Confused about high costs of flying clubs & fractional ownership

darlingm

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
darlingm
The accountant in me is very confused.

A flight school (part 61 and 141) operates out of 3 airports around me, with 11 planes. Renting a Cessna 152 is $89/hr wet Hobbs with no fuel surcharge. A 172 is $126. PPL instruction is $45/hr. My impression is they're among the largest around, certainly not a small operation.

I'm planning on a lot of hours, so am thinking about lowering the long term cost, by putting more in up front. Hoping to not buy my own plane that sits unused periodically, I've been looking at flying clubs & fractional ownership.

I'm looking at http://www.curtiseads.com/aircraft-rental/own-vs-rent-aircraft/ in the $25,000 budget category, which gives estimates at all the hidden ownership costs. (Then compares to renting.)

I've been expecting to find that if I paid in for the equity in the plane (around the purchase price of the aircraft divided by number of members)
to either pay back the purchaser, or cover the monthly payments if financed), and if I bought my own fuel, that I'd be paying a monthly amount to cover the estimated maintenance costs. (Engine overhaul, insurance, annual inspection, prop overhaul, oil, maintenance, etc.) In a non-profit group, anyway.

Going by their guide, since the plane equity is paid for, and the pilot pays for the gas, it looks like the hourly maintenance expenses can be said to be about $21. ($8.33 toward engine overhaul, $0.19 prop overhaul, $1.50 oil, $10 maintenance, $1 avionics.)

But everything I am finding is was unexpected.

$2,000 buyin (bought originally at $4,000, someone's reselling). $100 monthly dues. $95/hour wet tach hours. (Granted it's a 172 not a 152, but again the equity buyin should negate whatever plane it is.)

$1,600 buyin. $60 monthly. $95/hour wet tach hours. (Again, granted it's a 172.)

$4,000 buyin. Fixed monthly expenses split 10 ways. (Amount not given.) $95/hr wet tach. It's a 1969 Cessna 182M.

Let me put it another way. If I started out with another pilot, and we were going to buy a $25,000 plane, it should work out for each of us to put down $12,500. Each of us would buy our own gas (top off tank after landing.) Each of us would contribute the estimated hourly cost toward maintenance, which appears to be about $21/hour. (Or if we trusted each other, when maintenance came up, we'd just pay half the bill, putting money aside on our own for it.) Assuming gas is $45/hour on it, ignoring the purchase price, we'd be paying $66/hour.

Why can't I find anything like this? Do the clubs only deal with planes much more expensive than $25,000?

Is it hopeless for me to hope to pay my own gas, pay about $21/hour for maintenance, and up-front pay my cost of the airplane? Or, do I need to keep looking?

With the lowest club pricing I've found, I'd still be better off just renting from the instructing company.

The club I first started out with was near $2000 per year, $14 dry. They upped that to $21 dry. Doable for sure.

Now, they want $500 annually, and something like $68 dry for a 172. I didn't buy into that. Shopping around. I don't know why a company would actively encourage pilots to fly LESS. It doesn't make sense for the sake of the plane, nor the pilot.

Not cheap. I pay $40/hr dry and $25/mo with no ownership interest. $450 initiation fee. C172M w/430W.

How does your above example work when the starter goes out. $600 for the part. How about the exhaust tail pipe the month before for $400.

There is a spreadsheet floating out there that I'm trying to find. Really well configured and I've used it when I joined a club and partnered. I think I may have even looked at it for possible renting. If I find it, I'll pass it along.

And which $25K plane are you trusting your life to? I would think you would want to start at $45K and suggest a $1000 month maintenance bill. If you are buying expect to spend $10K after you purchase to get the plane up and going.

That club sounds expensive. Your best bet is to get your PPL from the rental company/flight school, then set out to purchase a plane in a partnership with 1-2 other pilots.

Is it hopeless for me to hope to pay my own gas, pay about $21/hour for maintenance, and up-front pay my cost of the airplane? Or, do I need to keep looking?

No this is not unreasonable, if you are each putting 75-100 hrs per year on the plane that should cover your maintenance/overhaul expenses. Assuming you are flying a basic, fixed gear plane like a 172.

You only forgot monthly hangar expenses (vary widely due to location) and insurance. I don't know exactly how much a low time PPL is to insure on a 172 or the like, but I don't think it's terribly expensive. Maybe $1000/yr?

That club sounds expensive. Your best bet is to get your PPL from the rental company/flight school, then set out to purchase a plane in a partnership with 1-2 other pilots.

Why pay a flight school the money as opposed to a starting in a partnership? You're out $5K+ either way you go, may as well use the money towards your own aircraft rather than the flight schools if you really know it's what you'll end up with. For that matter, buying a cheap 172 outright to get the PPC may work out better and just sell it afterwards if you want to upgrade. He's likely out the same amount of money by the time he gets his ticket anyway, even when financed.

Just buy a 150 or a AA1 or something, it's the price of a baseline corolla, holds it's value and less BS, find a big communal hangar and you probably can make the numbers work better.

Fixed costs for a flying club are pretty expensive. Once you have more than 5 pilots, the insurance costs skyrocket. You and a single partner can insure a 172 for probably $900/yr, depending on hull value. That same plane will cost $3500 per year to insure in a flying club. Hangar rent can be pricey. $21/hr for maintenance might be on the low side, depending on who is doing your work, etc.

Honestly, I think you're making some rosey assumptions about costs of ownership. It's easy to do, and until you actually get into it, get your hands dirty, and see the bills, it's hard to grasp how much it really costs to own and operate an airplane, even a "Cheap" one.

The fixed monthly costs include insurance and hangar which you didn't account for in your example. Also if you are talking to these clubs, you should feel free to ask them what the hourly cost is going towards. It's not terrible if the extra 20 or 30 bucks is going to the maintenance reserve. Or, maybe they are saving for an avionics upgrade. You've got to ask them to find out.

The number that is tripping you up is the 21$/hour. Most critiques revolve around that number because it's off by about 100%.

As a sole owner of very low time 180hp Maule (think 172) for 10 years, actual non-fuel costs consistently ran roughly equal to hourly fuel costs. That was flying 125 hours/year with zero hangar costs. And it depreciated to 60% of its purchase price, no overhauls.

You can run the numbers and come up with 21$ but consider that a very high risk number.

Keep at it... Sounds like you want to fly so you will find a way!

Fixed costs for a flying club are pretty expensive. Once you have more than 5 pilots, the insurance costs skyrocket. You and a single partner can insure a 172 for probably $900/yr, depending on hull value. That same plane will cost $3500 per year to insure in a flying club. Hangar rent can be pricey. $21/hr for maintenance might be on the low side, depending on who is doing your work, etc.

Honestly, I think you're making some rosey assumptions about costs of ownership. It's easy to do, and until you actually get into it, get your hands dirty, and see the bills, it's hard to grasp how much it really costs to own and operate an airplane, even a "Cheap" one.

I own a A185F amphib, second plane. Ownership can be super expensive if you live somewhere crappy like LA or NYC, or don't do work on your own plane.

For me, I pay 200mo for a huge hangar, mx wise it's a rather basic plane, I stsy ontop of things, change my oil more than I probably need to, use camguard, add to that I'm not ham fisted and watch my climbs, descents, engine monitor and I don't slam my plane down on the ground or taxi with my feet on the brakes or anything. Mx isn't too bad for me.

Don't play magic numbers, buy the right plane for the right price, get a super prebuy, put gas in, pay your hangar, do owner assist annuals, keep a eye on everything and take care of things as they come up.

Trying to make some imaginary hourly mx numbers is just silly.

Last edited:
With the numbers I've seen, the club thing doesn't make a lot of sense. No cheaper than renting.

I own a A185F amphib, second plane. Ownership can be super expensive if you live somewhere crappy like LA or NYC, or don't do work on your own plane.

For me, I pay 200mo for a huge hangar, mx wise it's a rather basic plane, I stsy ontop of things, change my oil more than I probably need to, use camguard, add to that I'm not ham fisted and watch my climbs, descents, engine monitor and I don't slam my plane down on the ground or taxi with my feet on the brakes or anything. Mx isn't too bad for me.

I live in the Atlanta metro area, and hangars are at least twice what you're paying, and there's still a waiting list. $200 per month will get you a tiedown.

I live in the Atlanta metro area, and hangars are at least twice what you're paying, and there's still a waiting list. $200 per month will get you a tiedown.

F' that.

Man for that price I'd be looking for someone with some land, or a private grass strip where I could keep my plane.

I wouldn't pay a dime for a outside tie down

image.jpg

You got lots of private strips just outside of ATL, I'd be looking there.

Last edited:
With the numbers I've seen, the club thing doesn't make a lot of sense. No cheaper than renting.
it's not always about cost. often times the clubs have better availability and better overnight trip rules.

I was in a club for awhile on a 182, I did the books so I can comment some. We charged $150 a month and you got roughly 1.5 hours every month in your account for your $150. After that it was $60/dry.
I'll be surprised if the club is around in 3-5 years, they were slowly going broke IMO.
Insurance, $4k a year
hangar $240/mo
annual $1200-2000
then there's always something broken, a battery, DG needed a rebuild, it all slowly chips away. They're at TBO essentially with zero engine reserves because of the slow bleed, they're hosed. Giving time away with dues was a big reason for it, they were robbing the engine fund to pay fixed costs because most members barely flew their dues.

Last edited:
Around here in the NJ/NY area you're looking at a few year waiting list for hangars and a starting price per month of around $450. Sucks.

The accountant in me is very confused. ...
Larger clubs running as nonprofit 501(c)7 corporations are required to file annual Form 990 tax returns. These are public documents, most easily obtained at guidestar.com. You will have to register but it's free and does not put you on spam lists.

You might learn quite a bit by pulling the tax returns of clubs you're interested in.

It's actually quite interesting to rummage around there since all nonprofits of any size can be researched. NRA finances? AOPA finances? Red Cross? It's all there.

Giving time away with dues was a big reason for it, they were robbing the engine fund to pay fixed costs because most members barely flew their dues.

I think this is extremely common with medium-sized clubs. The one I was involved in maintained basically no reserves, was always in a cash crunch, etc., and it was because they perpetually robbed the "maintenance reserves" to pay other fixed expenses. The dues simply weren't high enough to consistently pay fixed costs, so the hourly income was used to cover shortages. The Board was terrified of raising dues because they feared that the members who never flew, but paid every month, would leave if dues went up. Without those members, dues would have to go even higher, driving out more people, and so on. I thought much of that fear was nonsense, but once that idea got in the heads of a few people in leadership, it was impossible to shake and they fought like hell to keep dues low, despite it being (long term) fiscally stupid.

I think this is extremely common with medium-sized clubs. The one I was involved in maintained basically no reserves, was always in a cash crunch, etc., and it was because they perpetually robbed the "maintenance reserves" to pay other fixed expenses. The dues simply weren't high enough to consistently pay fixed costs, so the hourly income was used to cover shortages. The Board was terrified of raising dues because they feared that the members who never flew, but paid every month, would leave if dues went up. Without those members, dues would have to go even higher, driving out more people, and so on. I thought much of that fear was nonsense, but once that idea got in the heads of a few people in leadership, it was impossible to shake and they fought like hell to keep dues low, despite it being (long term) fiscally stupid.

Yes, exactly the same.

the real problem I think they had was they had a 76 182 that hadn't been updated at all. Now they needed paint, avionics, interior etc and if the plane had been slowly kept up to date they easily COULD charge more!

The other issue with clubs is the members, you all pay the same fees and hourly, no matter if you're a student pilot, low time PPL, or multi thousand hour ATP with hundreds of hours on type, this is a good deal for the student pilot and the low time ham fisted PPL, not so much for the people who aren't hard on planes and don't burn tires up and crack jugs, especially if the work is outsourced to a overpriced shop.

Shy of a odd ball partnership with someone you personally know, who is a equal as a pilot, better to rent or buy

Larger clubs running as nonprofit 501(c)7 corporations are required to file annual Form 990 tax returns. These are public documents, most easily obtained at guidestar.com. You will have to register but it's free and does not put you on spam lists.

You might learn quite a bit by pulling the tax returns of clubs you're interested in.

It's actually quite interesting to rummage around there since all nonprofits of any size can be researched. NRA finances? AOPA finances? Red Cross? It's all there.

Those can be interesting. Lots of ways to skim money off a nonprofit through consultant and management fees.

I noticed that there are different flavors of 'flying clubs' with impact on finances, availability and governance:
#1 true clubs with a board of directors, elections, a published budget etc.
#2 'flying clubs' that are 1-man plane rental companies that use the FAA compliance rules on flying clubs to get around local airport commercial standards.
#3 'flying clubs' that are just a pricing scheme by the local FBO to encourage loyalty and utilization. Often just a pre-paid rental charge.

If a flying club falls in category 1, you should be able to get information on finances, by reviewing the 990, a budget or financial statement. If a non-profit club is not willing to share their finances with a prospective member, it is not a club you want to be a member of.

The cheapest yet most flexible way to fly got to be a 3-way partnership in a 172 or Archer. Root around at the airport, see if there is an existing partnership with one member interested to sell. Often, the monthly cost for one of those shares is low enough that some people keep their share current although they dont really have a use for it anymore (e.g. because they have moved on to a faster plane or moved away). They may be interested to sell if someone shows up at their doorstep.
If you have the finances to buy and feed a plane for a year by yourself, consider buying the plane, set it up as partnership from the get-go and then look for suitable partners to buy into it.

A flight school (part 61 and 141) operates out of 3 airports around me, with 11 planes. Renting a Cessna 152 is $89/hr wet Hobbs with no fuel surcharge. A 172 is $126.

OK. Fairly normal these days for late-1970's era rentals, I think.

Going by their guide, since the plane equity is paid for, and the pilot pays for the gas, it looks like the hourly maintenance expenses can be said to be about $21. ($8.33 toward engine overhaul, $0.19 prop overhaul, $1.50 oil, $10 maintenance, $1 avionics.)

Wow. $10/hr for maintenance is the rosiest number I've seen in a long time. IME, expect $40-$50/hr... Maybe less if you budget for the annual to be a fixed cost.

$2,000 buyin (bought originally at $4,000, someone's reselling). $100 monthly dues. $95/hour wet tach hours. (Granted it's a 172 not a 152, but again the equity buyin should negate whatever plane it is.)

172 will burn more fuel than a 152, engine TBO is shorter (2000 vs. 2400 hours).

$1,600 buyin. $60 monthly. $95/hour wet tach hours. (Again, granted it's a 172.)

Does this club have more members than the first? Cheaper hangar/insurance?

$4,000 buyin. Fixed monthly expenses split 10 ways. (Amount not given.) $95/hr wet tach. It's a 1969 Cessna 182M.

The key variable you're missing is how many people are a part of each of these groups.

Also, you're missing that they're charging by tach time, not Hobbs. Depending on the type of operation, you'll get 1.2-1.6 hours on the Hobbs for each Tach hour (lower end for VFR cross countries, higher end for pattern work). Since you're doing a lot of pattern work in training, you should be able to log 1.4 hours for each tach hour you pay for. That reduces the $95/hr tach to $67.85/hr Hobbs. That's a significant savings.

Let me put it another way. If I started out with another pilot, and we were going to buy a $25,000 plane, it should work out for each of us to put down $12,500. Each of us would buy our own gas (top off tank after landing.) Each of us would contribute the estimated hourly cost toward maintenance, which appears to be about $21/hour. (Or if we trusted each other, when maintenance came up, we'd just pay half the bill, putting money aside on our own for it.) Assuming gas is $45/hour on it, ignoring the purchase price, we'd be paying $66/hour.

And that's just about exactly what the hourly rate would be for those clubs since they're billing by tach.

That is a best-case scenario. And you'll need to pay for hangar and insurance.

With the lowest club pricing I've found, I'd still be better off just renting from the instructing company.

You're missing the difference between Hobbs and Tach.

Also, check out the airplanes. My club has WAY nicer airplanes than the ones available for rent at our airport. We keep our GPS databases up to date, we maintain them better, etc. We also have better availability than the rentals.

How does your above example work when the starter goes out. $600 for the part. How about the exhaust tail pipe the month before for $400.

They either have a lot of members ($25/mo * 80 people would be plenty), or a cheap shade-tree mechanic or club member who does it cheap/free with parts scrounged from the junkyard. If you want to be cheap and you have maybe a retired A&P who will wrench for free and knows the right people, it can be done.

They either have a lot of members ($25/mo * 80 people would be plenty), or a cheap shade-tree mechanic or club member who does it cheap/free with parts scrounged from the junkyard. If you want to be cheap and you have maybe a retired A&P who will wrench for free and knows the right people, it can be done.

If you are talking about my club, it was founded in 1956 or so and has a ton of members that rarely fly (240 members total and good availability on 4 aircraft), no hangar other than the office and a share of a hangar for maintenance. Two "staff" A&P's. The aircraft are well maintained.

Last edited:
I think the economics are so much harder than people think. One of the problems with a true "club" is that it's somebody's labor of love. Which really means someone is working for free. If there's was tons of money to wring out of the industry I'd think we'd see it... Maybe there just isn't.

... set it up as partnership from the get-go and then look for suitable partners to buy into it.
The word "partnership" gets thrown around a lot but is actually a Very Bad Way to organize. IANL but in most cases I believe that an LLC is the preferred form. To have an actual partnership involves shared and unlimited individual liability. In an LLC, the members' liability is limited to their equity in the LLC, although when the PI slimeballs sue the corporation plus everyone individually it may cost you a bundle to successfully defend yourself.

Hopefully a non-slimeball lawyer will chime in her if any corrections or additional comments are needed.

The word "partnership" gets thrown around a lot but is actually a Very Bad Way to organize. IANL but in most cases I believe that an LLC is the preferred form. To have an actual partnership involves shared and unlimited individual liability. In an LLC, the members' liability is limited to their equity in the LLC, although when the PI slimeballs sue the corporation plus everyone individually it may cost you a bundle to successfully defend yourself.

Yes, of course it should be set up as an LLC or corp. That's why I said to set it up as such from the start rather than buying the plane in your name. In the end it is still a partnership, just one with a pre-nup.

If correctly set up and maintained (care is taken to maintain the entity clearly separate from the finances of the members and all formalities are adhered to), the LLC or corp should shield the members not flying at the time from liability arising out of an accident. This is not absolute, and if a crash for example is due to maintenance decisions made by the members, things can get sticky. There are some insurance wrinkles to insuring your plane owned by an entity and those have to be addressed through the agent. Also, depending on the state, there can be implications on personal property tax, sales and use tax and how your plane is treated by the airport.

The accountant in me is very confused.

A flight school (part 61 and 141) operates out of 3 airports around me, with 11 planes. Renting a Cessna 152 is $89/hr wet Hobbs with no fuel surcharge. A 172 is $126. PPL instruction is $45/hr. My impression is they're among the largest around, certainly not a small operation.

I'm planning on a lot of hours, so am thinking about lowering the long term cost, by putting more in up front. Hoping to not buy my own plane that sits unused periodically, I've been looking at flying clubs & fractional ownership.

I'm looking at http://www.curtiseads.com/aircraft-rental/own-vs-rent-aircraft/ in the $25,000 budget category, which gives estimates at all the hidden ownership costs. (Then compares to renting.)

I've been expecting to find that if I paid in for the equity in the plane (around the purchase price of the aircraft divided by number of members)
to either pay back the purchaser, or cover the monthly payments if financed), and if I bought my own fuel, that I'd be paying a monthly amount to cover the estimated maintenance costs. (Engine overhaul, insurance, annual inspection, prop overhaul, oil, maintenance, etc.) In a non-profit group, anyway.

But everything I am finding is was unexpected.

Why can't I find anything like this? Do the clubs only deal with planes much more expensive than $25,000?

Unless you manage it you will pay for someone to do it.

Hopefully a non-slimeball lawyer will chime in her if any corrections or additional comments are needed.

I talked to a lawyer here in AZ and his feedback was that an "LLC" is not going to help you much with regards to liability. His advice - don't bother, just buy more insurance.

Of course, YMMV and this advice is worth what you paid for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a spreadsheet floating out there that I'm trying to find. Really well configured and I've used it when I joined a club and partnered. I think I may have even looked at it for possible renting. If I find it, I'll pass it along.

Is this it?

http://ben.com/flying/costown.html

ETA, I have an excel spreadsheet that has more detail than this that I would share by PM.

And which $25K plane are you trusting your life to? I would think you would want to start at $45K and suggest a $1000 month maintenance bill. If you are buying expect to spend $10K after you purchase to get the plane up and going.

A $25K 152 is on the VERY nice end. No problem with that.

You're right that it usually takes a lot of extra maintenance the first year no matter what type of plane you buy, though.

If you are talking about my club, it was founded in 1956 or so and has a ton of members that rarely fly (240 members total and good availability on 4 aircraft), no hangar other than the office and a share of a hangar for maintenance. Two "staff" A&P's. The aircraft are well maintained.

That's the kind of club you want to be in, if you can find it! Nothing like getting others to finance your fun.

I think my uncle is/was a member of your club.

I talked to a lawyer here in AZ and his feedback was that an "LLC" is not going to help you much with regards to liability. His advice - don't bother, just buy more insurance.

Of course, YMMV and this advice is worth what you paid for it.

Depends on what you asked him.

For an Individual, there is no reason to form an LLC to own a personal plane, in most instances.

For multiple owners, your attorney is probably not worth hiring again, if that was his advice.

$25k for a 152 will get you a nice 152, yes.
$25k will get you a really old, or really crappy, or likely both 172.
I would not fly in a $25k 182.

So, recalibrate your equity assumptions.

$25k for a 152 will get you a nice 152, yes.
$25k will get you a really old, or really crappy, or likely both 172.
I would not fly in a $25k 182.

So, recalibrate your equity assumptions.

The older the 172 the better for the most part.

Back