Conditioned listening?

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Had an interesting (to me, at least) observation yesterday. I missed a call from tower for turn out to taxiway after landing, as they called me "Cherokee 03Q" rather than "Dakota 03Q" (I was "Dakota" from initial call-up thru runway change and "cleared to land"). On the second call (yeah, he was a little insistent, and I responded with "DaaaahhhhKOOOOOta 03Q" to try to explain why I missed the first call).

What I thought was interesting was my brain queuing on the first word of "Cherokee" and ignoring the rest of the call, or "Dakota" and listening up...

Had an interesting (to me, at least) observation yesterday. I missed a call from tower for turn out to taxiway after landing, as they called me "Cherokee 03Q" rather than "Dakota 03Q" (I was "Dakota" from initial call-up thru runway change and "cleared to land"). On the second call (yeah, he was a little insistent, and I responded with "DaaaahhhhKOOOOOta 03Q" to try to explain why I missed the first call).

What I thought was interesting was my brain queuing on the first word of "Cherokee" and ignoring the rest of the call, or "Dakota" and listening up...

I get something like that fairly often. Usually in the Baron it's "Bonanza 25Q" but I've been called worse things (like Cessna and Piper but IIRC never Cherokee or Dakota). In the Porterfield the controllers at my home base used to mess it up every time but they seem to have gotten used to the name lately. I think part of it is a result of the controllers grouping certain types into a "similar" category in their minds.

I get something like that fairly often. Usually in the Baron it's "Bonanza 25Q" but I've been called worse things (like Cessna and Piper but IIRC never Cherokee or Dakota). In the Porterfield the controllers at my home base used to mess it up every time but they seem to have gotten used to the name lately. I think part of it is a result of the controllers grouping certain types into a "similar" category in their minds.

Or multiple versions having the same type ID. I've been called Saratoga, which is a PA-32 on the display, when I'm only a lowly Cherokee 6. Same for the Dakota, its just a PA-28 with more horsepower, but the horsepower doesn't show up on the controller's display.

The locals are pretty good about calling me a Dakota after a couple years of flying around FTG. One day a local called me out as a Dodge Dakota to incoming traffic.

Out in the system I get called just about everything that has pistons and propellers. Usually it's some Piper variant if they're calling model. The most common is simply November. I just listen for the numbers and don't seem to miss many calls (and only answer a few that weren't for me :wink2: ).

The locals are pretty good about calling me a Dakota after a couple years of flying around FTG. One day a local called me out as a Dodge Dakota to incoming traffic.

Out in the system I get called just about everything that has pistons and propellers. Usually it's some Piper variant if they're calling model. The most common is simply November. I just listen for the numbers and don't seem to miss many calls (and only answer a few that weren't for me :wink2: ).

LOL - sure he didn't say "Dodge the Dakota on final?" :)

The guys in the tower at OLM know the based aircraft pretty well
It doesn't matter if I ID the 182 as "Cessna 52349" or "Skylane 52349" when I call for taxi clearance, they almost always reply calling it "Skylane 52349". As long as I hear the correct numbers, I'm happy.

As long as I hear the correct numbers, I'm happy.
Me too. Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how specific people like to get when identifying their type of airplane. In the Cessna line, to me, everything through the 206 was a "Cessna". I seem to remember calling the 210 a "Centurion" though.

Me too. Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how specific people like to get when identifying their type of airplane. In the Cessna line, to me, everything through the 206 was a "Cessna". I seem to remember calling the 210 a "Centurion" though.

And anything with two engines is just another twin Cessna...right?

And anything with two engines is just another twin Cessna...right?
Hmmm.... I think I have yet to have a controller call it a "Twin Cessna". They have tried almost everything else, though.

Coming in to Oshkosh they kept calling our Tomahawk a Skipper. I know they look very similar, but there were only about 250 Skippers ever built (and I've only ever seen ONE) whereas Piper built 2500 Tomahawks and there are supposedly about 1400 of 'em still flying.

On a single flight, I've been Comanche, Twin Comanche, Aztec, and Cherokee.

just to F#$$ with ATC Ive always wanted to say commuter 82U instead of Cessna 82U.....its a 150..they wouldn't get it

On a single flight, I've been Comanche, Twin Comanche, Aztec, and Cherokee.

On a single practice ILS in a 172 I was called a Cessna, Skyhawk, Skylane and Citation. How they got Citation and Skyhawk on the same plane is beyond me, but I wasn't about to complain about the sudden upgrade.

On a single practice ILS in a 172 I was called a Cessna, Skyhawk, Skylane and Citation. How they got Citation and Skyhawk on the same plane is beyond me, but I wasn't about to complain about the sudden upgrade.

That's great unless they expect you to be able to accelerate as fast as that Citation...

You must have been going REALLY slow on final if they thought you were a Citation :D.

I can tell you, I have this problem a lot. I get so used to hearing my company name, followed by our call sign that even if they get the numbers right but the name wrong, I probably won't hear it. It really doesn't help, either, that our callsign changes every leg. By the sixth leg of a day I'm screwed if I don't have it written down in plain sight.

It was really fun the first time I flew a GA plane after almost 3 years out of it. It was hard enough to stop listening for my company's name, but then I was so used to saying Diamond 654MS that it took three tries as 4MS before I clued in that he was talking to me.

I fly N98189.. and the controllers mess it up so much I try not to answer anything that does not end in 189.. I've been called 98119, 91889, 9889...

When they call a second time.. then I answer up.. Cessna Niner-Eight-One-Eight-Niner.. was that last call for me?... normally by then.. they say "1-8-9r affirmative"..
Roger.. 1-8-9...

then they get tongue twisted again at the next call..

Oh man this happens alot!!!

I always start with Skyhawk..... but on the field are three planes ending with:

23E, 24E, and mine is 26E

Gets interesting when we are all in the approach and/or pattern and listening through the dim and static on the frequency!

Back