mentioned above, rather than start down the class 3 medical only to potentially ruin my chance of flying at all, which doesn't seem to have much upside, I might as well start now on a sports license as the PPL class 3 would take awhile even if it eventually went through.

Any thoughts are of course appreciated as I am trying to find my way here.

Another possible option is a touring motor glider. I'm torn between that and LSA. Still only 2 seats, but not quite as limited.

Google touring motor glider for info.

First - call Vans or Zennith and ask them if you’d fit in one of their LSA’s. Find a local pilot with one and ask if you could just sit it.

BTW - you can do most of your training in a regular Skyhawk to see if you actually like it. Then find another instructor who will transition you to an LSA for solo and practical. They are far and few between so you might have to go to a 2 week “boot camp” to finish up.

LSA rentals are indeed hard to find. Could just buy something like an RV 12 for $100k or so.

These guys can tell you a lot more about
LSA and Sport License.

https://www.sportpilottalk.com/

Last edited:
You’re probably aware, but to be sure - if you decide to pursue a 3rd class medical, make sure you have all the testing completed and wrapped up with a bow before submitting an official medical.

Otherwise Sport is a very good starting choice if you can find someone renting airplanes. There are quite a few smaller factory built airplanes such as Cubs, Taylorcraft and Ercoupes which are sport legal. Additionally, there is a push to expand the sport definition to include larger 4 seat planes. It may be years before it happens or never, but there is hope.

I would not be concerned about size - pilots of all sizes fit into airplanes, including tall guys. Weight might be an issue, but there are ways to handle that by taking on less fuel. If in doubt, ask someone to sit in a plane you’re interested in.

BTW - you can do most of your training in a regular Skyhawk to see if you actually like it. Then find another instructor who will transition you to an LSA for solo and practical. They are far and few between so you might have to go to a 2 week “boot camp” to finish up.

This. For someone who has dreamed of flying, just go do it and start in the 172. See how well you like it. Then decide on the path forward to overcome the details.

My biggest concern with the sport pilot is the limited number of seats and the limited plane options regarding comfort and payload. I am not a small person...6'6" / 250. I am also not super thrilled about flying a plane somebody built in their garage either, which appears to make up a substantial part of the LSAs...

Not really. LSA includes various things: There are factory built (SLSA), aircraft built to a kit with no deviation from the design allowed (ELSA), factory built SLSA with a paperwork conversion to ELSA (to ease maintenance requirements), and lastly the vast majority, aircraft with standard or experimental-amateur built (E-AB) aircraft which meet the LSA definition. So classic light planes like Cubs, Taylorcraft, Aeronca, etc., qualify as LSA even though they were built before LSA existed. Some of those will fit a big guy like you. Whether you can find one to rent is another matter.

But don't be frightened about "flying a plane somebody built in their garage", many of them have workmanship far surpassing what you'd see from any factory. And once they've been flying for awhile past the initial test period, they'll be just as reliable as a standard category aircraft, if maintained properly. I'm currently flying my third homebuilt (fifth if you count ultralights) and will never own another factory built airplane, the maintenance requirements and part prices are too onerous.

Many are factory-built (SLSA), and you can't rent amateur-built (ELSA) anyway.

ELSA isn't necessarily amateur built, they can be converted from SLSA... though you're correct that they can't be rented.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back