Commercial UAS operations

ATC_av8er

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ATC_av8er
Thinking of jumping into the commercial UAS scene. Anyone here familiar with the process of obtaining a Remote Pilot license? Can I take two written tests concurrently with each other (i.e. can my PPL written also count toward my RPO rating?) Any minimum UAS flight requirements?

What FAA pilots certs do you have now?

Thinking of jumping into the commercial UAS scene. Anyone here familiar with the process of obtaining a Remote Pilot license? Can I take two written tests concurrently with each other (i.e. can my PPL written also count toward my RPO rating?) Any minimum UAS flight requirements?

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_work_business/becoming_a_pilot/#first

The private pilot knowledge test does not substitute for the remote pilot knowledge test. If you already hold a part 61 pilot certificate (other than student pilot), you can get the remote pilot certificate after completing an online training course.

If you will be taking the PPL checkride soon, then take the UAS online course just prior. If you pass your PPL checkride then ask the DPE to go back into IACRA and sign you off for the Remote Pilot certificate.

If you don't want to wait until your checkride, you can ask the testing center that administers written exams if you can take both tests back to back. I think there will be a lot of overlap between the two tests anyway. I'm sure they'll hit you with two exam fees (around $150 each).

I have a possible opportunity to move into commercial operation of UAS here at work. So I thought I'd be proactive and get the certificate just in case. Went through the material and when the test came up I was humming right along. Then I got to the page where I click a link to get to a resource that I will need for the next several questions. "Page or file not found" GAH!

Did my test more than a few months back, just don't want to pay the asking fee of $50 to have a CFI sign it. Not much around where I live to do with it anyway so, I'll keep the $50 for now.

Did my test more than a few months back, just don't want to pay the asking fee of $50 to have a CFI sign it. Not much around where I live to do with it anyway so, I'll keep the $50 for now.
I got mine done at the FSDO for free.

I can't believe a CFI would charge $50 for it. It's about 5 minutes of clicking buttons in IACRA. I had my CFI do it right before I went flying with him for currency. He didn't charge extra.

I can't believe a CFI would charge $50 for it. It's about 5 minutes of clicking buttons in IACRA. I had my CFI do it right before I went flying with him for currency. He didn't charge extra.

Yeah, it's kinda ridiculous..just indicative of the types of flight training I have available around me. Anything to make a buck.

Yeah, it's kinda ridiculous..just indicative of the types of flight training I have available around me. Anything to make a buck.
I guess it would be reasonable if they came out and met you just for that purpose, but if you just caught them at the airport before or after they were teaching a lesson or something and asked them to sign you off in IACRA real quick, I don't see why they wouldn't be willing to do it for free.

I guess it would be reasonable if they came out and met you just for that purpose, but if you just caught them at the airport before or after they were teaching a lesson or something and asked them to sign you off in IACRA real quick, I don't see why they wouldn't be willing to do it for free.

I agree. I already have all the IACRA stuff done, just needs a look-see and a signature and I'm golden. My cert from the online class is gathering dust at home. I haven't honestly prioritized it because it doesn't get me anything right now, other than another credential (just in case).

If it was a priority I'd probably do as you suggest and "phone a friend". I know a couple guys with their CFI that could help out probably.

Back