Computer Suggestions Needed

Captain

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
First Officer
I'm looking to buy a lap top for my boy. He's turning 12 but don't let his age guide you too much. He's really into computers and has accounts with codecademy.com, scratch.mit.edu and the like. He's presently learning python, is in all advanced classes at school, takes band and orchestra and has straight A's. He's also aced every FCAT he's ever taken. For the past two years his stated goal is to attend MIT.

Okay, enough proud dad chest thumping. With that in mind I'm looking for a lap top that will suit his needs. I'm not opposed to spending some money on it but I'd like to keep it out of 4 digit territory.

My wife has found what I consider to be crap from BestBuy for around $350. I told her I'd look into it and so far this post is my best idea. So, if you think you know 'just the thing' please share.

Many thanks in advance,

The applications that require heavy duty power are video editing and gaming. If he's doing coding, Word, PowerPoint, etc. then you don't need all that much.

Intel's current processor is the Core I7, you should be able to find something with that processor, 8 GB of RAM, and a somewhat better graphics processor for $650 - $750.

If you go looking for these you'll find the expensive ones are focused towards gamers, not workers.

Your son sounds a lot like mine. And my son wouldn't let me even think about picking out his laptop. He knows what he needs better than I do.

Your son sounds a lot like mine. And my son wouldn't let me even think about picking out his laptop. He knows what he needs better than I do.

Yeah, but he probably thinks he needs a Mac, which will shoot the price up into that 4 digit range quickly.

I'd get him something with an i7, 8-16GB of memory, maybe a decent size SSD in it. Buy him a copy of vmware workstaation, and let him have some fun

I'd probably tend toward something from ASUS or similar rather than walking into a big box store.

And since he's real tech savvy, perhaps dual boot Windows and some flavor of Linux.

Choosing a son's laptop is a bit like choosing one's wife's purse.

If it was a desktop, I'd suggest heading to Fry's (or other supplier) and buying all the components to build his own system.

I did that in March and for a similar cost to something from Dell, I have a tad more power, ram, functionality, and none of the bloatware.

Can one do the same for a laptop solution (build your own)?

Set a budget and let him pick it out himself. I remember when I was that age I wanted a laptop SO bad. I was really getting into Linux, was running a not-so-legit hosting company, and the thought of a laptop was pretty amazing.

Eventually someone finally did give me an old laptop that could mostly do what I wanted. Now I finally could continue to play with technology when I'd go to my dad's house. The first time I took it to his house he spilt a beer on it and totally ruined it. I forgave him, eventually, but it took years :)

I totally forgot about that memory until Airventure this year. My dad accidentally crushed a $350 pair of prescription sunglasses. The old feelings came back quickly. I haven't forgiven him for that yet, maybe another year.

Agreed. If he's that sophisticated in things geeky, he probably knows best what he needs.

Rich
And even if he picks the wrong thing, he will surely learn from that mistake.

But I'm sure glad my parents didn't have that philosophy or I would probably have died from from and STD when I was 13.

One of the best Windows laptops around, and it's a high performance machine, is the HP Envy series.

I got an Envy 17 a couple years ago and it's a powerhouse with i7 quad core processor, 8GB memory, excellent graphics, good enough for gaming and came originally with a 750GB 7200rpm drive but I've since replaced that with a 256GB SSD for the system drive plus a cheap 1TB 5400rpm drive for mass onboard storage. With the SSD as the system drive, it boots Windows 7 in about 11 seconds after power-up.

With a 17" screen, it's pretty big and heavy for a laptop though. The case is very thin, and made of real aluminum, looks a lot like a MacBook Pro clone. Very stylish.

They make a 15" Envy too, which might be a better size for a kid. The 17 can hold two hard drives, the 15 holds only a single hard drive.

Right now they're on sale on HP's website starting around $700-ish and up, depending on options.

Set a budget,let him do the research,discuss the reasoning with him. Pay the bill.

Agree that his input is needed... if for nothing else than form-factor. 12"?, 14"? 15.6? 17?
You'll want an i7 (or equiv), with separate video card with it's own memory. A SSD would be nice, but raises the price and lowers the capacity by a bunch.

FWIW, I've had dozens of laptops over the years, and currently very happy with an ASUS.

Can one do the same for a laptop solution (build your own)?

I looked into this before I started to build my desktop, and it's not that easy. You will never have the same flexibility you have with the desktop systems with respect to getting diverse components to fit neatly into a generic case. Basically you can buy a barebone laptop and customize it to a degree, but it's probably not worth the effort.

Unless the OP is absolutely married to the idea of a laptop, I think building a desktop system is a great idea. Design the system together and then build it together - it is not difficult at all. A great place to start is
www.pcpartpicker.com.

I feel like an old man now. In 1970 when I was 12 I had a paper route in the mornings. In the evenings after school I was taking care of horses and cows. I was saving up money to buy a truck when I turned 16 so I could get a better paycheck hauling hay. Then have enough money on Friday night to take Bertha Lou out to the Dog'n'Burger for dinner and then to the drive in movie. All for the very slight chance of commiting the reproductive act in the back of said truck.

....had to walk 16 miles aday uphill both ways in a foot of snow all summer..... wait, I think I see some kids about to walk on my grass..... :rolleyes2::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Following this thread because I need to get a good laptop for my wife.

Hi, I'm back and I want to share what I know in purchasing a laptop one will be needing. Actually, there are a lot of laptops to choose from but I think we must secure which has a better quality even if it does not belong to a popular brand. This is very much applicable if the requirements is in connection with editing or gaming. I think, budget will be considered also. Our family has been using Dell, Acer and Sony Vaio. They are all good for me, just find the best specifications that suits your need.

I looked into this before I started to build my desktop, and it's not that easy. You will never have the same flexibility you have with the desktop systems with respect to getting diverse components to fit neatly into a generic case. Basically you can buy a barebone laptop and customize it to a degree, but it's probably not worth the effort.

Unless the OP is absolutely married to the idea of a laptop, I think building a desktop system is a great idea. Design the system together and then build it together - it is not difficult at all. A great place to start is
www.pcpartpicker.com.

No, actually because of this thread I am now seriously considering building a tower with my boy. It sounds super fun and would give him the insight of the hardware that actually makes a computer tick.

I have an electronics background and can solder, assemble, deal with specs, ect. Seriously...I built a calculator on paper using AND, NAND, OR and NOR gates to add two binary digits. I spent 6 years chasing 'trons' through schematics and trouble shot down to the component and then replaced the bad resistor, transistor, capacitor, DIP, flat pack, whatever.

Sure, I haven't done it in a decade or so...but it really sounds like fun. How hard can it be? :)

For a first time building I'm thinking a kit would be better. Anybody have recommendations? I want power and cool and a super time building with my son.

Last edited:
For a laptop today, the best choice would be a MS Surface Pro.

No soldering needed. Use the aforementioned pcpartpicker website, spend ample time on Newegg and Tigerdirect, and go to town. I always build my own these days and I enjoy doing it.

No, actually because of this thread I am now seriously considering building a tower with my boy. It sounds super fun and would give him the insight of the hardware that actually makes a computer tick.

I have an electronics background and can solder, assemble, deal with specs, ect. Seriously...I built a calculator on paper using AND, NAND, OR and NOR gates to add two binary digits. I spent 6 years chasing 'trons' through schematics and trouble shot down to the component and then replaced the bad resistor, transistor, capacitor, DIP, flat pack, whatever.

Sure, I haven't done it in a decade or so...but it really sounds like fun. How hard can it be? :)

For a first time building I'm thinking a kit would be better. Anybody have recommendations? I want power and cool and a super time building with my son.

If he's interested in programming, get him a Mac. Macs are UNIX based, which are what most computer science college programs focus on now. Getting him early experience into the UNIX environment will give him a head start.

I don't say this because I'm a Big Mac fan, I don't even own one. But I am a computer science graduate, and I think a Mac will help him the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would agree on the Mac. I have owned and used computers with Windows, Mac, and have installed and used many variants of Linux. I do a lot of programming with web stuff and Mac has given me a nice balance for command line and graphical applications. Mac and Linux both operate very similarly under the hood as the are both Unix variants. My frustration with Linux is the lack of commercial applications and a lot of very unpolished stuff.

U mention your son learning python. This and many other similar programs are built around Unix.

One other thing to consider is the build quality. Unless u get something ruggedized for the pc side, nothing I have found is a robust as the aluminum Mac notebooks.

Lastly, if at sometime he really wants or needs Windows, he can setup a dual boot system and install Windows as well on a Mac, but there is no way to install (OSX) Mac on another pc.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-G74SX-A1-17-3-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B00542SUD8

This is what I run on the daily. I upgraded her with a 256gb Samsung SSD and 750gb HDD. Runs like the dickens but good luck powering her for more than an hour on battery. Bought it back in 2010/11 for 1100 so the price is a bust there, but overall very impressed with the laptop. Huge and heavy, but runs anything you can buy on the market today. i7 and a GTX 560M. 8gb of ram, 2gb dedicated vram. My only complaint is that you can't find OEM batteries anymore. Mine is getting exhausted and unable to hold more than a 30-45 min charge. The newest version my dad has and is every bit as powerful for a bit more of the cost. Probably the easiest customization bay in the bottom for RAM and your HDDs accessible with little effort. Cleaning out the giant fans and heatsinks in the back though...

Gotta catch my flight!

17.3 inches is more of a desktop replacement than a laptop. I'd recommend something much more portable. 13" - 15"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I'm OFF the laptop idea. What sounds super cool to me is the two of us building a desktop PC together.

Anyone have experience with this? I don't really want to design it so a kit would fit the bill. With that said, a barebone kit is not what I want either.

I think I'm OFF the laptop idea. What sounds super cool to me is the two of us building a desktop PC together.

Anyone have experience with this? I don't really want to design it so a kit would fit the bill. With that said, a barebone kit is not what I want either.

Piece of cake to build one. They go together like Legos these days, takes maybe 10 minutes to fully assemble. Very rare to run into problems like the old days.

First off what is the mission for the computer?

Piece of cake to build one. They go together like Legos these days, takes maybe 10 minutes to fully assemble. Very rare to run into problems like the old days.

First off what is the mission for the computer?

Maybe for you or I. For someone who never built one before, I think 45 minutes to an hour is more realistic.

Still a lot better than the old days, though.

Rich

The design stage is where the learning takes place. Assembly is just... assembly.

If your goal is to get something for him quickly, then go to Microcenter and buy one. If you're going to build a computer, on the other hand, then you might as well make it as rich a learning experience for the lad as possible; and again, the learning happens during design. Anyone who's not a total klutz can assemble a computer.

Rich

The design stage is where the learning takes place. Assembly is just... assembly.

If your goal is to get something for him quickly, then go to Microcenter and buy one. If you're going to build a computer, on the other hand, then you might as well make it as rich a learning experience for the lad as possible; and again, the learning happens during design. Anyone who's not a total klutz can assemble a computer.

Rich

I'm afraid of my ignorance. I know the basic parts of a computer; case, motherboard, CPU, hard drive, optic drive, power supply, cooling...

But I don't know what specs work with what. I'd be afraid I'd end up with incompatible hardware. Also weak on software. I don't know how to install BIOS, CMOS, and the like, let alone initial install of OS.

With that in mind is it still something you'd recommend?

I'm looking to buy a lap top for my boy. He's turning 12 but don't let his age guide you too much. He's really into computers and has accounts with codecademy.com, scratch.mit.edu and the like. He's presently learning python, is in all advanced classes at school, takes band and orchestra and has straight A's. He's also aced every FCAT he's ever taken. For the past two years his stated goal is to attend MIT.

Okay, enough proud dad chest thumping. With that in mind I'm looking for a lap top that will suit his needs. I'm not opposed to spending some money on it but I'd like to keep it out of 4 digit territory.

My wife has found what I consider to be crap from BestBuy for around $350. I told her I'd look into it and so far this post is my best idea. So, if you think you know 'just the thing' please share.

Many thanks in advance,

I've been quite happy with my current and former Sony Vaio. They both had/have lit keyboards which I find essential, and my current has a touch screen which after having the last boat computer with Win8 and no touch screen, I consider a requirement for operating with Win8. My current has an i5 processor w/6GB memory and a 750GB hard drive which IIRC I paid less than $800 for.

Figure out what sort of CPU you want, find a motherboard to match. Then use motherboard spec for things like ram and video card. Most of it's pretty universal. You can always post your parts list here and I'm sure several of us can tell you if it will work.

And even if he picks the wrong thing, he will surely learn from that mistake.

But I'm sure glad my parents didn't have that philosophy or I would probably have died from from and STD when I was 13.

Your parents hand selected your hookers?:lol:;)

I'm afraid of my ignorance. I know the basic parts of a computer; case, motherboard, CPU, hard drive, optic drive, power supply, cooling...

But I don't know what specs work with what. I'd be afraid I'd end up with incompatible hardware. Also weak on software. I don't know how to install BIOS, CMOS, and the like, let alone initial install of OS.

With that in mind is it still something you'd recommend?

If you use pcpartpicker.com to assemble your parts list, it will tell you whether you are building an incompatible system. In fact, once you pick your first part (usually the CPU) the site allows you to then only select from other compatible components. They also have a good support forum, where you can publish your design and mission, and some knowledgeable people will write in with suggestions.

No I am in no way affiliated with the site. I just found it incredibly helpful when designing my system.

Agreed. If he's that sophisticated in things geeky, he probably knows best what he needs.

Rich
And if he does not he will learn from the experience.

Each of my three boys built their own desktop from scratch. I set a budget and a few other parameters and they did the research (Tom's Hardware and other online resources) and assembled it. It was a great experience for each of them.

Last edited:
In addition to the PC, get him a Raspberry Pi.
Super cheap way of having a Linux server at home. And you can use it for electronic projects as well if he want's to mess with some hardware.

You can send me the check when he becomes the next Bill Gates.

I would get a laptop for a 12 year old. He will want to take it to friends house's and school to do home work, etc. as he goes into high school.

On the programming, .NET is a popular development platform as well, and MS offers a free version of Visual Studio for students as well as many tutorials and even a contest for young developers. The development my company does is almost all on the .NET platform.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/students-overview-msdn

I bet your boy will not want a Mac, because it won't play the games his peers are playing.

I'd look for a good Windows 7 (or soon Windows 10) laptop with at least an i3 or better processor. SSD's are wonderful things, and are cheaper to buy aftermarket. You'll still spend less than a Macbook.

If he wants to learn to program he can get Microsoft Visual Studio pretty cheap, or go with the free 'Express' edition. Visual Studio is really a super good tool, way better than any of the free alternatives. X-Code for the Mac is also excellent, but Mac's are not really good for gamers.

He does need to get familiar with Unix, so either buy VMWare for his laptop, or install the less capable Virtual Box. He can install Ubuntu Linux on those.

Or even better, get him a Raspberry Pi to go with his laptop!

Virtual Machines are all the rage, and for good reasons. That's another thing he might as well get used to.

I bet your boy will not want a Mac, because it won't play the games his peers are playing.

I'd look for a good Windows 7 (or soon Windows 10) laptop with at least an i3 or better processor. SSD's are wonderful things, and are cheaper to buy aftermarket. You'll still spend less than a Macbook.

If he wants to learn to program he can get Microsoft Visual Studio pretty cheap, or go with the free 'Express' edition. Visual Studio is really a super good tool, way better than any of the free alternatives. X-Code for the Mac is also excellent, but Mac's are not really good for gamers.

He does need to get familiar with Unix, so either buy VMWare for his laptop, or install the less capable Virtual Box. He can install Ubuntu Linux on those.

Or even better, get him a Raspberry Pi to go with his laptop!

Virtual Machines are all the rage, and for good reasons. That's another thing he might as well get used to.
Please do not corrupt the poor kid with Visual Studio or anything that involves developing using Microsoft technologies!

Back