Complying with TCDS Placarding Requirements

JohnAJohnson

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JohnAJohnson
My TCDS is based on steam gauges. If the six pack, navigation, and engine instruments are replaced with an EFIS, are placards such as the following still required, and if not, would the EFIS STC call for the removal of the placard?

Proximity of tachometer:
a. "Avoid continuous operation between 1400-1750 rpm with less than 10"
manifold pressure."

Near fuel flow gauge:
a. "Max. power Alt. S.L. 4000 8000 12000
b. Mixture GPH 17 15 13 10"

My TCDS is based on steam gauges. If the six pack, navigation, and engine instruments are replaced with an EFIS, are placards such as the following still required, and if not, would the EFIS STC call for the removal of the placard?

Proximity of tachometer:
a. "Avoid continuous operation between 1400-1750 rpm with less than 10"
manifold pressure."

Near fuel flow gauge:
a. "Max. power Alt. S.L. 4000 8000 12000
b. Mixture GPH 17 15 13 10"

Still required. A powerplant STC might superseded that data but the EFIS likely won't.

The limitations have not changed. How the information is presented has changed. Placard still required and should be displayed close to the gauges or in your case the screen where the data is displayed.

Still required. A powerplant STC might superseded that data but the EFIS likely won't.
Where should they go, considering the EFIS is modifiable to display gauges/readouts in different places? Could all of these be grouped together and placed off to the side of the EFIS?

Where should they go, considering the EFIS is modifiable to display gauges/readouts in different places? Could all of these be grouped together and placed off to the side of the EFIS?
I normally stick them beside the panel that is primary for the data referenced. I don’t go down the rabbit hole of placards being close to every place it can be displayed. As long as it’s close to primary location and in clear view of the pilots seat I have never had a fed complain. Frankly I think most inspectors are happy to see them at all. Required placards are often over looked.

If the panel itself is being replaced, you can get the placarding engraved right into it. Ask your avionics shop. We had it done sometimes. The panel is painted white, then black, and the black is engraved on a CNC routing machine to reveal the white. Slick, and beautiful. Sure beats stickers.

Back