Congradulations,... Pilot! Best words Ever!

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
The day began at 4am... then 4:45,... then 5:30am,.. Ok,.. I'm getting up now. Other than those last few hours, I did get a good night sleep. Today was the day, and 8am was approaching quickly.

After getting settled in downstairs, I booted up the computer and looked at the weather. Pulled out my flight plan for the XC to Gaithersburg, MD, and started to work on the final planning. At 6:45am, I called FSS and recieved my briefing as if I was departing at 8am (1200Z). Conditions were great, and I don't think I could have recieved a better day.... it was the definition of CAVU (Ceiling and Visibility Unlimited). After finishing my flight plan, I felt better, so I decided to get ready and brush my teeth. The darndest things come into your head when brushing your teeth. Before the PE exam, I was a nervous wreck,.. and today, I was pretty good,.. then I remembered "East is Least and West is Best".... Uh O! I just did the opposite on my flight plan.... quick ran in and erased my Magnetic Headings, and fixed them,... Whew! Glad I caught that.

Packed up the car, gave Becky a hug and kiss, and off to the airport I went. I arrived just ahead of the Designated Examinger, Paul. Since he was behind me, I wonder if he read my license plate....? Abe was there and I brought my flight bag and books inside to the small office. Abe had it all nice and cozy,.. looking like an interogation room with the dim lighting and a small desk lamp looking like a spot light. Paul and Abe joked about that, and then Paul said, "Let's get started, bring me your log book and application." Abe went out to the plane to open it up, so it didn't get to hot. I went into the room, and my stomach tied in knots. Up to this point, I was pretty relaxed, but this was the part I was worried about all week.

My logbook, paperwork, and 8710 checked out fine and we began a casual conversation of why I am flying and what am I looking to get from flying. We then led into some of the FAR type questions about Pilot in Command actions and requirements to remain current, and the difference between being current and being proficient. He emphasized that safety is a priority, and recommends all new pilots to fly with an instructor every three months or so just to make sure no bad habits begin to form early in the flying experience. I stumbled here and there, but was able to briefly talk the answer out. Most of the items I knew and was prepared for, especially the airplane performance and emergency procedures.

Then came the Cross country discussion and review. Now, Gaithersburg is located inside the Washington ADIZ, which complicates things initially, but itsn't to difficult if the proper procedures are followed. I reviewed my planning, Weight and Balance, Takeoff and landing distances, Fuel, etc, and he was happy with the results. This lead into reviewing the sectional and identifying airspace and contact information for VOR's, FSS, restricted and prohibited zones, etc. I know the legend on the Sectional by memory, so this portion went really smoothly.

Ok,.. let's take a 10 minute break and then I'll meet you outside for the flight. I put some items back in the car, checked my flight bag, and met him at the door. As we walked towards the plane, I told Paul that I left the Air Conditioning on, (both doors were completely open) as we approached for the preflight. I began the preflight and he casually talked to me about the great weather and asked how much I paid the weatherman!? Getting inside, it was a tight fit. Paul is a tall guy, and even with the seat back his knees were right up to the front.

We ran through the runup, and I used my checklist well, being sure not to miss anything or hesitate. After the runup, we Taxied back on RY 9. First take-off was a soft-field Takeoff, and I'm glad it was. We are at gross weight, and I'm glad for the 10* flaps. Takeoff was perfect and we were slowly climbing,... 400 ft/min at most to hold 67 knots. Turned crosswind, then downwind and departed the pattern on my XC heading of 250*. Time Off, 10:02 am.

Got to the first checkpoint right about 2 minutes past, but that was mainly from departing runway 9 instead of 27, and with good explaination of location and ground references. On the way to the second, he said that was good enough, and we'll start manouvers. Steep turn left and right, both on the money with little to no altitude change by the time I end the roundout to the starting heading. Slow flight was next, with turns left and right about 90* each way. Directly into a power-off stall with no trouble. I was a little heavy on the rudder as the stall broke, and needed quick footwork to keep level, but good recovery. Cleaned up the airplane and entered into a Power-on stall. This was good, and I leveled off at 2600 feet with no issue. Time for some hood work. He started to rock and turn the plane before I even had the hood on,.. and continued while I was waiting to get back the controls. This messed me up a bit,.. and it was difficult to get everything solid again when I had the controls. Power, Pitch, trim,... got it all under control again and we're back on track. Did some standard rate turns and a long climb to 3000 ft while turning. Unusual attitudes were pretty easy. He said I could have been a little more agressive witht he pullout of the steep decending one, but it was smooth and didn't put pressure on the passenger or the airplane. As the hood came off, he asked me where I was. He had me oriented away from most anything familiar, so pulled up the chart and looked around. I found a lake off to my left a few miles and thought that was the one not far off my original XC flight plan. To check, I turned towards it, and dialed in the Modena VOR. Tune, Identified, Twisted the CDI to the "TO" and then the needle centered. Put my pencil on the VOR on the chart and aligned with the radial,.. sure enough, it crossed the lake I was over. "Good,... " said Paul. Let's divert to Pottstown-Muni.

Turned around, and tracked outbound from Modena to get up to Pottstown Muni. As I called the 45* entry to downwind, an Archer glipsed off to my left in a steel right turn. I turned right, and told Paul. I don't know who he was, but we weren't on the same frequency, and he didn't go to Pottstown Muni afterwards. Entered 45* for RY 26.... wait,... why am I flying for 26? Told Paul I was going around to RY 8, as we took off from 9 earlier and conditions seemed the same. "Good judgement" he said, "Do you see the wind-sock?" I looked, but couldn't find it. I continued crosswind for 8, then downwind without problem. "Soft field Landing please" he said. Entered final and lined up well, airspeed, decent, trim, flaps all set. Landed just beyond the number and held the nose up as we slowed. "Good,... now lets go back and do a Short Field Takeoff, stay in the pattern, and a Short Field Landing". Cool, Barb and I worked on these. I set the flaps at 10*, and stayed tight to the edge of the runway. Full brakes, full Power,.. and off we went. Rotated and climbed away and stayed in the pattern. Winds were slightly from the North, giving a very light crosswind. Approach to the Short field landing was to be a touchdown between the second centerline stripe after the number and the fourth. I aimed for the numbers, and rotated well,.. maybe a little high. Touchdown was right in the intended zone, and although not the smoothest, I did well,... raised the flaps, and on the brakes, holding the yoke back.

"Well, let's depart here and head back to Perkiomen, we'll do some more landings there". I left on RY 8, and headed back to N10. Winds were nearly from the North,... so either runway would do just fine. I chose to have RY 27, since it has better clearance from trees and a more familiar approach. On downwind, he gave me an engine out to landing. I set for 60 knots, and tuned base a little early since I'd be having a headwind here. Added 10* flaps,... looks good. Turned final,.. added 20*,.. no,.. now 30*,... nice and good, looking comfortable. Super sweet landing with no trouble,.. couldn't have been better. I turned around, and expected to go up again for another round of testing,... Paul said,.. "That was nice, let's go on in." Hmm,.. I know I did well, but he was writing a lot down. As I turned onto the ramp, he Congradulated me and reminded me that this is the beginning, the License to Learn. After Shut down, he shook my hand and called me "Pilot",.... what a great feeling. I cleaned up the plane and then met him inside, where he was filling out my temporary certificate. "Read this, make sure it's correct"

"Temporary Airman Certificate" !!! I was extatic just seeing it. I called my wife, then my Mom to see if she could babysit,.. (so I could have my wife come over to the airport), and then my dad, and then my wife again. It's great.

After a few minutes and a few photos (My instructor Barb and I), I departed for home in the car. Kind of a let down having the checkride in the middle of the week. Everyone's working, and here I am ready to fly! Luckily, I was able to get a sitter for tonight and I'm going to try and take Becky up, should be a nice evening to try it! Called Lee, stopped in to see Bob at his work,... and then walked in the door at home. It feels great,... now to see where the NorthEast flyer's are meeting next!

And,.. of course, my daughter's and wife made another great poster!

Friday, June 13th, 4pm, WINGs Field,.. be there.

Last edited:
Dude YOU ARE A PILOT!!!!! Congrats, Never had any doubt!!! See you at Wings tomorrow for the celabretory beer or soda. Whoooo Hoooo. And by the way the BEST part is that sign your daughters made for you. That goes straight to the heart.

That is AWESOME, Rob! Congrats!

It's great to have such a supportive family to come home to, to boot!

Congrats Rob! Nice write up.
Sounds like you did great.
The poster your wife and daughters put together was very touching. It's great to have that level of support.

I hope Becky enjoys her first flight with many more to come.

Looking forward to catching up with you guys again soon.

Adam

CONGRATS PILOT!!!!!:happydance:

Way to go Rob! As Adam said, never a doubt. Looking forward to toasting your success at wings tomorrow .:cheerswine:

And folks, he was signed off for the checkride at 40.3 hrs!

Way to go Rob! :cheerswine:

CONGRATS PILOT
Well i told you ,you would do fine just FLY THE PLANE , and obviously you did.

CONGRATS AGAIN
Dave G

Congratulations Rob! Looks like a 4-seater is in your future! :yes:

Re: Congratulations,... Pilot! Best words Ever!

Congratulations Rob! Way to go! :yes:

I enjoyed reading your write-up.

The darndest things come into your head when brushing your teeth. Before the PE exam, I was a nervous wreck,.. and today, I was pretty good,.. then I remembered "East is Least and West is Best".... Uh O! I just did the opposite on my flight plan.... quick ran in and erased my Magnetic Headings, and fixed them,... Whew! Glad I caught that.

It's a good thing you brush your teeth. :D

How cool that your wife and daughters made you another poster...you are blessed to have such a wonderful and supportive family.

I hope your wife enjoys her first flight with you this evening. :)

I called my wife over to look at the poster, we both thought it was very nice. Good job and it sounds like you have a really nice family. Have fun giving rides to your family and friends...it is one of the most rewarding things I have done with my cert.:)

Last edited:
Congratulations, PILOT Rob! I have a great big grin on my face after reading that! Great writeup, and welcome to the club!:yes:

Woohoo!! Good show, Rob! Now time to build more hours and work towards that instrument rating!

Since today was such a great day, I called just about everyone I could think of this afternoon to try and find someone to stop over and watch my daughters so I could take Becky into the skies for the first time. After nearly an hour, I had a hit,.. and they would try to be over at 7pm. I arranged everything with the airport, and as soon as they arrived, Becky and I were on our way. I was excited to be able to get her into the skies and to share the view of the world from up there.

We arrived and we walked over to 48392, the same chariot :D that I rode in today for the checkride. Temporary Airman Certificate in hand, Medical, and Photo ID,... good to go. As she was looking around the airport, I lowered the flaps and prepared the plane. I talked her through what I was doing for the preflight and then I opened the door to show her the inside. I'll let her tell the rest of the story from this point....

{Becky Here}

Talk about a sardine can! I was a bit nervous when I saw the size of the cockpit. After I climbed inside I and Rob buckled me in I was feeling better... Until he said "if the door opens while we're in the air..." OMG... I am going to have to skydive!!!!! Rob said that it has only happened once to him & it was in a different airplane. Ok... I said a little prayer to myself & then said let's do this!

We taxied out to the runway & were off! WOW... once we got off the ground it was So Smooth! I had a great time! It was neat to get up there & see everything. I saw my parents house, their church, & my inlaws house. I really enjoyed getting out with the love of my life & getting to see what he has been raving about over the past 6 months. I can't wait for our first trip out for lunch! I am so very proud of Rob. he has worked so hard to become a pilot & now he can share his love of flying with me! Thanks Babe... I now see why your head has been stuck in the clouds all this time :)!!

{Rob back now}

We had a good time. We departed RY 9 from Perkiomen and turned north to Green Lane where Becky's parents live. Turned over their house to Quakertown to my parents, then south over Lake Nockamixon where there were some sailboats on the water. Next, we turned over towards Lansdale to try and find our house. I spotted it, but Becky lost her way,... maybe next time. After turning towards the airport, I asked her if she wanted to land or watch the sunset. "Sunset,.." so we overflew the airport to watch the last few minutes of the sunset go down over the horizon. Great view from 2500 feet.

Turned back to the airport and entered the downwind for RY 27, since it was calm now. Landed nice and smooth, holding the front wheel up for a while for a good landing. "Hey,.. you weren't on the centerline" is the first thing she said about the landing! Ok,.. time to redeem myself,.. another trip around the pattern for a centerline landing on 27,.. great way to end the day, with my Wife having a great introductory flight and asking if we could go somewhere this weekend and when will she get a headset (the borrowed one isn't in great shape). She tried my headset on, and liked the feel of it,.. so she said my birthday is around the corner and maybe I can get a new one so she can use the Sigtronics,... That's my girl!!

So,.. a great ending to a great day,.. Thanks to all that helped make this possible. Here's my new passenger after her first flight!

Thanks for all the comments today, it's been great. The 172 is just a phone call away, just have to get checked out. I might try that later towards the end of the month, as finances settle down a little after finishing the big payoff of my training. It's been great so far, and only going to be getting better. I'm going to take my expired charts and draw a circle at 50 nm,... start making those XC flights while I save again for the IR sometime in the future. For now,.. looking forward to the summer haze and clear fall flights over the changing colors in the leaves,.. and maybe a christmas evening flight to do some christmas light spotting,....

Time for bed,.. have to return to work for 3/4 day tomorrow before heading over to Wings,.. Thanks again!

that was a good story, but I have a question: what exactly do you mean by the hood? I know they use those for ifr training, but how and why was it used for a vfr checkride?

and congrats on the license. I see a lot of fun in your future.

that was a good story, but I have a question: what exactly do you mean by the hood? I know they use those for ifr training, but how and why was it used for a vfr checkride?

and congrats on the license. I see a lot of fun in your future.

Yup, the same hood that we use for the IFR checkride is used for the VFR checkride to help improve your odds in case of an inadvertent VMC into IMC incursion. It's open for debate how much it actually predicts your performance!

Exactly. We need another "Grant & Leslie" type. :D
Or Diana and Tom, or Greg and Sharon, or Steve and Mary, or ....

Of course, of those, only about half the women are current. What's with that! Common, step up! :)

Oh man...how did I forget about the others. Heh heh heh. I was probably thinking about you & Leslie since you guys go to all the fly ins. :D

Rob, it's great that you are able to share this with your wife, and that she actually wants to! :yes:

Rob, CONGRATS!!! You have accomplished an achievement that you will always smile about when you tell others that "I'm a PILOT!".

Best wishes and happy flying.

Way to go Becky!!

I just sent the post to Mary so she could read it at work. Rob we look forward to catching up with you both on a breakfast or lunch run. I'm bagging a half day here so I can head up to Wings.

I was up last night and the sunset was really nice. I was getting night current again, and practicing approaches at MIV and ILG. Mike (my safety pilot) and I were on with Philly approach for a short time then finally called it a night.

[Mary's Email reply]

OMG, that is so exciting!!!! Brings me right back to our first flight and falling in love with you and your passion for flight. I feel just like Becky, we are so lucky to not only have wonderful husbands, but men that are a cut above, no pun intended ;)

I'm thrilled for Rob, no more worries. Becky has been bitten by the flight bug and it's the start of an excellent adventure for them and the girls.

Sounds like Rob spent time and thought about making Becky's first flight a positive one and it paid off. Rob gets a that a boy!!!!!

Last edited:
Awesome Rob. How long before she starts taking lessons?

I was just thinking the same thing!!!!! At least make her take a few intro lessons from the right seat! She'll then be able to help with the workload and be able to take over in case of emergancy... specially if you are going to go on family outings in the airplane!

Congrats and what a great write up!!

Ok Ted, if your reading this and they'll still be there at about 6pm... we should go.

Missa

So, anybody want to let Missa and me know how long the celebrations are going on so we can fly into KLOM? :) We definitely can't get there by 4, but 5:30 is reasonable.

I told my wife I'd be down there from 4-6+,.. and I'd give her a call. She's out grocery shopping now, but maybe I can get her to drive on down with my daughter's again, and they can give you that photo in person :)

I'm humbled to know that you guys are thinking of flying down. I sent you a PM with my cell, if you decide not to, that's cool, just give me a call and we can talk a bit.

I told my wife I'd be down there from 4-6+,.. and I'd give her a call. She's out grocery shopping now, but maybe I can get her to drive on down with my daughter's again, and they can give you that photo in person :)

I'm humbled to know that you guys are thinking of flying down. I sent you a PM with my cell, if you decide not to, that's cool, just give me a call and we can talk a bit.

I think he's dreaming when he says 5:30... It'll be about 6.

But, our airplane turns into a pumpkin at sunset so we have to be back at IPT by then because a pumpkin is very hard to fly.

We'll play it by ear and see what happens. The weather looks cooperative, and if Missa gets herself together maybe we can make it. If not, you definitely ought to fly up here sometime! It's a quick hop, and a nice way to build some XC time. Bring the girls, we have a great ice cream place about 3 miles from the airport.

Way to go Rob! The best feeling in the world after you get your PPL is realizing your wife loves your new hobby/passion as much as you do. I am sitting here now trying to figure out where we will fly to tonight! (Sorry, can't make it in time to meet up with all of you :p)

Back