Complex aircraft checkout syllabus?

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
Anybody have a complex aircraft checkout syllabus/lesson plan I could use as a guide? I have a student who wants to get his endorsement, and was wondering if anyone has a good guide on what to discuss, what to do each loesson, etc. When I got my endorsement years ago, I don't think my CFI had any kind of syllabus or lesson plan.

I pretty much know what kinds of things I'll need to present, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Yeah, there is that blue handle there, dont have that pulled back during a go-around. And that other handle there, that's the fortythousand dollar handle. Dont have that 'up' when you land. Capiche ?

That should about do it :D

Go over the hows and whys of the CS prop, the MP, gauge and the gear.

No need to make it overly...

wait for it...

wait for it...

wait for it...

complex!

Should only take 2 lessons.

wait for it...

wait for it...

wait for it...

complex!

Should only take 2 lessons.

How I met your mother shout out okayyy

While AC 61-98A has been superseded by 61-98B without this part, the older version includes guidance on "high performance" checkouts, which when that AC was published in 1991 included what we now call "complex" aircraft. Appendix 4 has a syllabus for that.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/list/AC%2061-98A/$FILE/Appx1-4.pdf

wait for it...

wait for it...

wait for it...

complex!

Should only take 2 lessons of 5-6 hours each.

FTFY.

Here's what I covered in my recent initial complex checkout, in a 177RG. It could have been done in two lessons, but was done in three because we damaged a tire during an unplanned aborted takeoff.

Pre-lesson:
Exhaustive "ground review sheet" (4 pages).
Thorough reading of POH.
Checklist writing (that's my habit, not something the CFI asked for)

Lesson 1 -- local:
Preflight procedures -- especially gear inspections
Injected engine start procedures
CS prop -- firewall for takeoff, 2500 or below after 1000 feet, firewall for landing when the tach drops below setting; cycle during run-up
Cowl flaps -- when to use and when not to use (CHT gauge)
Order of configuration changes -- increased power: mixture, prop, throttle; decreased power: throttle, prop, mixture
Gear -- GUMPS at least twice during pattern, verify gear down visually (with mirror and looking out the window), and using the green light
Gear warning -- conditions that set it off and don't set it off (177RG does not set it off with flaps, but does with throttle); ALWAYS drop the gear when you hear it unless there is a preplanned reason not to.
Slow flight & stalls
Normal takeoff and landing

Lesson 2 -- nearby airport
Departure and arrival procedures
Leaning
Cruise performance
Descent -- slowing with gear and flaps (subject to V-speed limitations); gradual throttle reductions
No-flap landing and takeoff (aborted)

Lesson 3 -- different nearby airport with a longer runway
Departure and arrival procedures
No-flap takeoff
Distractions -- unfamiliar crossing under Class B between two remote airports (this was a sort of "final exam")
Soft & short field takeoffs and landings

Most of this was just a checkout in a new aircraft. But, the instructor wanted a whole bunch of landings to make sure I wasn't going to forget the gear. It didn't matter too much what kind of landing they were after each type had been demonstrated adequately. Total Hobbs time was just over three hours. It might have been longer, but I already had an HP endorsement and some experience in a 182Q, which has a CS prop and cowl flaps. The "rule of thumb" at the club is 5 hours, but the instructor's opinion trumps that.

Last edited:
Is that what you'd expect the insurance company to require prior to solo PIC?

It can probably be done in less time, just not in my plane. If you want him flying your plane after two sessions, knock yourself out.

In the south, maybe ;)

Last edited:
Crikey, the POH is a pretty good reference. A few trips around the pattern and at least one leg of transition to and from cruise flight and a few emergency procedures ought to be sufficient.

It can probably be done in less time, just not in my plane. If you want him flying your plane after two sessions, knock yourself out.

The problem I'd see myself having in your plane is figuring out where they put the other engine and the nosewheel. Once I got thpse figured out it should be pretty simple, even for a tall blonde like me.

Remedial training is available but at a higher rate.

The problem I'd see myself having in your plane is figuring out where they put the other engine and the nosewheel. Once I got thpse figured out it should be pretty simple, even for a tall blonde like me.

Anybody have a complex aircraft checkout syllabus/lesson plan I could use as a guide? I have a student who wants to get his endorsement, and was wondering if anyone has a good guide on what to discuss, what to do each loesson, etc. When I got my endorsement years ago, I don't think my CFI had any kind of syllabus or lesson plan.

I pretty much know what kinds of things I'll need to present, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Use the POH. A transition from a C172 to a C182 retract is a matter of reading the POH, a short preflight briefing and a couple of hours of flying.

If your student is transitioning from a Warrior to a Meridian, then you'll need a few more lessons and flights. . . .

My insurance company required 5 dual before pic. That was with 0 complex and 0 HP time. 10 before PAX.

I start with the FAA checklist that Ron posted and go from there. I do a thorough review of the POH AND all of the equipment suppliments. It's amazing how many guys have never read the manuals for the autopilot, avionics, Stormscope, etc If it's in the airplane they're going to know how to use it correctly. If you do it right it's going to take some time. I plan on about 5 hours or what the insurance company is going to require for solo. Otherwise, what's the point?

What aircraft? They get a lot tougher if it's something like a Malibu than an Arrow.

182RG. Then again, I got my PPL on June 6th and started flying the 182 on June 9th.

Remedial training is available but at a higher rate.

You drive a hard bargain. Two cases of your favorite beverage of choice (preferably not single malt scotch).

You didn't read the fine print. The rate is even higher for Jag techs.

You drive a hard bargain. Two cases of your favorite beverage of choice (preferably not single malt scotch).

In the south, maybe ;)

NC here and I got a checkout and IPC + BFR in a M20J in 5.2 hours. Zero complex experience prior to that.

5 Hours was the minimum for our club's insurance. I couldn't have done it in less than that anyway.

Edit: I did 5 hours in the plane and 2.5 ground instruction. Had to pass a written test on the aircraft and review the POH with instructor, plus one hour of ground specifically for the BFR.

Also the club minimums for flying the mooneys are 150 hours TT with instrument rating and 250 without.

Last edited:
I needed five for the insurance when I rented the thing, but oddly when I need to ferry the thing I just needed to be rated. So I had to run down my CFI and get her to endorse me because I was proficient in complex planes at that point but she had not bothered to endorse me as I was only halfway to needing the enforcement to fly solo.

Back