Considering in becoming a Class Three private pilot, but I wear contacts...

P

Palmac06

Considering in becoming a Class Three private pilot, but I wear contacts. When I tested my vision using a print out of Stellens eye chart. I placed the chart in a well lite room and was standing about approx. 9.5ft (as the direction had mentioned) from the chart with both eyes I can see up to 20/40 and can make out some letters of 20/30. But when separately testing out my eyes... with my left eye I can see up to 20/40-50ish and 20/40-50ish in my right eye. Keep in mind my eyes are a bit sensitive to light. Sometimes a well lite room can be too sensitive for me see at times. But when I use both of my eyes I can make out 20/40 and some letters of 20/30. Do you think the AME will allow this? Will there be some restrictions? If no, is there some special waiver or appeals I can look into? I really want to become a private pilot and I don't want my eyes preventing me from achieving my life time goal!

Thanks for the help!

Are those numbers corrected or uncorrected?

If corrected is 20/40 in each eye, you're good. You'll just have a requirement for corrective lenses shown on your medical.

If worse than that, Flight Test and limitations.

If you're just near/far sighted with astigmatism, just get a new exam and glasses. Should be easily corrected to 20/20 with glasses.

Are those numbers corrected or uncorrected?

If corrected is 20/40 in each eye, you're good. You'll just have a requirement for corrective lenses shown on your medical.

If worse than that, Flight Test and limitations.

Yes that is with corrected lenses. Do i need to provide them with my contact lenses information?

If you're just near/far sighted with astigmatism, just get a new exam and glasses. Should be easily corrected to 20/20 with glasses.

Problem is my eyes are a bit weak. And actually my optometrists was only able to correct to about 20/70. But I can see 20/40 with no problem.

OP, although I think the advice you are getting here is good, there are some other things to consider.

Most important, if you try for your medical and fail (for any reason, not just vision) you are not able to qualify for a sport pilot license, for which the so-called driver's license is adequate. Therefore, you need to be sure you can pass before you visit the AME for a medical certificate.

Best advice: go to the AOPA website and contact Dr. Bruce Chien. Or, you can get to him on www.aeromedicaldoc.com. Be candid with him, and his advice is gold. Seriously!

-Skip

OP, although I think the advice you are getting here is good, there are some other things to consider.

Most important, if you try for your medical and fail (for any reason, not just vision) you are not able to qualify for a sport pilot license, for which the so-called driver's license is adequate. Therefore, you need to be sure you can pass before you visit the AME for a medical certificate.

Best advice: go to the AOPA website and contact Dr. Bruce Chien. Or, you can get to him on www.aeromedicaldoc.com. Be candid with him, and his advice is gold. Seriously!

-Skip

Thanks for the information, but I don't live in IL. Im from CA

I got lucky. Turns out my eye guy is also a pilot. I always see him before I schedule my AME visit, no surprises that way.

Problem is my eyes are a bit weak. And actually my optometrists was only able to correct to about 20/70. But I can see 20/40 with no problem.
What matters is what you test in the doctor's office. If you test 20/40 or better in each eye with correction, you're good to go for Third Class and therefore Private Pilot. If not, you have a problem, because I've never heard of a Special Issuance for defective distant visual acuity not correctable to at least 20/40. I do know of SI's for monocular vision (i.e., only one working eye), but that eye has to test 20/40 or better corrected to be eligible.

I suggest you talk with Dr. Bruce Chien, an AME whose entire practice is difficult FAA medical certifications. You can reach him via either the AOPA Forums or his web site, and you very much should do so before you submit an FAA medical application. He is generally happy to provide advice and information over the phone even if you don't go to him for your actual medical examination.

Note the only absolute bar to contacts is using one for near vision and one for distant. This is absolutely forbidden (though doing this with surgery is acceptable). I still can't understand what exactly your vision issues. If you're on the edge with the eye chart vs. the machines used, you can get a vision report (form 8500-7) from an opthomologist (or similar provider) and as long as you are in the 20/40 each eye, you can get the regular third class issuance.

My uncorrected vision is right on the hairy edge of 20/40. I could pass with an eye chart (and fortunately the AME I used for many years used one). I can't pass with those blasted machines. However, I gave up worrying about not having the restriction when I couldn't pass my regular DMV eye test either.

I'm no doctor, but it was explained to me that typically glasses give better correction than contacts. If you are having trouble with contacts, try glasses.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back