Commercial Pilot Age???

GregP

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
GregP
First off, I have recently completed getting my instrument rating and have been enjoying being a private pilot for the last few years. I had never given it any real thought until recently, getting my commercial rating. I see that nearly every forum someone ask about the best rout to go, talking about private instructor or somewhere like ATP flight schools. but what I have never seen anyone ask is how do airlines look at hiring a new pilot that are in the mid 40's? are they not so into it or do they prefer it because they wouldnt have to worry about someone a lot younger leaving after getting sr pilot hours logged. at the moment I am considering getting it and trying to catch some local jobs flying as a charter pilot. any comments, ideas or just what ever I am open to hear it. Thanks in advance.

Seems like the regional will take anyone they can get.

For a regional, you'll be fine. Don't expect to make it to the majors, though. Your biggest issue will be getting the 1,500 hours necessary to qualify for an ATP. You'll want a CFI to instruct; that's tjhe most common way to build hours. You'll need 500 hours to fly commercially (as opposed to instructing).

500 Hrs to fly commercially is a bit misleading. You can fly many jobs with less than 500TT. The 135 VFR stuff requires 500TT to act as PIC. There are operators that will take you as a co-pilot right at 250TT. Those are 135s that fly single pilot airplanes with an opspec that require a SIC.

I instructed for about 100 hrs then went to fly a caravan PIC at a VFR 135 operation right at 500 TT

500 Hrs to fly commercially is a bit misleading. You can fly many jobs with less than 500TT. The 135 VFR stuff requires 500TT to act as PIC. There are operators that will take you as a co-pilot right at 250TT. Those are 135s that fly single pilot airplanes with an opspec that require a SIC.

I instructed for about 100 hrs then went to fly a caravan PIC at a VFR 135 operation right at 500 TT

As someone who is in the industry, outside of CFIing this is about right, without 500tt not much out there.

And not many 135s who will take you in at 500tt

For a regional, you'll be fine. Don't expect to make it to the majors, though. Your biggest issue will be getting the 1,500 hours necessary to qualify for an ATP. You'll want a CFI to instruct; that's tjhe most common way to build hours. You'll need 500 hours to fly commercially (as opposed to instructing).
I just turned 41, It had me wondering if I would have enough time to get my commercial if any of the smaller airlines would hire me. Looks like I may be best off to try and work for a charter company or even someone that owns a Citation, King Air etc flying private for them.

I just turned 41, It had me wondering if I would have enough time to get my commercial if any of the smaller airlines would hire me. Looks like I may be best off to try and work for a charter company or even someone that owns a Citation, King Air etc flying private for them.

How much turbine time do you have? Do you have a CE-5xx type rating? You'll need more than just a commercial ticket to fly a Citation, or a King Air, for that matter.

How much turbine time do you have? Do you have a CE-5xx type rating? You'll need more than just a commercial ticket to fly a Citation, or a King Air, for that matter.
Currently all I have is a MEL, I was refering to what I would be able to get in the future,lol I am at roughly 240 HRS, I dont have any other ratings than the instrument and multi. and was just using those aircraft as examples.

Network, network, and network some more. PM groundpointfive and he'll give you a good story. You never know who will let you a fly a jet with a wet CMEL.

The oldest new Hire at Delta in 2014 was 61. Never say never!

The oldest new Hire at Delta in 2014 was 61. Never say never!

THIS! I flew for a regional 24 years and we had a wide range of pilots, from new graduates of flying colleges to retired military and everything between. Dude says he's 40 so he has 25 years left to become an airline pilot. So if he gets busy and acquires the hours, flies at a regional for a few years, then he most certainly can make it to the majors. Follow your heart and dream. You don't know 'til you try! :yesnod:

Network, network, and network some more. PM groundpointfive and he'll give you a good story. You never know who will let you a fly a jet with a wet CMEL.
Thanks, I will drop him a line..

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words and advice. Im just trying to make a life change that would be something that I can enjoy until retiring..

Yep, if they're going to train you ab initio, they may have an issue if you're close to the max age, but as stated most regionals don't care. I had a friend in her mid-40's go through the process with one of the regionals (Colgan or whatever they morphed into if I recall).

Back