Complex training

mxalix258

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
mxalix258
I'm looking at starting training in complex aircraft...anyone have any resources they've used and found valuable for learning the ins and outs of complex aircraft? Particularly the use of a CS prop.

Of the articles I've read, I haven't had any light bulbs yet...but maybe I'm making it more complicated than it is.

Thanks!

You only need to go fly one with an instructor, it isn't that much different except that the checklists are now even more important. You will probably need 10 hours in order to satisfy the requirements to rent one, although some insurance companies will require 25 hours.

I agree with Tim. I'd suggest finding an instructor to fly with. He/she will also teach you about the complex systems in some short ground school/debrief sessions.

I'm looking at starting training in complex aircraft...anyone have any resources they've used and found valuable for learning the ins and outs of complex aircraft? Particularly the use of a CS prop.

Of the articles I've read, I haven't had any light bulbs yet...but maybe I'm making it more complicated than it is.
Probably are making it more complicated than it is.

Despite the theoretical number of combinations of manifold pressure and prop rpm, for a lot of pilots, practically speaking the prop setting comes down to only a few: Takeoff, cruise climb, and cruise. Beyond that, most involve changing MP the way you would change a throttle in a fixed pitch prop) and leaving the prop alone. For example, the landing approach is low MP with the prop set for takeoff (the go-around). On an en route descent you might well leave the prop alone and gradually reduce power; again the same as you would do fixed pitch.

What tends to get a lot of folks is looking at the cruise chart, where there are multiple combinations of RPM and MP for similar performance. That's just a choice selection, with I'd guess most pilots opting for the combination that produces the lowest vibration and quietest/smoothest ride.

You'll need to have training for the complex endorsement anyway, so this stuff should be covered with your instructor.

Yeah, I find that I set the CS prop to the firewall for takeoff and landing (AFTER slowing enough that the prop no longer maintains set RPM), and out to the top of the green otherwise. Not much to that.

The gear is substantially more important, and it has some ramifications that might result in a bent aircraft. Not so obvious is that some of them increase drag significantly while in transit, so you don't want to retract 5 feet off the runway.

Honestly, when I did my complex checkout, I spent most of my time figuring out the characteristics of the aircraft, like you would on any other checkout. Well, a little more thoroughly to get a bunch of landings in.

I can't speak to the gear aspect from personal experience, but the CS prop is pretty trivial... definitely nothing to stress about.

I can't speak to the gear aspect from personal experience, but the CS prop is pretty trivial... definitely nothing to stress about.

Agreed. A short ground discussion about how it works and function, then some flying did it for me (1975 C182P).

Biggest knowledge thing was shifting thinking from RPM only for desired performance, to Power + RPM.

During the flight, we worked out MP and RPM settings for
Takeoff
Climb
Cruise Climb
Cruise
Cruise Descent
"faster" Descent
and In the Pattern

and then practiced these. By knowing this information, it made "flying by the numbers" a simpler task. I now know what combinations provide me a smooth 500 fpm climb or ascent, and what combination sets me up for a good pattern and final approach.

I just completed my complex checkout in the F33 Bonanza earlier this spring. My instructor recommended the following article which lit up some lightbulbs and cleared up a few things that I didn't realize I didn't fully understand. Probably a good refresher read from time to time too.

http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182082-1.html

Back