Commercial XC

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
My airplane is at the avionics shop in Oregon and I need to get it back to Reno. My wife and I are driving our car up there to see the eclipse. I was thinking that if I can pick up the airplane on the same trip, I could fly it back solo and she could drive our car. I think this will count for the Commercial XC which has to be solo, 300 miles total and to a landing at least 250 miles away. The straight line distance between the avionics place and Reno is about 370 miles.

She will do the drive over two days so I would like to stop at the same places she stops (for meals and a hotel). If I make 4 or 5 stops along the way, will it still count? Does it matter if one of my segments is less than 50 miles? Does it matter if I do it over two days (too far for my wife to drive it in one day... maybe even too far for two days).

As I read 61.129 it should count regardless of each segment distance.

e.g. KUAO-KEUG-KMFR-KRDD-KSAC-KRNO

Last edited:
It counts. Doesn't matter how much you stop, etc. Some will argue it, but it counts. There is nothing that says it has to be all in one day, etc.

I want to argue about an 8-10 hour drive being 2 or 3 days? You must be retired or have vacation to burn. :)

I want to argue about an 8-10 hour drive being 2 or 3 days? You must be retired or have vacation to burn. :)

I am self-employed, can work from anywhere with internet, and the last drive (when we dropped the plane off a couple weeks ago) took us 14 hours (heavy traffic getting out of Portland) including stops for food and fuel, plus 2 hours to swap rental cars. A one-way from Portland to Reno was $800 but if we changed cars in Redmond, OR it was only $160 using Avis and Alamo, and Alamo took forever to get us a car. Google says 10:06 for the route we took which seems about right. After dark though I was not driving as fast as I would during daylight because of deer. We got home at 2:15am.

My wife may not have the endurance to do a 10 hour drive in one day... depends on the road conditions, traffic, and now smoke around here. We're having a pretty eventful fire season after the big winter. Interstate 80 is closed due to fire right now and August is usually worse.

Last edited:
My airplane is at the avionics shop in Oregon and I need to get it back to Reno. My wife and I are driving our car up there to see the eclipse. I was thinking that if I can pick up the airplane on the same trip, I could fly it back solo and she could drive our car. I think this will count for the Commercial XC which has to be solo, 300 miles total and to a landing at least 250 miles away. The straight line distance between the avionics place and Reno is about 370 miles.

She will do the drive over two days so I would like to stop at the same places she stops (for meals and a hotel). If I make 4 or 5 stops along the way, will it still count? Does it matter if one of my segments is less than 50 miles? Does it matter if I do it over two days (too far for my wife to drive it in one day... maybe even too far for two days).

As I read 61.129 it should count regardless of each segment distance.

e.g. KUAO-KEUG-KMFR-KRDD-KSAC-KRNO

The eclipse will bend the time space continuum - none of it counts.

Airline to OR. Fly plane back. Bring wife with and stay in B&B, airline her back.

Or, if that's not feasible, find the easiest way to make the adventure happen.

If I stop enough, she will beat me to Reno. :D
True story. My wife and I were flying back to Denver from a trip to the Grand Canyon. We landed at Albuquerque due to storms. My wife had a meeting the next morning and decided to take a bus the rest of the way. It was one of those routes that stopped in every small town along the way. She swears people had live chickens.

The storms started clearing to the west and the pilots waiting to head in that direction prepared to leave. One turned to me and asked, "when do you think it will clear enough for you to get out of here?" My answer was, "it doesn't matter. I'm staying the night. No way I'm getting home before my wife!"

Airline to OR. Fly plane back. Bring wife with and stay in B&B, airline her back.

Or, if that's not feasible, find the easiest way to make the adventure happen.

We're already driving the car to central Oregon for the eclipse and car camping (hotels have been sold out for more than a year).

Back