Compact Powered Parachutes

Whitney

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Whitney
I know squat about powered parachutes, have only skydived, not used one powered.
Do they make a backpack style power unit that would fit in the back of a Honda Accord, with the back seat folded down, and if so does it work well, and who makes the best one?

I met a guy at a city park one day (I was there flying R/C planes). He pulled one out of his two door BMW and in 15 minutes was flying. Well, a little longer bc we were chatting.

top of cage removed and in front seat, backpack engine in back seat, chute in trunk.

The park ended up being juuuust outside the local delta airspace.

i did some research, but didn’t get the bug to try it. I bet it’s a blast!

I think I would still opt for a more rigid wing ultralight. Or even a ultralight gyrocopter.

Terminology:

A powered parachute is a big cart, usually 2 seats, LSA, with 50-60 HP, fairly sluggish flight characteristics.

Similar in appearance but not the same thing at all, a powered paraglider (or paramotor) is much smaller, usually backpack but can be on wheels too, almost always 1 seat, 15-25 HP, part 103 ultralight, very maneuverable.

Yes, a paramotor can break down to fit in most small cars, though I used to carry mine in a small cargo platform plugged into a trailer hitch on the back of my Miata.

There are a lot of good brands out there. Most commonly, you get instruction from the equipment seller. I've been out of it for a few years, so I don't know what or who the current equipment / people in the business are, but footflyer is a good place to start.

It may be the most fun one can ever have in the air.

There was a guy on the board who got one of those things, long ago. Had videos of himself learning to fly it in what looked like a park. Harrowing. Good for early morning and twilight. Not good with any wind at all.

There was a guy on the board who got one of those things, long ago. Had videos of himself learning to fly it in what looked like a park. Harrowing. Good for early morning and twilight. Not good with any wind at all.

That's the biggest issue I see with them. I was really investigating them because they look like a lot of fun and my canopy flying experience would probably make the transition really easy. But the wind limitations really reduce when you can fly them. We have several that fly in my area, but only in the early morning or evening.

That's the biggest issue I see with them. I was really investigating them because they look like a lot of fun and my canopy flying experience would probably make the transition really easy. But the wind limitations really reduce when you can fly them. We have several that fly in my area, but only in the early morning or evening.
Yup, that's all they're good for. Toys really, but at least they go for toy prices...

If you live near the water where there are steady sea breezes, you can fly a paramotor all day. Inland, it's usually a morning or evening thing. A steady 10kt wind is ok, gusty is not. Mechanical turbulence from obstacles to windward is bad.

If you haven’t already, check out Tucker Gott’s YouTube channel. I watched a bunch of his videos and was considering getting one but knew it wouldn’t pass muster of SWMBO.

If you go down that path, get good instruction. They are relatively easy to fly, but some of the failure modes require quick action to correct and weather changes can get you in trouble.

Thanks everyone.

I've been traveling today, so took a while to respond.

I want something to take on trips in my car, and the 180.

Thanks everyone.

I've been traveling today, so took a while to respond.

I want something to take on trips in my car, and the 180.
Talk about first world problems. You're looking for a plane you can take with you in your plane.

I don't think any powered chute is gonna fit inside a Honda car or 180.

I don't think any powered chute is gonna fit inside a Honda car or 180.

You think wrong. A large powered parachute won't, but a backpack paramotor will. The cage breaks down and the propeller can be removed. Some paramotors pack down into a couple of large suitcases. I have a friend who carried his in his Maule.

If I have an airplane I'd much rather fly it than a parathingie. Looks to me like you only get one axis of flight.

If I have an airplane I'd much rather fly it than a parathingie. Looks to me like you only get one axis of flight.

The reason I was looking at them is because they are simple, easy to fly, and can do the 'low and slow' thing. Out here, they don't even use the airport. They go out to the federal land and use it as the take-off and landing area.

The negatives were the wind issues (mentioned above), and the solo aspect of it. You can get tandem rigs, but they don't fly well solo. I like to share the flying experience with other people.

Can land on a mountain top, glacier, front lawn, cruise over my fields low and slow, go on a road trip and explore local areas from the air, and more.

Can land on a mountain top, glacier, front lawn, cruise over my fields low and slow, go on a road trip and explore local areas from the air, and more.

If the engine quits you can bail out of the 180 and have the ability to fly to your plane ... saves a bunch of waking. Might want to strap a couple of fire extinguishers to your legs and don't forget the selfie stick. :rofl:

If you want to get a paramotor, I like @Dana s suggestion of using a hitch rack to transport the fan. Having to partially assemble and disassemble it adds to the possibility of error, plus having an engine and gas tank inside your car, especially a two stroke, isn't at all appealing.

Back