Connector Nomenclature

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
Ever wonder why a female headset connector is called a Jack and not a Jill? And why the male is a Plug and not a Jack?

Me too. Then again, I have WAY too much time on my hands.

Jim

I'm still hung up on the "park on the driveway and drive on the parkway" thing - just can't get past it...even with professional help...

I'm still watching and wondering when a fly lands on the ceiling, does it do it out of a roll or a loop?

Jim

I can't remember the details, but years ago I worked with a guy who was trying to connect two cables on a piece of equipment. Anyone who knows what Bendix connectors are knows they are pretty much indestructible and idiot proof. He complained about how hard it was to get those connectors to mate. A couple of us looked more closely and said, "Well, yeah, they don't work male-to-male." The pins were all mangled. We handed him a broom and told him to get back to doing what he knew. We still talk about that episode.

Ever wonder why a female headset connector is called a Jack and not a Jill? And why the male is a Plug and not a Jack?

Me too. Then again, I have WAY too much time on my hands.

Jim

Me too, why are all the even numbered cylinders all on one side of the engine and all the odd all on the other?

Me too, why are all the even numbered cylinders all on one side of the engine and all the odd all on the other?

Because they are numbered in rod bearing order on the crankshaft?

I grew up in the sexually repressed '50s, and I'm still amazed that referring to connectors as male and female was allowed back then!

I grew up in the sexually repressed '50s, and I'm still amazed that referring to connectors as male and female was allowed back then!

The funny thing is that audio/power connectors are sexed by their outer shell or casing, while RF connectors are sexed by their center pins.

Jim

except some Fords which are numbered 1234 on one side and 5678 on the other.

Back