commercial written

carolina flyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
carolina flyer
I am about to start working toward my commercial ticket and was wandering about the material that's covered on the written.I heard that i'll see the same type questions as i did when i took my pvt.,just more questions.Just thinking i might be able to save a few $$ by not ordering another home study course for my commercial.Maybe i could just review my home study pvt. course??

There are differences, but you can find the commercial knowledge exam questions on the web and see for yourself.

Bob Gardner

I am about to start working toward my commercial ticket and was wandering about the material that's covered on the written.I heard that i'll see the same type questions as i did when i took my pvt.,just more questions.Just thinking i might be able to save a few $$ by not ordering another home study course for my commercial.Maybe i could just review my home study pvt. course??

The two are similar, I will give you that, but as a Commercial pilot you are expected to know Basic Aerodynamics, Aircraft Systems, Flight Instruments, Regulations, Procedures and Airport Operations, Weather, Weather Services, Aircraft Performance, Navigation, and IFR Operations more in depth than as a Private Pilot. These subjects are what is taught in the ASA commercial test prep DVD series I used. Plus, the ASA course has a lot of material for a good price. No connection to ASA btw. And one other good thign ASA does is they spend time demonstrating on the DVD's, al of the maneuvers you have to learn which helped me greatly.

For instance, in aerodynamics, do you know what a V-G diagram is? Do you know about the lift to drag ratio and how it effects the plane in flight?Do you know FAR part 119 and the differences between commercial ops under part 91, 135, 121 as well as differences between part 135 VFR and IFR minimum requirements to fly as a pilot, so on and so forth? And do you know aircraft systems such as constant speed props and retractable gear, as in how they basically operate?

I am not trying to bust your chops, but to be a Commercially rated pilot, more in-depth knowledge is required of all the usual subject areas. I know a heck of a lot more now as a Commercial pilot than I ever did as a Private.

I suggest a test prep course as there is a lot of new information to know and learn. Plus your CFI can explain "holding out" to you. You most likely do not know what that means and all the grey areas connected to it.

Take a sample commercial exam on the internet. There are several free websites. That will give you a better idea of what yo uare getting into knowledge wise.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

David

Last edited:
A couple useful tools I found were while going through the Gleim Test Book. Get a clear ruler with a red line in the center. Use it on graphs. It can be taken into the test as well. Copy the graphs or any that are difficult to track the lines in.

During the actual test, take the clear ruler and a magnifying glass. It's allowed. Use the test supplement for your examples, not those on the computer screen. The booklet will be MUCH easier to read and the magnifying glass will help greatly in some of the fine print on chart examples, not to mention on the graphs and very narrow lines.

If you have an electronic E6B computer, take it ALONG WITH your mechanical E6B. There WILL be answers that will be only so close but not precise with what you arrive at. Run them with both computers.

Before you buy anything, ask around. Very likely somebody in your area has one of the many Commercial test prep materials just lying around, and you can borrow it to prepare.

If your PPL training materials were the standard FAA pubs like the Pilot's Encyclopedia [formerly "Handbook"] of Aeronautical Knowledge, Airplane Flying Handbook, Aviation Weather/Aviation Weather Services, etc., there's no need for more books. However, if you have a commercially-produced PPL training book, it will not have all the material you need for the CPL test.

If your PPL training materials were the standard FAA pubs like the Pilot's Encyclopedia [formerly "Handbook"] of Aeronautical Knowledge, Airplane Flying Handbook, Aviation Weather/Aviation Weather Services, etc., there's no need for more books. However, if you have a commercially-produced PPL training book, it will not have all the material you need for the CPL test.

Errr...that's me over in the corner waving my hand! I use the question bank as the skeleton when writing a book...then I flesh it out with experience.

Bob Gardner

Back