Computer based IFR course?

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
Any recommendations on computer based IFR courses? Probably not looking for live online because the whole reason for needing to do this computer based is schedule. I've looked at King briefly, but there seem to be a lot - anything better?

When you do a computer based course like this, how do you get a written signoff? I'm sure there's a way and it's not hard, I'm just not coming up with a way to do it.

With king if you do all the lessons and chapter end quizzes and take the two practice tests it generates a valid sign off letter for you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gleim has a computer based course. I like theirs because it has the better presentation of the images (complete with a built in plotter) which obviates the need to lug around the "supplemental figures" printed material.

What happens is after you complete some sample tests to the satisfaction of the software, it allows you to print a completion certificate.

I've been using the Sporty's IFR course and enjoy it. It's all videos and on my iPads, which is much easier to transport, read/watch, etc. (Note - I have found learning the IFR stuff to be quite hard.) II've watched all the videos, but did poorly when reviewing the test questions, etc. - to the point where I wondered if there was material I hadn't read or seen. This may be an individual issue.

You can easily download PDFs of all the FAA publications for free, which would help. I've taken a little hiatus from IFR, partly because of the time and effort I found it demanded to effectively learn it.

I don't know which, if any, of the Sporty's/King/Gleim/ASA/etc courses have been fully updated for the new ACS rules replacing the PTS. (From the width of some of the neckties, many of these videos are really old!)

And, yes, when you pass the sample tests, Sporty's gives you a note so you can take the real Written.

Sheppardair.com follow their system and you will pass the written within 2 weeks max. But it's strictly for the written and likely not what your are asking about.

The question you need to answer....are you looking for something to pass the exam, or a more complete ground school curriculum? Big diff.

Any recommendations on computer based IFR courses?
This is not, repeat, NOT what you're looking for: www.Avclicks.com. But it WOULD be if I spent the time I spend here finishing it up finally. However, it'll get your mind right for absorbing the information coming at you like bullets in video presentations. In my tutorials you move at your own pace, one click at a time. It's FREE too. Use the FAA's online handbooks, linked for your convenience, for reinforcement.

dtuuri

The question you need to answer....are you looking for something to pass the exam, or a more complete ground school curriculum? Big diff.

Good question - I want to learn the IFR material and then I want to pass the exam. Somewhere in there I will also start flying with an instructor as I get back to being able to fly a straight line. Because of my schedule, I don't have time for a traditional ground school, but that would be my first choice.

Good question - I want to learn the IFR material and then I want to pass the exam. Somewhere in there I will also start flying with an instructor as I get back to being able to fly a straight line. Because of my schedule, I don't have time for a traditional ground school, but that would be my first choice.
Get the free books off the FAA website (PDF) Everything you need to know, altho there's 6 or 7 books involved....instrument procedures, instrument handbook, weather (2?), w&b, the 2 books of charts, ACS specs, what else......? Read. Learn. The CFII can answer questions and point out some of the more "interesting" approaches. Then if you really need an online review course, pick any that have been suggested here.

Last edited:
It has been 15 years since I did IFR training. Back then the courses were DVDs. I used the Sporty's course and really liked it. It was a good mix of "how to fly IFR " and test prep. I also used the Gliem book as a supplement. I still watch the DVD on instrument approaches from time to time.
The guy behind the Gold Seal content (Russ) has been a long time participant on many forums over the years. If I was doing the training today I would also give his course a look.

ASA's Virtual Test Prep (#ASA-VTP-1, $199.95). Eight blu-ray DVDs.

Bob

Are you talking about computer-based lessons for the written? American Flyers has a computer course that incorporates written prep as well as modules for FSX where you can fly a lesson in your home sim with an American Flyers' virtual instructor. Having used it, it ain't terrible.

So what's wrong with the King course? I just started my training and purchased King on a recommendation.

There's nothing at all wrong with the King course. I used it, and it made getting through all the topics quite easy for me. I also had exam prep software and a book -- the kind that provide sample questions and explanations -- and it seemed to me that there were some questions that weren't covered in the King course. For those, I did some reading in Rod Machado's book. I like his style and humor, but his book is so long and detailed that I got bogged down when I tried to study it from page 1 to the end. That's why I bought the King course. I wanted to feel I was making progress, and the King course gave me that feeling. I got a 93 on the Knowledge Test, so I am satisfied that my study strategy was right, for me at least.

I guess you'd have to have McAfee but has anyone else gotten this:

upload_2017-5-16_12-7-57.png

McAfee gave my computer autism. The thing is a joke. Not only does it not work, but it's extremely difficult to remove.

McAfee gave my computer autism. The thing is a joke. Not only does it not work, but it's extremely difficult to remove.

John Mcafee has instructions for how to deal with that, but it's very NSFW. He also covers backups. LOL LOL LOL.

Don't click if you don't want to see it... you've been warned.

Despite the cheese factor, I like King better than Sporty's. Both can be used as insomnia cures but the narration on Sporty's is soooo monotone and condescending. No, you don't have to say "Veeeeee - Ohhhhh - Arrrreee" every single time like I'm still learning the alphabet.

I know we live in modern times but I still think books are better. The FAA books are free. As far as the private publishers I am partial to the ASA Instrument Flying book (I think it's also called PM3) as it is written in a tone that's friendly, but not overly friendly (like Machado). Then follow that up with test prep.

It has been 15 years since I did IFR training. Back then the courses were DVDs. I used the Sporty's course and really liked it. It was a good mix of "how to fly IFR " and test prep. I also used the Gliem book as a supplement. I still watch the DVD on instrument approaches from time to time.
The guy behind the Gold Seal content (Russ) has been a long time participant on many forums over the years. If I was doing the training today I would also give his course a look.

I must be getting old because the "way back then, 15 years ago, we used DVDs" seems like such a strange sentence.

Are you talking about computer-based lessons for the written? American Flyers has a computer course that incorporates written prep as well as modules for FSX where you can fly a lesson in your home sim with an American Flyers' virtual instructor. Having used it, it ain't terrible.

Damned with faint praise.

Their CFI refresher was painful but I heard they revised it recently.

I guess you'd have to have McAfee but has anyone else gotten this:

View attachment 53573
Yep. Gets flagged on the work computer too. And the work network is "protected" by... you guessed it... McAfee.

On my old old PC, it came with McAfee. One day the update decided the only way to make sure my computer stayed clean was to delete the boot file. I guess if the computer won't boot, it can't get viruses. Very "I, Robot" but I digress...

Despite the cheese factor, I like King better than Sporty's. Both can be used as insomnia cures but the narration on Sporty's is soooo monotone and condescending. No, you don't have to say "Veeeeee - Ohhhhh - Arrrreee" every single time like I'm still learning the alphabet.

I know we live in modern times but I still think books are better. The FAA books are free. As far as the private publishers I am partial to the ASA Instrument Flying book (I think it's also called PM3) as it is written in a tone that's friendly, but not overly friendly (like Machado). Then follow that up with test prep.

I must be getting old because the "way back then, 15 years ago, we used DVDs" seems like such a strange sentence.

Damned with faint praise.

Their CFI refresher was painful but I heard they revised it recently.

"I must be getting old because the "way back then, 15 years ago, we used DVDs" seems like such a strange sentence."

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing, because "way back then" (somewhere between 1998 and 2002) I bought the entire Sporty's Private Pilot and IFR courses on VHS :D

Last edited:
Yep. Gets flagged on the work computer too. And the work network is "protected" by... you guessed it... McAfee.

On my old old PC, it came with McAfee. One day the update decided the only way to make sure my computer stayed clean was to delete the boot file. I guess if the computer won't boot, it can't get viruses. Very "I, Robot" but I digress...
The McAfee problem has been rectified. They flagged it based on some previous use of the domain name by someone else. Try www.GoldMethod.com now and you'll see McAfee marks it as safe.

Back