Commuting to work in airplane on company dime?

RyanLikesFlying

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RyanLikesFlying
Hey all, theres a chance I may be moving to a regional position that I may be traveling to and from different locations for work. I'm not an owner but am curious, could someone fly their plane and be reimbursed for expenses or is this a "pro rata share" scenario?

No one else would be in the plane. Company pays for commercial air and travel accommodations, etc. Just curious if I could fly myself instead and have them pay for it, legally with the FAA.

Yeah yeah, I could probably pull out my FAR AIM, but I'm too lazy. I did do a forum search first though :)

The question has been beat up a few times, but here is a recent thread:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...ny-plane-with-passengers.105902/#post-2367398
It seems like a few people get their employer to reimburse the equivalent of mileage, but gas and/or rental fees are fair game. You can't be compensated beyond expenses and if you carry a passenger, you are limited to pro rata share and each passenger has to get their own reimbursement and pay you the pro rata share themselves. If it is a company plane, then it is a whole other can of worms, or if the company rents/leases them plane directly.

Private pilots flying their own plane can be reimbursed by an employer for travel incidental to their job, but they cannot carry passengers.

I've done it a few times. My employer reimburses by mileage, at a higher rate than auto, but caps it at the cost of an airline ticket. As an employer, the US govt is similar. Many employers say no, however.

When I worked for Intel the use of GA for company travel was prohibited, except for certain tail numbers, which happened to be the aircraft in the company's shuttle fleet. Now that I have my own company, I make the rules and the use of GA when appropriate is fine. See what your employer's rules are.

Awesome y’all, thanks for the info. I’ll consider it, get with the employer about the policy and weigh my options.

Yes..as a PPL you can be 100% fully reimbursed commuting for business provided you are not carrying passengers or cargo and the flying os incidental. Cargo needs CPL and soon as there is another person in the plane the whole pro-rata crap crap kicks in...employee or otherwise.

Back