Confessions of a Cherokee Pilot

Mach Diamond

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mach Diamond
I did something really stupid Monday morning in my Piper Cherokee. I got up at 5 to practice some full stop landings to get my night currency back. Mistake 1, don’t go flying when you’re most likely to be tired. I was rushed because I had to get my take off and full stop landings in an hour before sunrise (mistake number 2). I also decided to top off the tanks in the dark (mistake number 3) and let myself get distracted while filling the tanks (mistake 4).

I got my night currency out of the way and headed north on an XC to enjoy the beautiful sunrise. It was just getting light enough to turn my headlamp off when I looked at the left wing and noticed a large hole where the fuel cap was supposed to be. WHAT AN IDIOT! I immediately turned around, switched to the right tank and flew back to home field. I retraced my first taxi from the fuel pump to Runway 5 but it was still too dark and my landing light beam didn’t find a fuel cap. Maybe somebody has a new lawn ornament? Once the airport manager arrived at 7 AM I asked if I could retrace my path on foot. He offered the golfcart and I found my fuel cap right where I applied full takeoff power. According to the manager that is one of the most common spots they find fuel caps, that and the first turn onto the taxiway after pulling away from the fuel pump.

From what I can tell, no fuel was siphoned out the left tank during flight. The time I had spent on the left tank matched my excepted fuel consumption. However, the left side was only filled up to the tabs. I know fuel would have siphoned out if I had filled up the tank all the way.

From now on I think I’ll do my night currency after sunset and not before sunrise. I also plan to add “check fuel caps” to the pre-takeoff checklist. That should jog my mind to point my headlamp at them even at night. I’m just thankful my left tank didn’t run dry (people have run dry because of this mistake) and that I found my fuel cap before somebody else used the runway. Hopefully you can all learn from my mistake. Stay safe and keep an eye out for fuel caps on short final.

Before boarding my plane, I start at the back left side near the elevator and do a walk around to the front, then down the right side, ending at the elevator and then boarding. Check everything that moves: doors, latches, caps, belts, etc.

Before boarding my plane, I start at the back left side near the elevator and do a walk around to the front, then down the right side, ending at the elevator and then boarding. Check everything that moves: doors, latches, caps, belts, etc.
Same only I start just behind the pilot side door (172) working my way back toward the tail and around, left wing, left tank, prop (cowling covers), right tank, right wing, pitot cover (yup, I've missed that one before and had to shut down, climb out to get it, then start back up. Feels stupid, but better then than having no airspeed...) and that brings me right back to the door to hop in and go (unless that is, I missed the chocks, in which case we aren't going anywhere.)

Ouch! Getting night current isn't easy. I tend to do mine in the evening after work, but again I'm tired.

I was getting checked out on a Cherokee 180 and we landed at a neighboring airport to fuel up (our fuel farm was out of service temporarily). Not sure what I got distracted by, but apparently I did because I left the left-side cap laying on top of the wing. We were having a hard time starting her, and at one point, I looked over to my left when I said CLEAR (prior to starting) and noticed it. I asked the instructor to step out for a second while I take care of a problem. I changed my ways after that day. I use to gingerly just glance at the plane before getting in after a fuel stop or whatever else before getting in. Now, I look for 3 tires (inflated), 2 fuel caps in place, nothing on the nose wheel (grounding cable, chocks, towbar) and then get in. I'm working on closing on the purchase of a plane, a Cherokee Six... so that will change slightly to looking for '4' fuel caps in place.

When I set take off flaps, the aileron aligns with the flap, so as I check, it's look left, with ailerons full right, and say "caps and flaps", repeat for right side. You could modify this and do something similar during controls free and correct. I also never leave a cap uncapped, if I walk away, cap is installed and tight, even if I know I need to come back and open it again. Unrelated, but still important to me, cargo door always has the key in it (with the ignition key) while it is open. That key does not leave that door until it is closed and confirmed shut.

Last edited:
And get fuel cap chains fitted
It would likely be more cost-effective to carry a spare cap, as opposed to fixing the damage to the wing caused by a cap hammering in the slipstream.

"Most common" tell you you're not the first and certainly won't be the last.

I painted mine red. I do the aileron check after setting up the iPad, Stratus, and headphones. If the fuel caps aren’t there I would notice.

I once left my keys on top of the wing of a 152. I did not realize that until after landing. As I was moaning on my stupidity, and old timer sitting on the porch of the restaurant watching the world go by told me to look where I rotated. And that is where I found my keys.

I left a fuelhawk dipstick on my cowling once and saw it go whizzing by as i applied takeoff power on the runway. Fortunately it was a little used airport so i was able abort the takeoff and taxi back and go walking down the runway and found it after 5 minutes. My fuel caps have chains on them, but i do always double check after fueling up to make sure they are on. On a Cessna once you are in the air, obviously you cant tell if they are on or off and perhaps it is just me, but based on how many times i leave the home and wonder if i have left the garage door open, i have taken off and thought to myself....did i secure that fuel cap? So far so good.

It is a good idea to always walk around the airplane one more time before you get in. It takes seconds, and lots of things can happen between the time you do your full pre-flight and loading.

I left a fuelhawk dipstick on my cowling once and saw it go whizzing by as i applied takeoff power on the runway. Fortunately it was a little used airport so i was able abort the takeoff and taxi back and go walking down the runway and found it after 5 minutes. My fuel caps have chains on them, but i do always double check after fueling up to make sure they are on. On a Cessna once you are in the air, obviously you cant tell if they are on or off and perhaps it is just me, but based on how many times i leave the home and wonder if i have left the garage door open, i have taken off and thought to myself....did i secure that fuel cap? So far so good.

I once had a bunch of self-doubt about the caps after starting up a 172. Shut down and verified. Much better than blasting off carrying that doubt into the sky.

Did mine tonight.

Attachments

• 361B46D3-95B6-4801-8CF5-7FC3BD384CB0.jpeg
    361B46D3-95B6-4801-8CF5-7FC3BD384CB0.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 23
Back