Concorde RG-35AXC Battery Terminals

RonP

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RvP
My 1969 Cherokee 140B currently has a Gil battery that is about 9 years old and really slow to crank. I want to replace it with a a Concorde RG-35AXC. The Gil has wing nut connections to the battery. From pictures of the RG-35AXC it looks like round terminals. Do the battery wires have to be replaced in order to replace the Gil with the Concorde?

Not the cable. Maybe the terminals but I can’t tell without pictures. I hope it’s not the old aluminum cables.

Last edited:
Just for everyone, by the time the battery is having issues with cranking, it is well past needing replacement. Even more important if you fly IFR as the battery is very low on capacity.

If you need to change the terminals, you can get cheap hydraulic crimpers on Amazon that work amazingly well.

I'm pretty sure the terminals are not plain round (like a car), they have bolts that screw in to the round base, should connect to ring terminals on your cables.
You may need the battery adapter plates, by Bogert Aviation, they are offset risers that help get the connecting point up out of the way of the battery box. Bogert also makes lots of upgrade/accessories for battery boxes and cables, in case you need to replace old stuff.

Do the battery wires have to be replaced in order to replace the Gil with the Concorde?
I never had to unless the cable was unserviceable. Wing nut vs standard nut use shouldnt apply to the cable.
I want to replace it with a a Concorde RG-35AXC.
FYI: while your older battery may be at fault, best to confirm the starting circuit meets spec, i.e., no voltage drops, clean connections, etc. Sometimes a circuit fault will cause the battery life to diminish and you dont want that system fault to reduce your new battery's life.

Does that 140 have a 25 or 35 amp-hour battery? Don't often see 35 amp-hour batteries on little 150-hp airplanes. The 35AXC is bigger than a 25. Check Concorde's application charts.

My 1969 Cherokee 140B currently has a Gil battery that is about 9 years old and really slow to crank. I want to replace it with a a Concorde RG-35AXC. The Gil has wing nut connections to the battery. From pictures of the RG-35AXC it looks like round terminals. Do the battery wires have to be replaced in order to replace the Gil with the Concorde?
Double check to be sure the battery terminals don't have threaded holes in the top, into which a bolt is tightened to hold down the cable ends. Same concept as having a stud with a wingnut, only instead it uses a bolt that gets tightened down.

I also have a 140b. When I was having issues with starting, I did the Concorde RG-35AXC, and also cleaned every cable end. Also put this kit in, which made more difference than anything else:

Bogert Battery Box Mod

Double check to be sure the battery terminals don't have threaded holes in the top, into which a bolt is tightened to hold down the cable ends. Same concept as having a stud with a wingnut, only instead it uses a bolt that gets tightened down.
The Concord has exactly this type of terminals. There is a specified torque setting on the battery.

Back