Connect iPad to router wirelessly

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
At one time my iPad would connect to my router, but something got screwed up and I can't get it to connect for sour owl manure. Any suggestions on a troubleshooting regimen?

Thanks,

Jim

What’s happening? Does it ask for a password or is it just not finding your router when searching for available networks?

Not sure how tech savvy you are, so I’ll state the obvious. Is the WiFi on your iPad turned on?

Also, if your network name is hidden, then it probably won't connect or reconnect automatically.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Also note if you hit the button to “turn off WiFi” in the current version of iOS it actually just disconnects from the SSID you’re currently connected to for 24 hours. To actually turn off WiFi now, you have to go into WiFi settings.

The 24 hour thing can cause confusion since it won’t reconnect automatically to that particular WiFi network but will reconnect to others. Until the next day.

What model of ipad is it? The older model didnt support 5Ghz WiFi. Take a look at the wireless router and see if the 2.4Ghz wifi is enabled. Does it the ipad pick up other WiFi/SSID?

Also, if your network name is hidden, then it probably won't connect or reconnect automatically.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
It will. Only time it won’t automatically connect is if you select ‘Forget this network’. Otherwise, a known network will (attempt) to join anytime, atleast that’s been my experience.

If push comes to shove, reset network settings. It's going after flies with a bazooka, but works.

Also what version of iOS is on it. There were some WiFi bugs in some versions. Never admitted to by Apple really, though.

First, have you tried turning it off then on again?(seriously, try that)

If that doesn't work, go into your wifi settings, find your network, tap the little circle with the "i" in it by the network. Tap on "forget this network". Now go back to your wifi settings and connect again from scratch with the password.

What’s happening? Does it ask for a password or is it just not finding your router when searching for available networks?

Not sure how tech savvy you are, so I’ll state the obvious. Is the WiFi on your iPad turned on?

It does NOT ask for a password, and it seems to find the router just fine. Yes, WiFi is turned on.

Both my WiFe and I have iPads. Hers connects just fine, although she has IP addy 192.168.0.107 and mine has ***.108 and I can't manually tell it to go to 107.

My android phone connects (2.4 GHz.) just fine from the same location that I'm using the iPad, but I can't get the phone to give me the IP that it is connecting to.

THanks,

Jim

What model of ipad is it? The older model didnt support 5Ghz WiFi. Take a look at the wireless router and see if the 2.4Ghz wifi is enabled. Does it the ipad pick up other WiFi/SSID?

First gen (MC497LL) still running iOs 5 (5.1.1 to be exact) and "update" tells me that I'm running the latest usable version. All my stuff is still running on 2.4 gig and my desktop (with external wifi adapter), my wife's iPhone and iPad, and my android phone are all running just fine on 2.4.

Thanks,
Jim

First, have you tried turning it off then on again?(seriously, try that)

If that doesn't work, go into your wifi settings, find your network, tap the little circle with the "i" in it by the network. Tap on "forget this network". Now go back to your wifi settings and connect again from scratch with the password.

Off and on make no difference, whether router or iPad. I can "forget" the network, but when I try to do it from scratch it still comes up with IP address ***.108. I don't know if the iPad "remembers" that router name bzlflzxy or whatever uses .108

Thanks,
Jim

Off and on make no difference, whether router or iPad. I can "forget" the network, but when I try to do it from scratch it still comes up with IP address ***.108. I don't know if the iPad "remembers" that router name bzlflzxy or whatever uses .108

Thanks,
Jim

IP address for the device itself should NOT be the same as any other device on your network. Typically the router will be xxx.1 and have DHCP (allocates addresses on request) turned on so all devices will get addresses starting at something like 100. Sounds like yours is set up that way. If you could manually set yours to 107 it still wouldn't work and your wife would be screwed up as well.

To clarify from your responses: wife's i device works. Your android phone works from the same location as your iPad does not. Forcing your iPad to re-connect from scratch still does not work. (What method are you using since you can't make yours "forget" the network? This still seems like the most likely fix.)

Have you rebooted the router? My Linksys somehow accumulates "phantom" devices in it's table over time. Duplicates of actual devices. When it gets full random bad stuff happens. If you haven't rebooted the router (hard reboot) try it.

John

Thanks,
Jim

OK, I just did a "forget" and reconnect, and it comes up ***.108 again; I can see half a dozen of my neighbors' wireless networks also.

Here is a stupid question. It tells me in"settings - general - about" that my "carrier" is AT&T 12.0. I haven't used AT&T for over a year. Is it possible that without a "carrier" (whatever the hell that means) that I can't connect to WiFi?

Additional information: In the upper left hand corner of the screen it shows "no service" and the little "radio" symbol next to it shows two bars.

Hopes this helps y'all to let me get this thing going

OK, I just did a "forget" and reconnect, and it comes up ***.108 again; I can see half a dozen of my neighbors' wireless networks also.

Here is a stupid question. It tells me in"settings - general - about" that my "carrier" is AT&T 12.0. I haven't used AT&T for over a year. Is it possible that without a "carrier" (whatever the hell that means) that I can't connect to WiFi?

Additional information: In the upper left hand corner of the screen it shows "no service" and the little "radio" symbol next to it shows two bars.

Is cellular data turned off in your settings?

AT&T is whomever you originally had service for the cellular with. No, cellular service is not required to connect to WiFi. The radio symbol with it's radio wave bars is what you care about for this purpose.

As I put in my last post, the IP address will be unique on your network. If it's the same as any other device it breaks stuff.

Have you rebooted the router itself?

Did a router hard boot ... pulled the power connector, wait 30 seconds, plug it back in. No changes. The "no service" lamp ULHC is still lit.

THanks

Jim

Is cellular data turned off in your settings?

A **WINNER** folks, we have a winner. Turning cellular data off allowed all my Foreflight maps to update, my emails to come through ... in short (you should pardon the expression) the damn thing is FIXED.

Thanks to all that helped.

Jim

It does NOT ask for a password, and it seems to find the router just fine. Yes, WiFi is turned on.

Both my WiFe and I have iPads. Hers connects just fine, although she has IP addy 192.168.0.107 and mine has ***.108 and I can't manually tell it to go to 107.

My android phone connects (2.4 GHz.) just fine from the same location that I'm using the iPad, but I can't get the phone to give me the IP that it is connecting to.

THanks,

Jim

You wouldn’t want yours to be on the same IP as hers anyway. Why would you manually want to cause an address conflict? That is NOT the IP it’s “connecting to”. It’s the DHCP assigned address of the device.

IP is completely irrelevant here, you’re having a Layer 2 issue in the OSI model, not Layer 3.

I bet this is some stupid authentication problem that iOS is hiding from you and not telling you it is having. Probably an expired key that isn’t able to be accepted properly. Self signed. Something stupid like that.

To get iOS to completely start over and wipe everything about the network would probably fix it — but Apples implementation of that is a pain in the ass. Because if you say “Forget this Network” it can cause serious problems re-adding it (in my past experience with it) without doing a full network reset.

Here’s a much simpler way to “trick” it and will probably work fine...

1. Make sure you know your current wireless lan password.
2. Get into your WiFi router and change the password on your wireless LAN. Do this from something Ethernet connected not wireless.
3. Everything will get disconnected. This is fine.
4. Search for the LAN and connect to it from the iOS device having problems. The change of password will force a new key exchange and all of that rubbish. Essentially making an all new connection from the ground up. I bet you get an “accept this key” warning or similar and have to accept it.
5. Once that’s working. Get back on the Ethernet connected PC and change the password BACK to what it was.
6. Devices may need a little coaxing but they should all reconnect. The iOS device that was having problems should ask for a new password.
7. Enter the password on the recalcitrant iOS device and everything should be back to normal without too much having to screw around in iOS.

Quick and dirty way to get iOS to behave on a small home wireless lan where a brief “outage” is no big deal. Otherwise I’d go with the Network reset on the iOS device. But that messes with more settings and defaults more things than necessary.

A **WINNER** folks, we have a winner. Turning cellular data off allowed all my Foreflight maps to update, my emails to come through ... in short (you should pardon the expression) the damn thing is FIXED.

Thanks to all that helped.

Jim
“Usually” the device should auto switch between WiFi and cell data. But since you have older device with older iOS, it sounds like auto switch isnt working.

Glad you discovered a work around.

“Usually” the device should auto switch between WiFi and cell data. But since you have older device with older iOS, it sounds like auto switch isnt working.

Glad you discovered a work around.

Or the WiFi internet speed is so god awful slow that “Cellular Assist” is turned on and stays in that mode constantly. How slow is your internet Jim? Is Cellular Assist turned on?

Or iOS is just a buggy POS.

Or the WiFi internet speed is so god awful slow that “Cellular Assist” is turned on and stays in that mode constantly. How slow is your internet Jim? Is Cellular Assist turned on?

Or iOS is just a buggy POS.

WiFi speed is 6 down and 2 up, and while that isn't going to win the 100 meter hurdles, it isn't all that bad. I have no idea what Cellular Assist is or where to find it. In my notsohumble experience, anything that starts off with a lower case i is a POS, but since my beloved ADS-B vendor is in bed with Foreflight, I'm stuck with the aforementioned iCrap.

Now that I've got good connectivity on all my other apps, Foreflight refuses to download charts. I'm telling you I've about had it with software vendors that bring out the latest greatest magnificentest versions that make the old versions into a POSS. (second S for smelly.)

Jim

Back