Considering career as pilot

The people I know who own the nicest aircraft are not professional pilots, that's for sure.
The people I know who own the nicest aircraft are not pilots at all. They are content to sit in the back. I have occasionally asked people who express at least a little interest in what is going on up front if they have ever thought of learning to fly. It seems like the most prevalent answer is not enough time to devote to what they know is a challenging task.

Apparently some of us have a misguided idea of what constitutes a "nice" airplane...:smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin:

Cessna 195 vs. King Air? When you can fly a big, fast airplane for a living, what's so "nice" about flying something like a King Air as a hobby? :lol::D
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

To the OP, I'd join the chorus that you should complete a four year degree. If you wish to pursue an aviation career that's your choice, but it won't be easy, and you'll need a four year degree anyway. And as has been said, don't prepay for your aviation education!

Point take, Grant...lol...:cornut: If only ministers on their own could afford something so "nice." :frown3:

Depends on the ministry. The local mega church here has two nice private jets at the local airport and the head pastor gets a very nice 7-series BMW.

Not too mention the pope does not look to be hurting for cash ;)

:D

I guess you just have to pick the right god? ;)

FSM does not pay too much. :(

He just enriches the dough of one's life. But he does not enrich one's life with dough. ;) :)

Last edited:
Local TV preachers are feeling the squeeze from the IRS and media re. some of the necessary "vestments" (such as Citation X and Hawker) for their ongoing ministry with the great unwashed.

Great big TV preacherman
In a suit and a tie and a vest
Tells you to send your money to the Lord
But he gives you his address.

Depends on the ministry.

The local mega church here has two nice private jets at the local airport and the head pastor gets a very nice 7-series BMW.

He just enriches the dough of one's life. But he does not enrich one's life with dough. ;) :)

Depends on the ministry. The local mega church here has two nice private jets at the local airport and the head pastor gets a very nice 7-series BMW.

Knew someone would bring that up...there's always exceptions. There are many "issues" and possible questionable practices involved with some ministers...which could make for some long theological discussions. :yes:

Knew someone would bring that up...there's always exceptions. There are many "issues" and possible questionable practices involved with some ministers...which could make for some long theological discussions. :yes:
I don't want to go there. I was just wanting to bring up FSM. He always brings a smile to may face!! :D

I thought my line about his noodly magnificence; "He just enriches the dough of one's life. But he does not enrich one's life with dough," was clever. :D:D

True, most engineers don't make good managers. Of course, most managers of engineering firms with such backgrounds are referred to as the pointy-haired boss, usually with good reason.

My current boss is a J.D., 24 year FBI Special Agent Veteran.

He's the best boss I've ever had.

The worst managers I've ever had have been engineers -- every problem is over-analyzed, the customer's problems are not our concern, and the world should bow at our genius.

And if you actually understood the reference, you'd see why that falls in line with what you said. I even said most engineers don't make good managers. :rolleyes:

I read Dilbert until it depresses me. Then I take a break.

(In my last job Dilbert and Office Space became surreal -- I couldn't read or watch because each was so true it wasn't funny anymore -- just sad).

How did your BA and MA get you the engineering position?

Or did you have some other experience that made you attractive to your employer?

Generally speaking Ron is correct. The history degree alone will not open a lot of doors for people. Lets be honest, not too many jobs for a BA in history, one needs extra training experience, or connections to put that degree to work. But your comment about skill obtained during the pursuing of the degree are also true.

My degree is in electrical engineering. I've been a manager twice, and both times got out of it with no regrets. Different skill sets. I'm damned good at what I do (at least, I like to think I am), but I'm not a great manager. Too qualified to do the job to spend time being "daddy" to a bunch of adults.

If you want an engineering job where I have a vote, you'd better either have the degree or work experience that shows that you are otherwise qualified. No BA degrees fresh out of school. And I'd really rather you didn't have a BS in Physics. It takes too long to make engineers out of such people. :D

And, as I've said before, Dilbert is not a comic strip. Dilbert is a documentary. And I've worked for that pointy hair boss.

OP - stay in school, get a degree in something you like. That's the best advice that's been posted here. Yes, some degrees will get your foot in the door for better jobs than other degrees, but the best job in the world isn't worth a hoot if you hate it. Get the degree, then work on being a professional (defined as one who is paid) pilot. And, even if you don't fly for a living, fly like a professional. You don't have to be paid to do that.

I don't want to go there. I was just wanting to bring up FSM. He always brings a smile to may face!! :D

I thought my line about his noodly magnificence; "He just enriches the dough of one's life. But he does not enrich one's life with dough," was clever. :D:D

I don't want to go there either...I have more productive uses for my time to think about. :D

FSM...cute!

I don't want to go there either...I have more productive uses for my time to think about. :D

FSM...cute!

Moral of the story OP...if you want a good chance at having a lucrative income, becoming a minister would probably not be your top choice...:)
btw...I concur with many others, finish the degree. It can be a catalyst for other possibilities.

I would be less inclined to hitch my education wagon to the idea that I can be a knowledge worker in an office environment for the rest of my career.. I would get training in something that will actually earn you reasonable money right away - specialized welding of pressure vessels, etc. / diesel mechanic / commercial heating and cooling / high pressure boiler repair / hazmat licenses /etc... Then with cash flow in hand I would pursue my flying ratings..

denny-o

Interesting -- most of the owners of really nice airplanes at the local patch are owners of machine shops, welding shops, and other such "mundane" operations.

Interesting -- most of the owners of really nice airplanes at the local patch are owners of machine shops, welding shops, and other such "mundane" operations.
We have a guy who is the owner of a really nice Cirrus and several hotdog stands. Seems that the hotdog/pizza business can be lucrative as well. I have seen several guys who do really well with those. Up until the economy took a dive one of the guys who owns several marinas had a really nice Bell Jet Ranger.

Key difference between "owner" and "employee". It's not enough to have a marketable skill - that just means you'll make a living - maybe a good living, maybe a ramen-noodle living. Generally, to be wealthy requires being an owner (or a partner) or other executive-level responsibilities.

Or inherit it from someone who met those qualifications.

Key difference between "owner" and "employee". It's not enough to have a marketable skill - that just means you'll make a living - maybe a good living, maybe a ramen-noodle living. Generally, to be wealthy requires being an owner (or a partner) or other executive-level responsibilities.

Or inherit it from someone who met those qualifications.

Yep -- but the barriers to owning hot dog stands are not the same as owning Innatech...

Yep -- but the barriers to owning hot dog stands are not the same as owning Innatech...
Absolutely. Look at Orange County Choppers, or many other successful businesses built around "trades".

Starting a business is very risky. If you've already got a lot of money, you can reduce the risk. If you haven't got any money, you don't have much to lose (but if you need financing be careful you don't end up an "owner" in name only, with your creditor being the one getting rich). If you've got "some" capital of your own, it's a big bet to make, gambling your savings or kid's college money.

An interesting study I read in the not distant past, was an analysis of , "who in the high school body becomes a millionaire, i.e. has a net worth of 1 million or more - the class valedictorian or someone else?"
The interesting finding is that majority come from the smart kids in the third row at school, not the college track kids in the first two rows...
The typical millionaire they found was mid forties, owned his/her own business in concrete, plumbing, electrical, well drilling, machine shop, etc. and had 6 to 9 employees... Mostly, they still wore blue jeans, drove a pickup, still worked hands on at their business, but on the weekends they went to the marina to hang out on their $300,000 cigarette boat...

denny-o

Back