Commuter marriages?

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
Anyone ever participated in a commuter marriage? I'm particularly curious about the dynamics when one spouse lives out of town all week and returns each weekend, and the other spouse works full time. And there are kids.

Ken Ibold said:
Anyone ever participated in a commuter marriage? I'm particularly curious about the dynamics when one spouse lives out of town all week and returns each weekend, and the other spouse works full time. And there are kids.

You might email Chicago and occasional network TV journalist Carol Marin. The last I heard, several years ago, her husband is a professor at a university in Texas. They used to hook up on every other weekend.

I don't think they have kids.

http://www.suntimes.com/index/marin.html
cmarin @ suntimes.com

Marin is the one who got the iron clad deal to do a serious evening TV news on the local CBS station. The suits killed the show in about a month. She was one of the two main anchors who quit the local NBC station when they hired Jerry Springer to do commentary on the news. She's does segments of the PBS station's daily news and I think I heard she's going to be contributing to 60 Minutes.

Good luck with any new opportunities, Ken!

Last edited:
Ken Ibold said:

Does 80+% travel count?

Way back when, I did that for 6-9 months. It was stressful on the marriage. I won't say that it was the reason we divorced, but it was a contributing factor. No kids involved.

If you want more info, pm me.

Ken Ibold said:

My boss has been doing that for two years now. He lives in Chicago and his wife in California they each commute every other weekend to where the other is. It helps that in my line of work we travel about 1/3 of our time anyways with alot of it to the west coast so the company picks up the tab. One of the people I work with lives in Florida and commutes up to Chicago each Monday and goes home on Friday. It is stressfull and you have to have two people that are willing to work through the issues.

Currently I am away M - F starting up an account in Lexington, KY. Its been OK, but we know it will end at some point. I think it would be hard if there were no end in sight and/or you couldn't come home on weekends.

I used to travel for a week at a time setting up remote datacenters, where I would come home on most weekends. There was the one time I planned on staying away through Thanksgiving and my wife came to get me. It took us 4 hours to get home from the airport due to Thanksgiving eve traffic.

I'm no longer married, but not due to the job.

I've seen it done succesfully for short periods (months) many times. I did it with my ex for a short period, my business partner just did a four month stint for a project. No kids. Both proferssionals. I know a couple where he is a Lockheed IT professional and the wife is a stay at home grandmom. It is hard on them but, they manage. I don't think my current wife would take it for long.

It is never easy. And if you see it damaging your family, you need to be able to say "no" to the money. Because it is always about the money. You have to be able to see an end and a reward IMHO.

Ken,

I lived in Tulsa for a year while Becca lived in Oklahoma City. One of us would make the drive every Friday night, but we had to take the free road since we couldn't afford the $2 toll. That was before kids and it really sucked. Then, after kids, I spent about 3 years on the road full time where she had to deal with all the stuff at home and I ate and drank too much. That really sucked too. I can't imagine any job that would make that lifestyle worth living again for me. YMMV.

Chip

I guess I should have read closer, I thought you said "computer marriages" and was going to give you my story. But now I'm not.

Worked apart for 2 years but no kids and both intense work. Didn't even to every week end, not even monthly. But had some great vacations! Worked then (1990), wouldn't do it now.

It was bad enough the few months I was living the batchelor life in Oregon before my family moved up when I first joined Intel. Made about 9 trips back to the Bay Area during that time for weekends. Amazing how quickly the house in San Jose didn't feel like home anymore, even though my wife and 2 kids were there. I travel a lot for business (not as much as some people I know, but it still is a lot) and that is stressful enough at times. Ken, I'd think long and hard about this and recommend you have a serious discussion with your wife about how to make it work.

I think it is a generally bad idea.

Eight years ago, I moved my family 160 miles away to a lovely village, in order to place my youngest child (he has cerebral palsy and was in 7th grade at the time) into an excellent school system. It seemed foolish to start a new practice as the one I had was quite successful. My son's original school district felt he wouldn't finish High School; but he is presently in his third year of college (from that aspect, it was a good decision).

I would commute on Friday nights and return on Sunday nights to a second home to live during the week (actually a condo). Well, during the week telephone calls don't make up for the meals eaten alone. While, I had friends near the condo and things like a weekly poker game with the "boys". These friends soon became my friends as oppossed to mutual friends.

Weekends were/are diffiucult because of course the people we interact with at the other home tend to be primarily my wife's friends. Further, when you are only somewhere for 36-48 hours, you feel contantly likeyou are on a minivacation. You constantly live out of a suitcase; you tend to eat out more; there is a tendency to try to fill the time with some interesting activity instead of just relaxing; etc, etc.

Now that my yongest is in college, my wife commutes to me 3 out of 4 weeks on average which has made things more normal for me but I thinkdifferent for her now.

While we have been married nearly 29 years; the decision in retrospect was not a good one.

Scott

I travel quite a bit now. My fiancee and I are planning a wedding and it has really ratcheted the stress level up a few notches. I spend a lot of time on my cell phone each night, and we debrief every day like we would at dinner.

I have set an internal end date for this work - I'm not travelling full time past the middle of next year. I'll do it in spurts, but I can't do it full time. Home stops being home, it's just where my clothes live.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Some folks are able to Ken; you may be one.

Back in the service, I missed several years of my daughter's young life when she was growing up. Of course, being the objective oriented guy I am, probably would have missed some do to work, but just missing the little stuff hurts the relationship. Ex-wife was pretty put out, even though she said she understood.

Sometimes one must do what they have to do. Sure would suggest there be a time limit or end of some sort inthe future. Or at least that option.

Best,

Dave

I lived in a Hampton Inn in Cary, NC for t wo and a hallf years while on a site investigation project. I came home every ten days or so. My wife had a small business and we had no kids. I think it did do some long term harm, though hard to put a finger on it. I just think it made it a little too easy to leave home for a couple of weeks. She'd come in the bedroom and see me packing, and ask "Where ya goin'?" and I'd reply, "Raleigh, for ten days." Then she'd say" OK see you when you get back", then a peck on the cheek and off to the post office or some such. I did leave for the airport many times with a tightness in my throat because 1. I didn't really want to go. and 2. I really didn't have a choice. I still travel, though not as regularly as Cary, it seems to be for longer trips and with open ended return dates as well as to places like Brazil and Estonia and Canada. Now that I have two little ones, (5 and 8) I leave home nearly in tears half the time. I start getting uptight a couple of days prior to leaving, though I try not to show it so it won't upset the kids too much. They know I'll always have to travel. because that's just what Dad does. They also know it's partly because I have limited education and jobs that pay as well yet allow me to not travel aren't generally available to me. I have explained to my daughter (8) that in order to have choices later in life such as a career that allows her to not travel if she wishes, she has to have lots of education.

Back