Common Core math for pilots

No, and frequently it doesn't even matter if the answer is correct either.

Well, the correct answer is to me the most important thing one can achieve when given any problem, math or otherwise. Using someone's preferred method but getting the wrong answer is a major fail compared to using any workable method that gives the correct result.

Now part of that is because the school system teaches so that 90% of all students are "successful", which means they teach to an IQ of 70. That IQ is clinically classified as an idiot. It is wasting a lot of effort and even more enthusiasm on things that do nothing to advance a student's knowledge of math.

That is wrong on so many freakin' levels. Trying to assure the success of everyone while slowing down and frustrating the more capable students is an exercise in futility and is far more unjust than just allowing the idiots to fail.

You can't just learn the way that works for you, you also have to learn the ways that don't.

Again, this is so, so wrong.

Now I do understand that certain techniques might be better for certain scientific or technical disciplines but if one chooses those disciplines in higher education or for a career then they can learn them at the appropriate time. There is absolutely no reason to force everyone to learn methods other than a couple of the most common or easily comprehended.

Now some would say that I do not really have a dog in this fight as I am neither an educator nor a parent. My personal interest in this is the end result which is young mechanics who have what I consider to be marginal math skills. Now, the average A&P does not do many math problems on a daily basis but when we do, the correct answer is kinda important.

Trying to assure the success of everyone while slowing down and frustrating the more capable students is an exercise in futility and is far more unjust than just allowing the idiots to fail.

Local policy - unrelated to Common Core. But your'e right, it's wrong.

A real,Common Core math question:

Show how to get 10 when adding 8 + 5.

If the student says 8 + 5 = 13 not 10, it is counted Wrong. 8 + 2 = 10, then add the other 3 to get the final,answer of 13. This is the Approved Common Core Math Answer.
That has nothing to do with common core.

Fun thread.
The actual problem was lost in the scrum, though (not unusual for this bunch :D )

The real problem is that the person who wrote that question of performing multiplication by repeated addition does not understand the Law of Commutation and the kids do.
Look here for those who have been out out school too long:
https://www.mathsisfun.com/associative-commutative-distributive.html

Now the issue was they had to show how they get 5 times 3 through repeated addition.
The test writer wanted them to add five sets of "3" together.
The kids being smarter than he/she added three sets of "5" (quicker and easier)
The Law of Commutation says either way is correct - and the KIDS knew this.
So, they got marked Wrong for the order in which they did the additions.
And, that has nothing to do with common core.

Is the reason you can't add apples and oranges is that they don't have a common core?

I have step kids in 4th and 6th grades. I've seen few issues with Common Core other than the standardized testing, which is a travesty.

Back