Concealed Carry

Another perfect example of an absolutely retarded gun law. This restriction literally does not make any sense at all.

Until that solution was reached, you couldn't enter any business with a on-sale liquor license. That included places like Applebees, Red Robin etc.

The underlying idea of that and the 51% rule in TX is that the legislators don't want people in a bar-fight to be armed.

It would make more sense to leave it at 'can't consume alcohol while carrying'.

Last edited:

Still stupid. That one takes care of itself.

A) You'd be a horrible shot.

B) Any jury will hang you high.*

* Gang bangers get a hall pass and will be out of jail in a week. Two if the paperwork takes a while.

Still stupid. That one takes care of itself.

A) You'd be a horrible shot.

B) Any jury will hang you high.*

* Gang bangers get a hall pass and will be out of jail in a week. Two if the paperwork takes a while.

Alcohol is considered a performance enhancing drug in competitive shooting as it reduces essential tremor. I know I used to be better after a beer and worse after a cup of coffee.

Alcohol is considered a performance enhancing drug in competitive shooting as it reduces essential tremor. I know I used to be better after a beer and worse after a cup of coffee.

I used to belong to a 125-year old Schutzen club, which only shot the German Schutzen-style of shooting - off hand, no shooting jacket or other support with . 22 single shot rifles, either at 50 feet indoors or 200 yards outdoors. You can see the crosshairs move with every heartbeat, so you shoot in between heartbeats.

The old timers were known to take a shot or two of Schnapps to slow down their heart rate to make it easier to get off that shot. :)

Virginia you may not concealed carry into a place that serves liquor AND consume alcohol. You may however do so while open carrying.

NC you can't carry weapons into a class of places that includes those that serve alcohol unless you have a concealed permit. You may not however drink in such places or be under the influence of alcohol while concealed carrying.

Practicing your quick draw in the airport? What? I've never heard of such a thing.

Are they sure he didn't unholster in the bathroom stall or something and ended up with a ND?

Not enough info.

Practicing your quick draw in the airport? What? I've never heard of such a thing.

Are they sure he didn't unholster in the bathroom stall or something and ended up with a ND?

Not enough info.

Agreed - not enough info. Sounds like something else was occurring as I have never heard of a holster where the muzzle would be aimed up upon draw so that a round would send a slug into the ceiling tile. There's more to this story... unless he was so grossly incompetent that drawing from a holster meant presenting the firearm with the muzzle at an upward angle.

Not going to get the truth of that one from behind the blue line. Cute cover story though.

Until that solution was reached, you couldn't enter any business with a on-sale liquor license. That included places like Applebees, Red Robin etc.

The underlying idea of that and the 51% rule in TX is that the legislators don't want people in a bar-fight to be armed.

And yet, you can be sitting at the bar in a restaurant, armed. Because the establishment as a whole falls under the 51% threshold.

Not going to get the truth of that one from behind the blue line. Cute cover story though.

Every opportunity to bust on the cops. You're getting a little tiresome with this sh$t. The story says the cops admits he was practicing his draw and had a ND. WTF are the cops hiding then, huh?? That he removed his gun to take a dump and fired it in the stall?? If they had written that, you'd be calling BS on THAT? Get off it would you!!

Regardless of his opinion on police, the story makes no sense at all.

Additionally, the "story" is very vague, it's not a stretch to imagine some cover-up is going on.

What exactly are they covering up??

My question is how, on a quick draw do you end up shooting into the ceiling? Floor? Sure. Wall? Sure. Plinked one into the toilet? Sure. But the ceiling? Was he practicing his quick draw while standing on his head?

Every opportunity to bust on the cops. You're getting a little tiresome with this sh$t. The story says the cops admits he was practicing his draw and had a ND. WTF are the cops hiding then, huh?? That he removed his gun to take a dump and fired it in the stall?? If they had written that, you'd be calling BS on THAT? Get off it would you!!

You may want to look back at my posts and see if you're all pizzy about the wrong person. Nice rant though.

I'm not anti-cop. Have a number of very good friends who are cops and I was a Sheriff's dispatcher long ago.

But I'm also not stupid, and know better than to buy every story that makes it through the blue line and the PR professionals. Been around that game for a long long time.

Not only that, I think anyone "practicing quick draw" in an airport bathroom, needs to be banned for a period of time from wielding deadly force, until they have a much greater respect for their firearm. Should have been suspended without pay, too.

If it was anyone who wasn't a cop they'd be charged with reckless endangerment, and it would stick. They'd be thousands of dollars poorer just paying the lawyer to stand there and let the Judge give them probation and if charged with a felony, they wouldn't be carrying that firearm ever again.

That's why I know the story is bogus. Quick draw my ass. And if it is true, he should have been charged with the same crime anyone else would have been. He had no reason to be unholstered or practicing a damn thing in an airport bathroom. Idiot kid.

Your version is likely what happened, and the PR person probably didn't want it to turn into a running joke. Didn't want the kid labeled "the popper shooter" in the Press. Or worse.

But anyway. I'm not anti-cop at all, and have talked with a number of cop friends this year who are concerned about the cop-killer attitudes amongst various racist organizations.

We've talked this year on the phone of a many a time when I warned them that just "being a good cop and ignoring the bad ones" was going to come back and bite everyone on the job in the ass, and it is now.

It only takes a handful. Two decades of allowing the handful to do bad things and pretend IA or the union would take care of it, and some departments can't fix their cultural problems now. Not all. Some.

They seem much more interested in cleaning up the ranks from inside these days. Which is good. They admit it's hard to justify to even the most supportive friends and family, things like the ABQ vagrant shooting with an AR, or the $2.3M DPD has paid out to families affected by a single hot head officer who's still on the road and not hidden away somewhere behind a desk because the union protects him.

The Sheriff I worked for was too small to have much of that stuff, but we all knew who'd be in trouble before anyone else would. No union at that place to save them, either. The Sheriff had the ability to hire and fire at will, which was much much smarter than large city departments. And he had to answer to his actions directly to the voters.

Which IMHO is a much safer scenario for those served than cities where the Chief is protected by a Mayor and a completely political staff.

Law enforcement is too important not to have a direct line to fire the upper management at the ballot box. Just a personal opinion.

I'm also a strong proponent of making LE a professional job with significant degrees and training required and much MUCH higher salaries. That also comes along with removing the liability veil of government to make it work.

LE is in charge of lives. Paying a five year degreed LE with the equivalent of a Masters degree a fat paycheck and letting them buy liability / malpractice insurance on the open market like a Doc, seems a very good way to weed out the high school football player who couldn't spell their own name types who want to fight with bad guys every chance they get and enjoy legal protection, paid for by the served, from personal consequences.

But anti-cop? Nope. You've mistaken me for someone else. I love my Sheriff and his staff, and think his addition of a local Posse to assist in keeping costs down, is great. He's got some other areas where cost cutting should have been done, and he's heard from me about them. I understand his position and he mine. It's not enough of a problem not to re-elect him. In fact, the county just voted to lift the term limits on him placed by the State many years ago with the ability for counties to vote otherwise if they chose to do so.

How's that for a silly law? State votes to enact term limits on county voted seats and of course has to leave wording in there that any county may vote the term limit away because county term limits aren't and never were, a state function.

LOL. Dip****s at the State House wasting everyone's time and money.

I'm not anticop, I'm anti stupid people no matter what they're occupation. It's just that you'd think that cops or firearms instructors should know better as they were supposedly specifically trained unlike the average schmo. Yet in the past two weeks we had one cop shoot the ceiling and one firearms instructor shoot himself while drawing a weapon.

anyone have a link of folks with CCW permits violations. I'm curious what gets either ticketed or convicted.

Around here, you're unlikely to attract any CCW violations unless you do something else stupid. Once your gun stops being concealed and you're involved in a brandishing or assault situation or you otherwise get the attention of the police, they start looking at whether you're legally carrying a gun (concealled or otherwise) and look for technical violations of the firearms law either to charge you with or to tack on to the other stuff they're charging you with.

Actually the most common ones seem to be carrying a weapon when you are otherwise prohibited from doing so (felons mostly). Carrying concealed when you have no CHP. Carrying other than a PISTOL concealed (there are a whole class of weapons here: long knives, brass knuckles, blackjacks, various martial arts things, that are not allowed to be carried concealed even if you have a CHP). Carrying with CHP in prohibited places (typically alcohol places).

Last edited:
I was thinking more along the lines of restrictions violations on the ccw. My bil who is a ret Howard co Leo claims they would pin anything on you even with a valid permit. The local Leo's around Fdk are more leinent and encourage con concealed carry.

Last edited:
Around here, you're unlikely to attract any CCW violations unless you do something else stupid. Once your gun stops being concealed and you're involved in a brandishing or assault situation or you otherwise get the attention of the police, they start looking at whether you're legally carrying a gun (concealled or otherwise) and look for technical violations of the firearms law either to charge you with or to tack on to the other stuff they're charging you with.

Actually the most common ones seem to be carrying a weapon when you are otherwise prohibited from doing so (felons mostly). Carrying concealed when you have no CHP. Carrying other than a PISTOL concealed (there are a whole class of weapons here: long knives, brass knuckles, blackjacks, various martial arts things, that are not allowed to be carried concealed even if you have a CHP). Carrying with CHP in prohibited places (typically alcohol places).

Possibly, but open carry is legal in Michigan so if it gets exposed it ain't no big deal. OTOH, if you take it out of the holster you may have a problem.

Possibly, but open carry is legal in Michigan so if it gets exposed it ain't no big deal. OTOH, if you take it out of the holster you may have a problem.

Not here. We went through all the legal aspects of this with one of the top weapons lawyers in the state when I got my CCW. Pulling it out of the holster is not brandishing. We had about 5-6 hours of legal stuff we went over in our class.

Open carry is legal (and less restricted) here too, but I was referring to removing it from the holster, not just exposing it visually.

Not here. We went through all the legal aspects of this with one of the top weapons lawyers in the state when I got my CCW. Pulling it out of the holster is not brandishing. We had about 5-6 hours of legal stuff we went over in our class.

Depends on the circumstances. Taking it from the holster to show your buddy the exquisite engraving on your barbeque gun is not brandishing. Taking it out while engaged in a verbal dispute with a parking lot attendant may well get you a brandishing charge.

Depends on the circumstances. Taking it from the holster to show your buddy the exquisite engraving on your barbeque gun is not brandishing. Taking it out while engaged in a verbal dispute with a parking lot attendant may well get you a brandishing charge.

Very true. Also, some brandishing is justified and charges won't be brought. Getting mugged, and you pull it but don't point, you're OK.

Very true. Also, some brandishing is justified and charges won't be brought. Getting mugged, and you pull it but don't point, you're OK.

You've lost me there. If you're not legal to carry (concealed if it was initially), you're still in trouble. I've seen people charged with weapons violations while using them in self defense. Just what the hell are you doing with the gun if you draw it in this situation? Either you shoot the guy or you threaten him with it (which certainly will fit either assault or brandishing definitions in most states). You don't have to waive the gun around or point it at the victim to be guilty of brandishing in this state. All you need to is display it as a threat.

Where this is written into law, you would be immune from a brandishing or assault charge in any situation where you would have been justified to use deadly force. Thats a high threshold, and that was set up that way intentionally.

You've lost me there. If you're not legal to carry (concealed if it was initially), you're still in trouble. I've seen people charged with weapons violations while using them in self defense. Just what the hell are you doing with the gun if you draw it in this situation? Either you shoot the guy or you threaten him with it (which certainly will fit either assault or brandishing definitions in most states). You don't have to waive the gun around or point it at the victim to be guilty of brandishing in this state. All you need to is display it as a threat.

I am legal to carry concealed. I'm also legal to carry open. I also don't live in Virginia - I live in Michigan, as does Norm, which is why I addressed Norm, and was talking about Michigan's interpretation of brandishing, not Virginia's.

Where this is written into law, you would be immune from a brandishing or assault charge in any situation where you would have been justified to use deadly force. Thats a high threshold, and that was set up that way intentionally.

That is indeed the case. Guy pulls a knife and says "give me your wallet." I reach for my "wallet" and display that I am carrying, or even pull it, I'm good.

Argument with a dumbass driving a minivan that plowed into me and I do the same as above when they start running at the mouth, I'm in trouble.

Back