Commercial pilot for hire question

patiszerg

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pat
Hey all, I just recently passed my CSEL initial checkride and during the oral, the questions about flying for hire came up. The typical question of "can you fly a high performance aircraft (Piper PA-32R) for a private individual under private carriage" and the answer is yes if I got a high performance sign off. Right now I personally could not due to not having the high performance sign off.

The examiner went a step further and then asked could this individual with the airplane hire me anyway and pay for my flight training to get the sign off. This tripped me up a bit and I answered; "this is somewhat of a gray area of flying for compensation because if they pay for my flight training, that is a form of compensation but I would not be fulfilling the duties of what they hired me for, flying them and their family around under private carriage. I told the DPE that I would say no this is not okay, but I could contact the FSDO for clarification. The DPE seemed to have accepted that answer and I forgot to clarify during the debrief if it's fine for a commercial pilot to receive flight training for a sign off or rating under private carriage rules. What do you all think?

I don't see a problem here. You aren't being paid for air transport or any kind of carriage while you're doing this training. Heck, almost all employers pay for some kind of training for their employees.

Substitute training for a high performance endorsement for going to school to get a type rating for a jet. Pretty standard for employers to pay for the necessary training to fly a specific aircraft.

Hey all, I just recently passed my CSEL initial checkride and during the oral, the questions about flying for hire came up. The typical question of "can you fly a high performance aircraft (Piper PA-32R) for a private individual under private carriage" and the answer is yes if I got a high performance sign off. Right now I personally could not due to not having the high performance sign off.

The examiner went a step further and then asked could this individual with the airplane hire me anyway and pay for my flight training to get the sign off. This tripped me up a bit and I answered; "this is somewhat of a gray area of flying for compensation because if they pay for my flight training, that is a form of compensation but I would not be fulfilling the duties of what they hired me for, flying them and their family around under private carriage. I told the DPE that I would say no this is not okay, but I could contact the FSDO for clarification. The DPE seemed to have accepted that answer and I forgot to clarify during the debrief if it's fine for a commercial pilot to receive flight training for a sign off or rating under private carriage rules. What do you all think?
I have had several students that had a scholarship to pay for them to get their private pilots license.

I used my GI Bill to pay for my flight training.

It is common for owners of planes that require a type rating to pay for their pilots to go thru initial and recurrent flight training on the plane.

According to your answer none of these common practices would be allowed.

Back