Commercial Ratings Training Time???

GregP

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
GregP
Ok, I am aware of what the faa requirements are for commercial rating. so my question is, realistically how much training time does it take on the average? Thanks in advance..

Depends on how often you fly. A lot of the commercial is solo. Everyone is different.

edit: oh yeh, usually the pocketbook dictates how long it'll take

Last edited:
Hardly any if you're familiar with the plane you're taking the ride in.

Basically a PPL ride with a couple extra maneuvers, little ground self study on what a CPL can and can't do.

If you have all the hours, I'd say it's a weekend.

If you fly a decent amount, it shouldn't take you too long to get the license. Everyone is different though.

I'm working on mine now and should be done in another weekend or two. Did 2 hrs on Friday and 2 hrs this morning working on the flow of the maneuvers. Should be good to go and get the sign off for the check ride by the end of the month. Wish I could devote more time to knock it out all at once in a couple of days, but I'm okay with the pace I'm going.

I think it depends on the CFI as well in terms of how fresh they are on teaching the maneuvers.

I just got my IR and want to go straight into training for my commercial, I see several schools offer it for around $5,000.00. But you have to be careful not to go over the time that's included in the package. That's what really had me wondering and I have never practiced the maneuvers either. So in short I was debating on staying with my private instructor or going to a school and knock it out in a week..

I just got my IR and want to go straight into training for my commercial, I see several schools offer it for around $5,000.00. But you have to be careful not to go over the time that's included in the package. That's what really had me wondering and I have never practiced the maneuvers either. So in short I was debating on staying with my private instructor or going to a school and knock it out in a week..
$5000 is too much if you have any level of knowlege or proficiency at all.

What type aircraft is the school using for the instruction? I agree, $5K is too much for a SE CPL program.

Cheers,
Brian

I got my SE CPL in 3 days in a plane I'd never flown before. (With the wings in the wrong place, too!) ;-) Total cost of training and checkride was in the $3K range.

It took me about a week and a half comfortably. Granted I had done all the studying for the written before diving into the training. That helped keep things moving smoothly.

Note, there is no such thing as a "commerical rating." You can get a commercial pilot CERTIFICATE that will have various ratings on it.

Back