Compensation for flying in air shows?

Vance Breese

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Vance Breese
I have been reading some of the responses to questions about the FARs and it appears to me there are some very knowledgeable people here that understand the nuances of the FARs better than I ever will.
I would be grateful for help with some apparent confusion I have about receiving compensation.
I fly an experimental amateur built gyroplane and my certificate reads commercial pilot, rotorcraft-gyroplane.
I have flown her in a number of air shows.
It is just a demonstration of how a gyroplane maneuvers because many have not seen a gyroplane fly.
The operating limitations of the aircraft appear to me to prohibit flying for compensation.
I feel that includes money, motels, meals and gas so I have demurred when offered compensation for flying in air shows.
Many people have suggested that I am confused about this and flying in an airshow is somehow different.
I would be grateful for knowledgeable opinions.
Thank you.

It would be helpful to know the exact wording in your POH...but my guess will be that you cannot carry passengers for compensation, but that certainly would not prohibit you as a commercial pilot for being compensated for conducting an airshow demonstration.

Mike

Thank you Mike; that is exactly what I was looking for.

There is nothing in the POH about flying in an air show other than aerobatics are prohibited.

From the aircraft’s experimental operating limitations
(11) No person may operate this aircraft for carrying persons or property for compensation or hire.

FAR § 91.319
Aircraft having experimental certificates: Operating limitations.
(a) No person may operate an aircraft that has an experimental certificate—
(1) For other than the purpose for which the certificate was issued; or
(2) Carrying persons or property for compensation or hire.

Do I need a class two medical to receive compensation for flying in an airshow or is a class three enough?

Last edited:
You need a Commercial Pilot certificate to receive compensation for flying in an air show, and you need a medical certificate valid at Second Class level to exercise that Commercial Pilot privilege. See 14 CFR 61.113, 61.133, and 61.23.

As for the plane, I agree with Mike's analysis.

Finally, you probably also want to make sure your liability and/or hull insurance covers such activity, and that's something which you'd probably have to ask your insurer or a good attorney who knows how to read your policy.

Thank you Mike; that is exactly what I was looking for.

There is nothing in the POH about flying in an air show other than aerobatics are prohibited.

From the aircraft’s experimental operating limitations
(11) No person may operate this aircraft for carrying persons or property for compensation or hire.

FAR § 91.319
Aircraft having experimental certificates: Operating limitations.
(a) No person may operate an aircraft that has an experimental certificate—
(1) For other than the purpose for which the certificate was issued; or
(2) Carrying persons or property for compensation or hire.

Do I need a class two medical to receive compensation for flying in an airshow or is a class three enough?

I'm relatively new to aviation and don't have as much experience as some of the other posters but I interpret the FARs slightly different. I don't think it matters what your POH says but rather what your experimental certificate says. From what I've read an experimental certificate can be issued for several different purposes including operating an amateur built aircraft, air racing, and exhibition. If your certificate states that it is for operating an amateur built aircraft, but does not state that it is for exhibition then you are possibly violating the FARs by flying in air shows whether you are paid or not. If your certificate does state that exhibition is a valid purpose then you should be able to get paid for it as a commercial pilot as long as you have the appropriate medical.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and I'm sure someone will point that out.

Last edited:
Thank you Ron, that is very helpful to me.
I fly with a statement of demonstrated ability because I am blind in one eye and have had a traumatic brain injury. I will have to take a new demonstrated ability medical check ride to get a second class medical.
My liability insurance covers this sort of flying.

Thank you Wheels, there are several different kinds of experimental aircraft. I am working on becoming a CFI and want to do training in the gyroplane. I have a Letter Of Deviation Authority for experimental amateur built so I need to stick with that.
Three different FSDOs have approved what I do and my paper work in ten airshows.

I'm relatively new to aviation and don't have as much experience as some of the other posters but I interpret the FARs slightly different. I don't think it matters what your POH says but rather what your experimental certificate says.
It matters what both (and what other FAR may) say. In case of direct conflict, the most restrictive limitation of the three generally applies.

Back