Computer battery

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Toshiba Tecra M8
Manual says do not leave computer plugged in, it will overcharge battery!
No trickle/no electronic shutoff!

Toshiba Tecra M8
Manual says do not leave computer plugged in, it will overcharge battery!
No trickle/no electronic shutoff!

That is mighty gay. I will stay away from the Toshiba Tecra line for sure now.

The call center has an option, get replacement for defective batteries,...including all lines up to but excluding....M8.
I think they should last longer. I bought the bigger batt and now get about 1/2hr on it.
What do you think about their idea that we should never leave it plugged in for >2hrs. As if.

Pat for the course. My always plugged in Macbook Pro lasts about a year, too.

Pat for the course. My always plugged in Macbook Pro lasts about a year, too.
A MacBook Pro battery lasts me six months at best. That said, I use the hell out of my laptop. It is essentially in my hands or next to me nearly all the time. I fully charge and discharge the battery *MANY* times throughout the course of the day.

It also has some pretty major battle scars and is about 15 months old...but..it accomplishes a lot.

a) are you guys saying you don't leave your laptop plugged in for many hours at a time?
b) do you really think my home insurance will stiff me if I have a fire caused by a non rated device?
c) I thought the memory and early failure problem was with Nicads, this is a Li-ion. What are the characteristics of a li-ion batt?

A MacBook Pro battery lasts me six months at best. That said, I use the hell out of my laptop. It is essentially in my hands or next to me nearly all the time. I fully charge and discharge the battery *MANY* times throughout the course of the day.

It also has some pretty major battle scars and is about 15 months old...but..it accomplishes a lot.

What are you guys doing to them? Sheesh!

My first MacBook Pro battery was one of the bad Sony ones - Mike, your MBP is of that vintage too, look at your battery, if it has the slightest bulge to it, take it back to the Apple store and they'll give you a new one. So, I got one new battery pretty early on in the game (1st 6 months of ownership, IIRC).

My next battery lasted me until December. Actually, it was still working, but only held about a 45-minute charge. That means it held up for a good solid 2 years, which is about what I expect out of a Li-Ion battery.

I got a new battery for Christmas, so I've had it for about 6 months now. At the moment, it's showing charged and when I pull the cord it shows 3:13 remaining. Jesse, you must be constantly draining and charging to ruin them in 6 months!

What are you guys doing to them? Sheesh!
Using the **** out of it.

flyingcheesehead said:
Jesse, you must be constantly draining and charging to ruin them in 6 months!
I charge and completely drain it non-stop about 18 hours a day. It is rare it ever gets a full charge..usually a partial and then I unplug until its nearly dead again. I am more active than the average user.

Using the **** out of it.

I charge and completely drain it non-stop about 18 hours a day. It is rare it ever gets a full charge..usually a partial and then I unplug until its nearly dead again. I am more active than the average user.

That'll do it. :eek:

I choose to carry my power adapter to any place that I intend to be using my computer for any extended length of time. I actually used to have two power adapters, which made things much easier! I'd have one in the truck and one at home, and almost never had to carry one anywhere.

Judging by you, me, and Mike, I would guess that the Li-Ion batteries like to be charged fully, but drained completely at least once in a while. (Mike leaves his plugged in all the time.)

I actually used to have two power adapters, which made things much easier!
I have three of them (home, office, laptop bag) and it still seems like I manage not to have a power supply. At home, when I'm thinking, I tend to just pace around and use my laptop all over the place..so I can't really have it plugged in. In the office I'm constantly roaming troubleshooting something with someone or just working in a more comfortable chair.

I also carry my mac from my desk to the break room while I purchase a soda from the machine...typing the entire way. I feel like detaching from it slows me down too much.

a) are you guys saying you don't leave your laptop plugged in for many hours at a time?

I leave mine plugged in all the time, except when it's not. In other words, I don't observe any "time limits" beyond which the battery might get fried. I think your Tecra is highly unusual in that regard...

I leave mine plugged in all the time, except when it's not. In other words, I don't observe any "time limits" beyond which the battery might get fried. I think your Tecra is highly unusual in that regard...

Agreed. Mine are always plugged in. Old IBM 600e through T42 and now HP at work, Gateway at home. The Gateway is a little over 3 years old and going strong. But, it is plugged in and running all the time. Your Tecra sounds unique.

What about the battery types? Nicad=memory issues NiMH=ok to leave plugged in per Ipaq manual. This is a Lithium ion = nicad??

This is a Lithium ion = nicad??

Nope, Li-Ion is an entirely new type, more modern than the other two. However, it does need to be charged in a somewhat unusual manner. Electronics that don't suck take care of this for you and you can leave them plugged in forever. Frankly, I've never heard of anything that uses Li-Ions and doesn't charge them properly! If I'd have bought one of these Toshiba gadgets, I'd be mighty ****ed...

Back